Archived Failed Drug Test, went to Orientation today; WHAT NEXT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings Break Room!
My time with Target began about a week ago. I was called in for an interview and it went swimmingly. I was offered a $9/hr job as a Backroom Day stocker, which is above minimum in my state, and being unemployed at the time, I thought "yes yes yes."
It was all okay until I had to go in for the drug test.
I went the same day, assuming I could pick up some hand warmers to keep my fake urine between 90-100 degrees.
Long story short, that didn't pan out, and I ended up just using my own urine (bad call considering I had smoked a few grams with a friend the day before), thinking I was toast.

After that horrible and anxious experience, I thought target was out of my life.
But then!
Strange missed call on my phone.. follow it up: its Target: I'm to report to orientation the following Monday (which was today!).

See friends, I know that I failed. But! My specimen was definitely sent to the lab for further analysis, which my conditional hire form stated should not negatively affect my employment.

Keeping this in mind, how long do I have left at Target?
-Is there anyway to do a retest, to prove I no longer have THC in my system? (I have self-tested periodically since then to ensure no repeats of this until I have a steady job)
-Should I just be honest? I've seen an internet posting about someone keeping their Target job after just fessing up to smoking once the results come in .. I am an excellent worker who never gives up, I could prove my worth if given the chance.

I want to stay on board here and am looking forward to your input. This site has been very helpful for me in preparing for the interview and having a basic understanding of Target's strange culture.
Regards,
jeffbee

This can go one of two ways.
They will get the results a little while down the road and you will be fired.

Or by some wild piece of luck they missed you (just like false positives, it can go the other way).
But don't count on it.

They don't retest as far as I know.
You might be able to reapply down the road but it's going to be a while

My advice would have been to stay clean until you had the job and I live in a state where it's legal.

If they miss it, consider yourself lucky. But if they catch it, I can't see them accepting an apology and moving on since you will be a Backroom TM. That is one of the most hazardous jobs in the store, as it involves carrying boxes up tall ladders and dealing with powered equipment on a daily basis.

We once had a TM fall 12 feet and break both his arms just because he wasn't being careful. So you definitely need a clear head for this job.

We once had a TM fall 12 feet and break both his arms just because he wasn't being careful. So you definitely need a clear head for this job.
jeezus christ!! that makes me fearful.
must stay alert at all times.. can't let any slip-ups like that happen to me..
the worst (only?) job related injury i've ever sustained has been slicing my finger open.. on break. god-damn arts and crafts projects..

Or by some wild piece of luck they missed you (just like false positives, it can go the other way).
But don't count on it.
My advice would have been to stay clean until you had the job and I live in a state where it's legal.
this is how I am playing it right now!! there's no reason to exclude myself from possible employment opportunities.
the most I ever see myself doing is declaring my prescription.. we'll see I guess..

Man dont do anything about it, your on and thats that.
just do your job, did you have a previous job?

I know someone who didn't take the test the same day they were asked. Target considered him a non-hire.

Have never smoked, however, it should just be legalized. I have worked with plenty of hard working pot heads and plenty of not hard working ones.

That being said, you knew about the drug test, just don't smoke until you get a job and when you do work your ass off to keep it.

I'm not sure how thorough Target is about making sure everyone passes a drug test. They didn't drug test seasonal hires, but said anyone asked to stay on would have to pass a test. I never did, and don't get the impression that many others did either.

That said, the results of your test are somewhere, and whoever realizes that you failed will not have a choice but to fire you. If the results were lost then they probably won't realize, but I have to think that's exceptionally rare.

You get paid for orientation and get a temporary discount card, so enjoy the perks while they last, but don't plan on being around long.

Hopefully they just get rid of the marijuana portion of the drug test, it's going to be legalized soon anyway.

I don't think smoking is bad at all if you do it after work, just like how you wouldn't drink and come to work.

Good luck with getting hired on! If it doesn't pan out you can apply again down the road.

All I can say is that the OP was under a reportable limit or any trace samples were not detectable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back