Archived ETL rotation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard, once upon a time, that ETLs typically rotate through different positions every 18 months or so. Two of our ETLs have been with us about three years, the STL has been there over five years, and our other ETL has been with us about a year. Our store is not headed in a good direction and I'm wondering if there's a chance they might move some of our ETLs to different stores (which would probably solve some of our problems).

If the ETLs/STL aren't moving around, that means they aren't doing well enough at their current position to move to a different one. So, that means they either need to shape up, or ship out. And until one or the other happens, you're stuck.

So do ETLs still typically move around every 18 months? Previous to now, two ETLs left for other companies, one was promoted to STL, and only one was transferred to a different store as an ETL. So my store hasn't seen much rotating at all.

Rotating to other stores or to other ETL spots in one store (salesfloor to HR, etc)?

Ideally they ship out to a different store after 18 months and rotate positions depending on their current position and standing. There are catches though on why they don't:

-They refuse to move up (which looks bad, depending on the market. Single stores in plain states I noticed don't look down on this too much)
-They performed poorly and must stay till they are in good standing
-There isn't any room for them to rotate at the time, this is especially difficult if the rotation is going to involve considerable relocation
-It's the holiday seasons (this is highly dependent on situation, my last store got three new ETLs in October which was hell for everyone involved)

I worked store-side for five years and didn't even know this was a thing. My store was always in the top 3 of the district, Always green except stupid conversion metrics and an occasional red raincheck metric. Never had ETLs shift positions (other than to fill a vacant position) or stores.

You don't have to rotate every 18 months, but that is how long you must be in a position before moving to something else. Also you have to be green in all metrics (typically) to transfer or assume another ETL role. Sometimes if you are hot-sh** you can move in less time but 18 months is average. If you are loved by the right person, maybe sleeping with the DTL or STL, you'll get whatever you want in the time frame you want it.

18 months is just a guideline that they like to keep people in role for one position. It's not uncommon for some ETLs to be taken before there 18 months into another assignment. I know some ETL's that have been in the same roll for many years because thats what they like and what they want to do.. I know some ETL's that bounce every 18 months to a new role. One of my friends has been every role, and is contemplating starting the whole cycle over.. Has no desire to be STL.... ETL for life he says. haha

The way it was explained to me was:
Six months to learn the role
Six months to do the role
Six months to branch out into another role

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back