Archived Fa tl

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was just recently promoted to FA TL. I'm super excited and I start my training at another store in three weeks. I've worked in food ave before but was never properly trained to do it. It's been about three years since then. I've got the basics down, but does anyone have any advice or secret tips about FA that may not get covered in my training? When do you find the time to get your Walk The Vibe booklet done? I feel like I really have a big opportunity to turn the area around since it's been red in service scores across the boards, something is always broken (the toaster, popcorn machine, soda fountain), or we're out of product. I don't blame the team so much over there. They haven't had a TL in forever. My target cafe doesn't include pizza hut and we don't have a Starbucks attached. It's an old store that missed it's chance already to get updated since we already went through our remodel process. With that being said, I really feel it shouldn't be a problem with staying clean, keeping machines fixed, and keeping food product in stock. It's just a matter of service and getting people to do the surveys since I feel we lack the pizza hut aspect.

Anyways, now I'm just starting to ramble. Any tips or advice for a new team lead would be greatly appreciated. I've been with Target for six years as a team member in a number of areas including all of front lanes, salesfloor, and logistics. The only work center I've never really had experience in is price accuracy.

Congrats!
Our FATL does his paperwork during the week when the mid shows up. By then, prep's already done & everything ready for lunch.
Looks like you've already noticed opps so work on becoming the "one who gets things done": make sure your team communicates problems quickly before they escalate (ie: getting a work order in & escalated if necessary on broken equip). Once you get a handle on things, teach your TMs so they'll be empowered as well. Since you don't have Pizza hut/Starbux, focus on up-selling ("Make that a combo today for only xx more?") & play up the giftcard drawing instead of just focusing on the survey.

About the guest surveys, can a guest still enter it three times per drawing? And is it still by district? I've been in logistics for the last three years so it's been awhile since I've pushed surveys. I'm assuming the rules probably changed since. I know the questions did to match with vibe. From what my STL told me a few days ago, green is a 9 or 10. Anything lower is graded poorly.

Don't know about the 3 times.
We had a TM tell guests that their chances for winning the giftcard depended on how good a review they gave.
*shakes head in disbelief*

Granted it's been 3 years, but I've worked a few shifts at Food Ave. Personally, I despised it. I didn't mind covering breaks or lunches, but dreaded working full shifts. Congratulations on landing a TL position, though! And if you enjoy the workcenter, that's really all that matters.

The only advice I can really give is making sure you have dates, dates, dates on everything! Also, make sure paperwork (there is a lot of it) is being filled out and filed correctly on every shift (temp logs, etc.) These are the two things our FA TL was adamant about, and we were almost always in the Green.

Good luck in your new role!

Basically keep everything clean and in check with Steritech and your state's food service guidelines. There are a lot of simple tricks to clean some of the more troublesome equipment. Sprite or icecubes for the hotdog roller. Lay the food service paper sheets down in the hotdog warmer and pretzel tubs for the rest of the night after cleaning them.

Keep your team motivated. One of the biggest problems I witnessed with Food Ave is that my TLs never helped keep the team motivated. When my FAs had lack luster performers, all the problems were kept secret. Problems grew and food service quality dropped.

Also Food Ave seems to be one of the most abused areas. Whole teams bombarding FA all at once. TMs leaving trash and dirty tables. Enforce rules with other areas if you have to.

Dates...everything needs to have accurate dates

Communication...keep your Team appraised of news, training, and ordering/inventory. Its always good to have some of your best TMs to know how to order in case you are out. Have communications on when there is something new, or you are out of an item.

Last edited:
Congrates on the new position and upgrade.

Communication and documenting issues, as they arise, and the follow/up are also very important

'buliSBI' Makes a great point when s(he) says:
"Keep your team motivated. One of the biggest problems I witnessed with Food Ave is that my TLs never helped keep the team motivated. When my FAs had lack luster performers, all the problems were kept secret. Problems grew and food service quality dropped."

The best of luck (believe it or not, some of your luck, you make yourself, be it 'good' or 'bad') and I hope that you can find a way to attract more traffic thru your area and keep ahead of things *before* they really become issues!

Thank you guys for the great advice. I start training the week after next for two weeks and then I start my venture into FA TL. I've done Food Ave before quite a few times at an old store. They would switch me back and forth between Starbucks and Food Ave, but unfortunately I never got trained properly for both areas. It'll be nice to finally get some training in.

Definitely appreciate the tips. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back