Archived External New Hire! GSTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I might get some hate; but ehh worth posting. But I was offered a Electronics TM Seasonal position at $12.50; they later called the next day saying they wanted me to be a GSTL because of me being a store manager somewhere. And the pay was good so I did a 3rd interview with the STL. He described the job as the easiest in the store like easier than being a cashier. Don’t know how much truth that is but... but they said it’s not seasonal which is a good thing than I can stay longer with spot but anyways

Just spoke with the HR LEAD and she wants me to come in at 10 to sign the position letter for the GSTL. Can someone who currently works that positions or knows of it let me know the perks and things I should do to be a better leader in the front end.

&& should I negotiate upper pay or stay with base.

5 years of fast food and management experience
2 which is retail and 1 year being a SM @ BBY
21 years old. No college degree.

Negotiate your pay, +3 of what they offer , settle for +2 or +1.80 of the offer.
I dont know why your fucking idiot STL thinks that its a good idea to set the bar so low. According to what you said, if you perform at a cashier’s level you’d be performing at atleast 120%. Sounds like a problem store to me.
Milk these idiots. Milk them good.

Last edited:
&& should I negotiate upper pay or stay with base.

5 years of fast food and management experience
2 which is retail and 1 year being a SM @ BBY
21 years old. No college degree.

Negotiate. If you have management experience, then base pay is underpaying you. They are allowed to offer you more per year of management experience. How much per year depends on what it says on your store's pay chart (confidential, only your HR will know).

Last edited:
Gonna go off of what other people have said... definitely not easy. a lot of work and you are responsible for a lot of people and their performance. You’ll be alright as you do have experience, but easy isn’t a good word for it. If your team around you is strong, it will definitely be easier than if not.

I am GSTL, it's not easier than a cashier. Besides managing a large team with high turn over, you are also responsible for your end caps, service desk and see spot which is never ending. Empower your cashiers to make decisions.Train all your competent cashiers for the service desk. Stay on top of your attendance and performance discussions if possible. Sometimes it's impossible to break away from the front lanes. Be prepared to having to say yes to the most ridiculous returns.

I know I might get some hate; but ehh worth posting. But I was offered a Electronics TM Seasonal position at $12.50; they later called the next day saying they wanted me to be a GSTL because of me being a store manager somewhere. And the pay was good so I did a 3rd interview with the STL. He described the job as the easiest in the store like easier than being a cashier. Don’t know how much truth that is but... but they said it’s not seasonal which is a good thing than I can stay longer with spot but anyways

screen-shot-2017-05-25-at-6-35-25-am-1495690657.png

You have to be able to manage your resources well. It all depends upon your team and the Leaders in your store.

If GSTL is so easy, why is your store hiring one from outside the company? Internals (team members ... aka other employees) would be lining up for the job.

It's definitely not the most difficult job in the store. You have to have a knack for it. A lot of people are terrible at it.

Good luck.

Gstl is all talent management and damage control. You’ll have one of if not the largest team to manage so if you’re not great with difficult conversation, maybe not best for you. You’ll typically be balls to the walls or hired out of your mind. It’s nit an easy job but if you do it right and do it well it’s a great way to to show how good of a leader you can be. Sales floor TLs aren’t as public and noticed as much as a GSTl

I think that GSTL is the easiest TL position, but you have to be okay with managing high schoolers (and the drama that comes with them) and having it be your job to have soccer moms and drug addicts yell at you on a regular basis.

Well, you've been in management so you already know it is not at all as easy as a cashier. Makes me wonder what is happening in that store...is the GSTL not as supported because it is thought of as easy? It is the only TL position that has actual assistants (GSAs) so maybe that gives the impression of easy? None of the TL jobs are easy but with your experience managing people you will likely do well in the role. Good luck!

As a GSTL some things you'll have to deal with:

1) cashier calls off....and no replacement is called in.
2) no cart attendant....you've got to get someone else to bring in carts.....not an easy task on many days.
3) cashiers call for back-up and no one responds......call a second time.....maybe you get lucky.
4) you must deal with guests who can....be rude...yell at TMs...getting nasty because they have 60 items in their cart and can't understand why they must move.
5) if you are not forceful you may miss your breaks.
6) when you close you're there usually half an hour later than closing.
7) being aware of shop lifters.
8) you will be working with security a lot.
9) if there is a mess in a bathroom....only TLs can clean up many of those messes.
10) a GSTL will have to give up a cashier (often) if there's a need on the floor to zone or do reshop.
11) schedules written that neglect to let you have more than one cashier for the last 45 minutes on a Saturday night. (A very busy time most weekends.)
12) depending on the store you may have to do Food Ave when it is their break time.
13) cash registers that constantly crash.
14) cashiers who complain about their scheduled break time or lunch time.
15) cashier shifts tend to be 4 or 5 hour shifts so you can have multiple call offs a day.
16) guests who argue about a price of an item.
17) $5.00 gift cards that guests get for a certain weekly purchase....guests argue about most issues...even when they have wrong products.
18) issues with guests who bring coupons

Look, I'm not trying to discourage from choosing this job....I'm just trying to point out things that happen on a daily basis. To be a GSTL you must be patient, have a backbone, don't take guests opinions as gospel, no matter how busy it gets you can never let people know that you are upset.

These things are the reality of what a GSTL does on a daily shift and remember that you will have ETLs and an STL giving you pressure to get everything done every shift every day.
Just a heads up......if you're ready for these things, then go for it. If you aren't sure, don't get locked into this position at the start of the fourth quarter...the busiest time of the year that seems never ending at times.

Good luck on your decision and please let us know what you decided!

Oh...all this along with you daily projects!

Last edited:
I think the biggest thing when I started as an external is you need to get your GSAs up to your expectations and from there each shift will run itself well. Being as you have also heard about possible turnover and calls in I also make sure I am looking for development on a daily basis and utilizing those to cross train across the board. I also set it up with my HR to where each and every cashier coming in is also cross trained on SCO from the get go, it just helps with breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back