External Hire, GM TL

Hey everyone,
I'm going through my first couple weeks of training and I really want some feedback.
Anyone have anything that they wish their TL did more of? Or something their TL did that they couldn't stand that I can avoid?
I'm just starting to get used to the daily routine, so I'm looking for some specifics to look out for, or a good practice that I might not be thinking of.
Any advice is appreciated!

My golden rule is to stay humble. You wont exactly have the experience of doing the job of the people you lead, but its sad to see leaders use the position of power as an excuse not to get their hands dirty.

So many threads to read........So much advice has already been given.

it boils down to : respect/teamwork/accountability.
-Respecting your TM garners respect for you and better results. Listen, understand, know, find solutions.
-teamwork is required to get it all done. Sometimes you have to pitch in or juggle people around To help out if someone on your team is falling behind/struggling.
-Accountabilty is key to keeping things fair - never play favorites - don’t allow anyone to slack and require others to pick up said slack - it breeds discontent.

I’ve been told recently there are new leadership directives - I’ve seen the paper but didn’t get a chance to fully read it yet.

Wtf are all these post “wHaT dO yOu WiSh yOuR LeADeRs Did”
How about just do your fucking job, whatever it is. You had the fucking training, there will be some on the job learning, but please just do your fucking job.
You are not hired to fucking please people, or be a fucking crutch to them or a fucking shoulder to cry on, Do your fucking job.
If you don’t know what your job is, ask hr and they’ll give you a sheet of paper describing what your fucking job is suppose to be.
Take that sheet of paper, read it and then follow what it says, that’s your fucking job, and that is what I wish my fucking leaders would do, their fucking job.
🤢🤮

How about just do your fucking job, whatever it is. You had the fucking training, there will be some on the job learning, but please just do your fucking job.
You are not hired to fucking please people, or be a fucking crutch to them or a fucking shoulder to cry on, Do your fucking job.
If you don’t know what your job is, ask hr and they’ll give you a sheet of paper describing what your fucking job is suppose to be.
Take that sheet of paper, read it and then follow what it says, that’s your fucking job, and that is what I wish my fucking leaders would do, their fucking job.
🤢🤮
OUCH. Poor poster simply asked for your OPINION on how to do a GOOD job. At this time we are hiring lots of seasonal positions and with unemployment so high many of these people are hoping to stay and want suggestions how that can be achieved. C’mon, calm down.

🤢🤮
Easy, Nicolas Cage. Easy.

So many threads to read........So much advice has already been given.

it boils down to : respect/teamwork/accountability.
-Respecting your TM garners respect for you and better results. Listen, understand, know, find solutions.
-teamwork is required to get it all done. Sometimes you have to pitch in or juggle people around To help out if someone on your team is falling behind/struggling.
-Accountabilty is key to keeping things fair - never play favorites - don’t allow anyone to slack and require others to pick up said slack - it breeds discontent.

I’ve been told recently there are new leadership directives - I’ve seen the paper but didn’t get a chance to fully read it yet.
🤢🤮
I agree with both of these posts, lol, especially the parts that I have bolded.

KEEP IT PROFESSIONAL. It's fine to be friendly and share a laugh, but maintain your professional distance. Hold everyone equally accountable for their work performance. Follow proper protocols when dealing with coachings, attendance issues, etc. If you show what appears to be favoritism, some TMs will take advantage while others will feel resentful. And neither side will respect you as a leader.

Last edited:
🤢🤮
😂😂😂
Thank you so much for your feedback, greatly appreciated.
Obviously the question was looking for things that are specific to Target. "Do your job" isn't groundbreaking. Been a leader for plenty of time at other retailers, and each of the jobs had complaints from team members that were specific to those retailers that never showed up in training. Plenty of those complaints about leadership ended up being the reason for turnover skyrocketing, which makes it harder than necessary to do my job. A happy team doesn't mean their leader has to be a pushover, or a fucking kissass. Nice to have someone above you recognize you as a human being, and not just a tool we're using to "do your job", as you put it, numerous times. Thanks for the input though, hope that rant made your day a little better.
Cheers🍻

😂😂😂
Thank you so much for your feedback, greatly appreciated.
Obviously the question was looking for things that are specific to Target. "Do your job" isn't groundbreaking. Been a leader for plenty of time at other retailers, and each of the jobs had complaints from team members that were specific to those retailers that never showed up in training. Plenty of those complaints about leadership ended up being the reason for turnover skyrocketing, which makes it harder than necessary to do my job. A happy team doesn't mean their leader has to be a pushover, or a fucking kissass. Nice to have someone above you recognize you as a human being, and not just a tool we're using to "do your job", as you put it, numerous times. Thanks for the input though, hope that rant made your day a little better.
Cheers🍻
You’re welcome.

🤢🤮
You are such an asshole all the time.

Back