Archived Ever Have One of Those Days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

adcamper92

Food Ave Deviant
Looking for a few people that can probably relate here...

I've been at this game for two years now, everyday is a curse and a blessing. I've changed since my cashier days but here lately it seems like I'm doing more self learning in workcenters as opposed to being properly trained. Does anyone else have this problem of having to quickly jump in a workcenter and just learn as you go?

Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge but sometimes it gets very stressful. I think the only thing I'm iffy about is Photo Lab. I can do just about everything over there except changing the ribbon and this past week was a sale. And sometimes I feel like I'm relied on too much, if you know what I mean...I'm part time but however they freak out if we go into overtime. Had so many callouts today and I was on my day off so I came in naturally and first thing I'm hit with a wave of fixing problems.

God I would kill to change workcenters. At my store, cashiers can only change workcenters if they have a career conversion score of 2.5% or above. Even then, sometimes HR would refuse to transfer them for fear of other cashiers leaving. Just keep in mind it could be worse.

God I would kill to change workcenters. At my store, cashiers can only change workcenters if they have a career conversion score of 2.5% or above. Even then, sometimes HR would refuse to transfer them for fear of other cashiers leaving. Just keep in mind it could be worse.

Good luck getting a conversion score that high at my old store..

Believe me, you're not alone. I think the only time my store actually trains someone for a new workcenter is when you're a new hire, or promoting up to GSA/PA/TL... and even then it's minimal sometimes! I've been cross-trained in almost every area of the store except for the front end, and the only workcenter I was actually given time to train in was Instocks.

It happens to the best of us. I came to a new store as an Instocks transfer, got thrown to the salesfloor with no training (not like I really needed it, but I'd never closed before), I've had to learn electronics and how to sound like I'm knowledgeable back there without training, I know a good chunk of PFresh from my backroom days.

That being said, people who are super global tend to be stretched the thinnest. You can take it either as a compliment that they trust you and think you excel at your duties, or you can get grumpy and frustrated because they expect you to outperform your teammates. I get frustrated all the time about it, but I try to think about it as beneficial as often as I can.

As for changing the ribbon, I've never worked photolab for Spot but I have worked with the Kodak printers before. There should be instructions on the box and under the printer door on how to do it. The worst that can happen is the ribbon gets tangled and you have to get a new one again. I'd definitely figure it out and/or ask to be shown before the holidays swing in, people get CRAZY about photos and become super angry fast, and the ribbon running out on the self-print machines was usually the problem I ran into.

I used to cover all of our overnight work centers, sometimes all throughout the same week, or even the same shift. But, eventually, it wore on me, and I just asked to get permanently in the backroom. Honestly its the best decision I ever made. It's not my favorite work center, but the hours are steady and the expectation is shared between you and a team, and that "team dynamic" is important. Show them that you are truly proficient in one area, and then let them know that that is your preferred area. if successful you'll probably start getting scheduled just in that area. In my time at my store I've seen all but 2 backroom team member slots change hands, because more competent people were waiting in the wings. just be patient and they'll figure out what they want your long term assignment to be.

That's crazy! In my store, if someone had great conversion like that, they would NOT want to train them elsewhere because they would always want them cashiering. It makes sense!

That's crazy! In my store, if someone had great conversion like that, they would NOT want to train them elsewhere because they would always want them cashiering. It makes sense!

Seems that way, doesn't it?

well, the kind of psychological gymnastics that take place in that scenario are more than I can explain in my current state of undereducation and excessive inebreation but I will say that it took me MORE THAN TWO YEARS to be so-called "properly cross-trained" anywhere but front end ( for various reasons-some circumstantial, some owing to other people's agendas, mindsets, and misconceptions, and some, if I'm honest, due to my own performance and preferance for what I will and won't do ), and then once THAT took place...

It was little more beyond, "Okay, put that there, do that....straighten that, but don't be too long doing it...put all of those out, but if you don't, do this instead..."

Lots of emphasis on making it look and seem "brand", and, as I'm not at all surprised, a total abandopnment of the idea of things ACTUALLY BEING " BRAND"... ( see my prior posts, or look up the words 'cynical', 'jaded', or 'burnout' for further details...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back