Archived etls paying for their meals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay we've all seen em, whether it be meeting mondays, won't be working wednesdays, or forget working fridays, but Etls (and tls and srtls following their leaders) love to have meetings. For whatever reason, they don't feel like doing what little work they are expected to do, so they do the practical alternatives: meetings!!!

But lately I've been noticing they get large orders of food catered in for themselves. I've also noticed that they cram into the hr office and spend 30 minutes in a meeting deciding what kind of pizza to order. Of course in that scenario, you MUST send the Senior Team Lead (one of the higher paid people in the building) out on company time to pick up your pizza. Okay enough background info...

My question is do they have a corporate spending account or a company card that they charge all this to? I never see them bust out their wallets and say "Hey, it's my turn to buy here's my card" and I truly doubt they posses the basic math skills necessary to cough up cash to cover their portion. So I'm lead to believe they are getting it paid for by target (and then turning around and telling team members that company policy says we can't buy food from outside companies anymore). Anyways what do you guys know about this?

Okay we've all seen em, whether it be meeting mondays, won't be working wednesdays, or forget working fridays, but Etls (and tls and srtls following their leaders) love to have meetings. For whatever reason, they don't feel like doing what little work they are expected to do, so they do the practical alternatives: meetings!!!

But lately I've been noticing they get large orders of food catered in for themselves. I've also noticed that they cram into the hr office and spend 30 minutes in a meeting deciding what kind of pizza to order. Of course in that scenario, you MUST send the Senior Team Lead (one of the higher paid people in the building) out on company time to pick up your pizza. Okay enough background info...

My question is do they have a corporate spending account or a company card that they charge all this to? I never see them bust out their wallets and say "Hey, it's my turn to buy here's my card" and I truly doubt they posses the basic math skills necessary to cough up cash to cover their portion. So I'm lead to believe they are getting it paid for by target (and then turning around and telling team members that company policy says we can't buy food from outside companies anymore). Anyways what do you guys know about this?

We are given a P-Card (credit card) that we are allowed to use for recognition (not paying for lunch every week). Anything we spend comes out of the store expenses. Plus anything we do spend, we have to submit the receipts, what we brought and why we brought it to our district admin at the end of each month. Anything we buy that is not apart of the approved program we are responsible to pay for out of pocket or get a corrective action. When we get lunch at my store everyone usually pitches in

Last edited:
usually they all pitch in, but I imagine sometimes they use their purchasing card from Target.

Yeah they have a credit card with their name and Target Corporation beveled on it. I know because one of them sent me out for donuts one weekend for the morning team.

yeah, and unless you're an idiot, nothing get kicked back. our etlhr spent 1000 bucks on decorations for the breakroom one month. that couldve been a crap load of payroll. our etls eat out every monday. it's not so bad, but having to listen to them waste 45 minutes deciding kills me.

We hear em all the time snickering and deciding what casual place to pick up. Every business is like this though, so I can't really lash out at ETL's for it. lol

This is one TL that HATES meetings. We don't want them, we have stuff to get done like the ever expanding load of paperwork. In my current store the only food we have during these meetings is the water or pop we bring in.

Well they're salaried so they technically have to work on their breaks if the need arises... Guess I can't blame them for indulging a bit more on their breaks.

i disagree. they should have to be on a breakdown just like the team is. we have an early open, mid, closing LOD, plus all their little peers that are there during the day. few reasons they should have to work on their breaks, with the exception of a really wild weekend with call outs or some time of natural disaster. even then, the tlod could help in 99% of the cases. they shouldn't get special privileges just because they are salaried. i don't get to take an extra long breaks because i missed one earlier or get dinner because we're having a meeting. i dang sure don't get to spend time off stage. maybe if they had to work a full shift with monitored breaks they would realize the importance of break timeliness and at least stop bugging me on mine.

most of them at my store take advantange of closed door office time. Which counts as a break in my opinion. They also strategically use the signing computer, recieving computer, etc, during the hardest parts of the day to pad their break times.

most of them at my store take advantange of closed door office time. Which counts as a break in my opinion. They also strategically use the signing computer, recieving computer, etc, during the hardest parts of the day to pad their break times.
You misunderstand. ETLs do not get breaks. None. Nada. Nil. Salaried staff don't get them.

I apologize sir, when my etl-log leaves the building and gets mcdonalds, and then eats it in the breakroom, and goes out onto the floor 30 minutes later, (s)he was obviously working the whole time.

I apologize sir, when my etl-log leaves the building and gets mcdonalds, and then eats it in the breakroom, and goes out onto the floor 30 minutes later, (s)he was obviously working the whole time.

I understand your point, but the ETL's at my store are interrupted during most of their meals. They get many calls at home, many texts, work on extras from home, etc. They always have to be available. They do work hard.

It's not necessarily that they're working, but that they're considered to be "on the clock" at all times because they're salary rather than hourly.

It's part of being salaried... you'll realize this once (if) you get a job outside of retail...

There were several times that my ETLs would having meetings that was catered by Salsarita's or Jason's Deli and come out with a good size amount of left overs. But the ETL HR warned all TMs not to eat the food.

that's another one of my main deals, they get expensive catering brought in to their meetings "for all their hardwork." Even though company policy is no spending money on outside food places.

that's another one of my main deals, they get expensive catering brought in to their meetings "for all their hardwork." Even though company policy is no spending money on outside food places.
I've been in plenty of marathon ETL meetings and 90 percent of the time, when we had food brought in, WE paid for it. Occasionally the STL would foot the bill all on HIS dime. Very seldom did Target actually pay for the food.

I'm not saying it never happened, it just RARELY did. How do you truly know that Target is always, or even frequenlty, footing the bill?

I guess I really don't know, I'm definately open to your post being truthful, and if it is, I would feel alot better about it all! Thanks for the post!

Is it truly "company policy" or does it vary from store to store? I ask because mine has had food brought in for EVERYONE recently and is bringing food in on NYE. Also, my ETL has bought the pharmacy team lunch on more than 1 occasion and charged it to her corp card.

Is it truly "company policy" or does it vary from store to store? I ask because mine has had food brought in for EVERYONE recently and is bringing food in on NYE. Also, my ETL has bought the pharmacy team lunch on more than 1 occasion and charged it to her corp card.
Money is set aside for such purposes. As long as the store does not overspend on that budget, what difference does it make?

Yikes...where to start with this one..

1) Yes we have corporate cards - the STL approves the transactions at the store level monthly
2) Don't generalize all of us ETLs. I, for one, can't remember the last time I had more than a coke and a candy bar during my 12-14 hour days as an ETL.
3) ETLs are actually TOLD to spend large amounts of time planning, meeting, organizing, etc. It's in our core roles to spend less time on the floor and more time planning. Again, don't generalize all of us just because your ETLs waste time.

Every store is different - I've been at stores where the ETLs have a family-type vibe and they do lunch at ETL meetings. I've seen stores where the ETLs think it's OK to requisition everything they eat/drink from SBX and Food Ave. *shrug* In my experience those stores usually don't have great DTL visits either.

Yikes...where to start with this one..

2) Don't generalize all of us ETLs. I, for one, can't remember the last time I had more than a coke and a candy bar during my 12-14 hour days as an ETL.

Sounds like Etls in general also have bad memories...so you work 12 to 14 hours but never ate more than a coke and a candy bar? Yeah right! Also, based off your post I now know that every ETL ever knows nothing about nutrition! lol jk well maybe no kidding lol!

i could probably go 12 hours with a candy bar + coke provided i had a big meal beforehand :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back