Extended hours

Florida Dawg

Former Cart Attendant Pro and Target Employee
I don’t know if this is countrywide or my store but did anyone hear that Target is extending their hours to close at midnight for the week before and week of Christmas? Just found out not long ago. 🤦‍♂️ Very disappointed.

Really tells you how this company takes Covid seriously. My store dies down a lot after 8 including weekends. It’s so pointless and it seems like Corporate Greed. While I believe Covid is exaggerated and whatnot, All it shows is the social distance freaks and whatnot will all try to come out later if they do and to just piss off more coworkers. They should’ve just stuck to 7-11PM like they been doing. 🤦‍♂️

Yes, this has been known for quite a while and is an absolutely stupid decision.

But on the plus side, Christmas Eve is a 8:00 close which is 2 hours earlier than normal.
True, This company over the years have made people ashamed to be a part of it. Been here for 8 months and I see why now.

The store was super dead the other night from 10-11. Everyone had their phones out, even the LODs, and I think we had a grand total of 4 guests enter the store?

Can't imagine what it'll be like closing at midnight...even worse, I bet
Idk how anyone could be happy about this, It’s a waste of time and a joke. Just another extra hour for no reason. Can’t seem to understand what goes through corporate’s mind at all.

^^ overnights end on Monday?

My store starts the midnight close next Friday, the 11th.
oh sorry i meant like same for my store that we are closing at midnight. im not sure about overnight. i know we have people working overnight but i don’t know when that will end for my store.

I was told it's for fulfillment. A lot of stores are ending overnights starting next week. So, staying open until midnight allows people to keep picking OPUs. We get a lot of orders between 10-12 everynight. Getting to some of those will make handling 90 minute goal times in the morning more manageable.
The crew that has been coming in for overnights in my store usually don’t work closing shifts.

The crew that has been coming in for overnights in my store usually don’t work closing shifts.

I wouldn't have guessed that they would be. My store's overnight OPU pickers have been coming in at midnight with the truck team. There are normally between 300-500 DPCI's in the gun at that point. Right now, that can all get cleared out by 7am (when we typically start getting more orders in the morning) most days. But, inbounds is going back to 4am, so there will be nobody in the building. OPU has to go back to starting at 4am too. Clearing out that gun in the morning becomes a much more difficult process. If the store stays open until midnight that gives the OPU closers an extra hour to pick. Since the store is obviously going to be dead, the closing TL can reassign others to help pick too.

That'll make morning OPUs more manageable and hopefully prevent having to do one of the single most horrible things that can happen to a store's overall process: having to pull the truck team to help out with OPUs, which is a potential ramification of 90 minute goal times in Q4 and ending overnights.

The store was super dead the other night from 10-11. Everyone had their phones out, even the LODs, and I think we had a grand total of 4 guests enter the store?

Can't imagine what it'll be like closing at midnight...even worse, I bet
This is like the opposite for my store we get really busy right near store close and our normal hours were 8-11 and we closed at midnight on friday and the weekends and the cashiers would always still be checking people out 15-20 minutes after we closed. We only have like 2-3 people overnight for fulfillment but corporate is stupid if they end it at almost all stores becasue a lot of orders drop between 8 and 11 and the means we would still have to pick until 9:30/10:30 and can't use overnights to catch up.

They extend hours every year. Yes this year is different but they already went to 11, what's one more hour? I'm not surprised at all.

They extend hours every year. Yes this year is different but they already went to 11, what's one more hour? I'm not surprised at all.
That 1 hour could be used elsewhere more efficiently at my store for sure. I suppose OPU is the only excuse here but I know at my store even OPU is dead that time of night. Picking and packing orders and all that, maybe is still being done, but there's practically nothing happening there after about 9 or 9:30.

I'm not a manager. I'm low on the totem pole, I don't even really CARE about the store budget or whatever. But it was like I could SEE the payroll dollars flying out the window. When 3-4 TMs can stand around talking for 20 minutes and they're not only not reprimanded, but not even noticed because the LODs are having a chat about something and don't care three straws about it, you know there's waste going on.

Of course, they made up for it by being short on hours on the front end the day after. :p

Back