Archived Fake gift card texts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else had a bunch of guests come in claiming that they got a text from Target saying they had won a free $400 gift card? We have had several people come to try and claim them! Apparently they are directed to go to a website that looks just like the real Target.com and give a bunch of personal information. Just wondering how widespread this is or of it is just our area?

Has anyone else had a bunch of guests come in claiming that they got a text from Target saying they had won a free $400 gift card? We have had several people come to try and claim them! Apparently they are directed to go to a website that looks just like the real Target.com and give a bunch of personal information. Just wondering how widespread this is or of it is just our area?
Look at that link-
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/05...rry-you-did-not-win-a-1-000-target-gift-card/

I can't say much about this because I don't work at the guest service desk, but I have heard of the scam before.

One lady showed me the text and the website she was supposed to go to was target.com.biz or something like that. It seems like it's mostly elderly people who have been getting them.

people have been walking up to us at the desk asking about them, we have also been getting alot of phone calls about it too, I hope it stops soon.

I've been getting those texts a lot lately. It's starting to get really ****ing annoying.

I was getting them on my cell phone; then several coworkers reported the same thing so, yeh, down here too.

Good qestion, since we registered our cells on the nat'l do-not-call list.

Unless the calls are coming from a country that doesn't subscribe to the don't call rule.
You'll fine a fair number of those coming out of Canada.

I recieved a text for this. It claimed I won from a contest I entered last month, problem is; the target near me isn't even finished being built therefore I haven't been to a Target or shopped at one in six months. Lol

I hope this scam thing stops, bet they're stealing a lot of personal info from people who don't know any better.

We have been getting those msgs but what i don't understand is why are ppl so QUICK to give out personal info?

But then some of them really dig their heels in when we want their social for a red card.

We have been getting those msgs but what i don't understand is why are ppl so QUICK to give out personal info?

What you you expect with Facebook and Twitter?(neither of which I have or would ever want)

People who use those sites have no restraint when giving out personal info.

This sums up my opinion of Facebook(skip to about 28 seconds in the video)

http://comedians.jokes.com/pete-holmes/videos/pete-holmes---privacy-is-uncool

Anyway it seems like it may be a bunch of scammers doing it with different retailers because got a text last week supposedly from Best Buy(yeah right) that I won a drawing for a $1000 gift card. I rolled my eyes considering I haven't been to Best But in years even if I was you can tell it is a scam. It reminds me of the time I got an email that I won the British Lottery or the time I got an email that a Nigerian banker needed all my banking and personal info so he could send me my portion of millions of dollars for helping him transfer it.(and no I didn't open either of them I peiced the info together from the subject title)

It really makes me wonder how stupid people have to be to believe these types of things.

Yeah, I got one text from Walmart once when they got hit with the scam. It was, however, just a couple of weeks after I had gotten my laptop from them and had signed up for text alerts when it would be available for pick up. So it gave me pause for about half a second before I deleted it. But had I not been that savvy, the timing of it and the fact that Walmart legitimately had my cellphone number jut a few weeks earlier might have made me fall for it.

Or their phone number for the Rx Rewards....

That's always fun. One lady saw the print on the side of the card reader that says they may receive phone calls (which I haven't heard of anybody receiving any phone calls from Rx Rewards) and said she didn't want it. That's when I learned that there is apparently no way to void an Rx Rewards app short of rebooting the register. Can't void transaction, suspend, anything.

Yeah, I got one text from Walmart once when they got hit with the scam. It was, however, just a couple of weeks after I had gotten my laptop from them and had signed up for text alerts when it would be available for pick up. So it gave me pause for about half a second before I deleted it. But had I not been that savvy, the timing of it and the fact that Walmart legitimately had my cellphone number jut a few weeks earlier might have made me fall for it.

I got one from them a while back, too. I could tell just from the atrocious spelling that it was fake, but some of those scammers are pretty good. I play World of Warcraft, so I regularly get emailed phishing attempts (for those that don't play, they'll steal your game login info, steal all of your in-game money, and turn around and sell it for real money). Most of them are obvious, but they're getting better and better. With some of them, I could only tell they were fake by hovering my mouse over the link to their site and seeing that it points to something fake like "worldofwarcraftgame.blizzard.com.cn/steal-your-login-info"

I got one from them a while back, too. I could tell just from the atrocious spelling that it was fake, but some of those scammers are pretty good. I play World of Warcraft, so I regularly get emailed phishing attempts (for those that don't play, they'll steal your game login info, steal all of your in-game money, and turn around and sell it for real money). Most of them are obvious, but they're getting better and better. With some of them, I could only tell they were fake by hovering my mouse over the link to their site and seeing that it points to something fake like "worldofwarcraftgame.blizzard.com.cn/steal-your-login-info"

I play too and remember the days when those were done in Chinglish and worse.
Nowadays they have gotten very sophisticated and I've had a couple of friends who should have known better who got nailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back