Archived ETL Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have fellow senior TL that is pursuing an ETL position within our district, but does not have a 4 year college degree. He has completed most of college but never graduated. Does Target always require college degree for ETL positions or are their exceptions to the requirements.

Just a little confused and curious at the same time, seems like he is wasting my time, but I may be wrong. Thanks!

Greetings and salutations.
Welcome to the Break Room.

Mixed messages on this one.
I have heard of srTLs getting their degrees and moving up but I must say it seems like it's as rare as hens teeth.
The general rule is that most ETLs are hired straight out of college with their degrees already in hand.
Is your friend wasting their time, no not at all.
It's a great thing they are doing.
If all else fails they can get a job at another chain that will appreciate them and pay them well.

Ok thank you for the info. I mean he has been with the company for the better part of 4 years, has moved from FLOW team member to hardlines TL and is now senior TL. So he has the experience with the company just did not know if that helped him at all in a pursuit for an ETL position.

I've heard they might be moving away from the college degree requirement a bit, unsure it actually happens, though. A pubey-faced college kid with a handful of business school ideas still seems to be their preference.

Haha. I know what you mean. It is unfortunate you would think the smart thing is to have experience within the company over anything else. But, it is what it is I suppose.

there's an ETL in our district who does not have a college degree. She just was promoted about 6 months ago so it is possible but i think pretty rare.

From what I saw at my store when I worked there one SrTL (whom I reported to) was making just shy of $25 an hour.. with the holiday pay and such she preferred that over etl.. knowing she only had to work 40 hours... bare in mind she'd been with target for 18 years.

I was just wondering.. What is the normal timeframe for an ETL to become STL.

New STL came in today and said she went through 2 positions before becoming an STL. I was always told it's normally 3 to 4 turns before STL promotion even becomes a thought.

I was told two by my old etl hr, but they prefer one of the two be in hr or logistics.. I'm not sure if that's because those are considered harder or what, but yeah.. that would make sense though, 2x 18.mo rotations being 3 years is a typical time frame to make a big promotion... that's how it works in accounting lol 3 years you become senior from staff.. (unless you're simply amazing I guess you can do it quicker)..

But again this is just what she told me and this was several years ago.. (2009 I believe)

Logistics is heavily metrics driven and everything begins and ends with logistics... You can have an awesome salesfloor, guest experience, and team in place but if you aren't managing your inventory and don't have the merchandise on the floor... Everything else is pretty much pointless.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been by an STL and an ETL that "salesfloor" and "GE" ETL positions are given to those without much experience and being placed in HR, LOG, and AP positions is a sure fire way to get to an STL position.

Logistics is heavily metrics driven and everything begins and ends with logistics... You can have an awesome salesfloor, guest experience, and team in place but if you aren't managing your inventory and don't have the merchandise on the floor... Everything else is pretty much pointless.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been by an STL and an ETL that "salesfloor" and "GE" ETL positions are given to those without much experience and being placed in HR, LOG, and AP positions is a sure fire way to get to an STL position.
Sounds right to me.. my last hardlines ETL who was wanting STL took his second term in log for that reason (to my knowledge)

Based on my sleuthing, one of my ETLs who was offered an STL position (they've been waiting on a store for a year or so) was an ETL-GE, then ETL-HR (current position). My old ETL-AP is gone, too. Moved up to something else, but I don't remember if it was an STL position, so maybe there's truth in this etl-hr/ap thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back