Archived Family working with family!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a heated debate with me because back in June or July of 2010, my mom was working for target and I was denied a job to work in softlines because she worked in softlines. I refused to work as a cashier or in hard lines because I worked in retail before.

Now, in this current day, we have a mother and daughter working together in softlines. Also, a softlines team lead stepped down, and the gstl took her position. The gstl happens to be the sister of a softlines team member in softlines. So there is sisters in softlines working together, one a team lead and one a team member.

I got denied four years ago, so is it mysteriously allowed now?

Relatives are not allowed to be in positions of power over each other (ie TL and TM in the same department), but two TMs can be related to each other, even in the same department. You may wish to refer to the dating thread here, because the rules are pretty much the same afaik.

So wouldn't ready to wear and middle still be considered the same department? The two sisters one is a brand merchandiser right now for assessories and activewear, but we are getting rid of the brand merchandiser position, but I'm sure she will still be setting the pogs for the middle because no one else will. Then, her sister, the team lead is the ready to wear pog/adjacency setter and team lead for all of softlines too. So it upsets me because back then they denied me that job.
Relatives are not allowed to be in positions of power over each other (ie TL and TM in the same department), but two TMs can be related to each other, even in the same department. You may wish to refer to the dating thread here, because the rules are pretty much the same afaik.
uld

We have two Sr. TL's whose children work at our store. One whose daughter is a CTL, the other who has three daughters working for spot, one as a cashier, one as a starbucks barista, and a third as a ETL, though the ETL works at a neighboring store.

Do they work in the same department though.
We have two Sr. TL's whose children work at our store. One whose daughter is a CTL, the other who has three daughters working for spot, one as a cashier, one as a starbucks barista, and a third as a ETL, though the ETL works at a neighboring store.

The Sr. TL's regularly have LOD duties, so they're departments pretty much the store.

We have mothers daughters husbands wives in same dept. Usually not a problem, except, on occasion, the husband thinks "he's a leader in his own mind" lol

Our flow team was made up of all kinds of family.
We had a mother/daughter on softlines for a while but the daughter went to college and there were brothers in electronics.

Anywhere I worked, with the exception of small family companies, no family members could work in the same store or on the same project because of nepotism. It baffles me how target allows it.

I think it should be allowed. 100%. People can favor non-relatives just as much as relatives. You don't get rid of favoritism by banning families from working together, you get rid of favoritism by being strict and firing people at the first sign of unwanted behaviour.

Then again, I'm about the least likely person I've ever met to show a relative favoritism. It angers my grandmother that family reunions don't interest me and that I state that family members mean no more to me than any random person off the street, that having similar DNA does not increase their importance to me.

There are some family members I give a shit about, but I don't give a shit because they're family, it's their actions that make me care about them more than I do the random guy down the street who I've never spoken to.

She's of the mindset that I need to go to such gatherings to get to know them, I'm of the mindset that I can go to the bar, meet people there, and have essentially done the same thing.

There is so much wrong information in this thread. You are not allowed to be romantically involved with someone in HR, AP, or that you supervise. There is nothing, whatsoever, wrong with family members working in the same work center or working under one another.

Again, there is nothing wrong with family members working in the same department.

There is so much wrong information in this thread. You are not allowed to be romantically involved with someone in HR, AP, or that you supervise. There is nothing, whatsoever, wrong with family members working in the same work center or working under one another.

Again, there is nothing wrong with family members working in the same department.

I've worked for years in the same section as my wife (we are not it the same section now). We even take different vacations just to keep peace. To think that we are going to follow the same schedule (albeit we do at times now) or have the same days off is stupid. If anyone does this, even for their friends, they are totally wrong in their point of view. There is no Nepotism here, in that it involves a higher up to hire their relative. Sure, if I go to the hospital on an emergency, my wife is sure to follow along. The same could be said about a friend that works with me. That's called a team.

Family's shouldnt work together. If you're a TL...and your wife/husband is a TM. And you catch them doing something that deserves a write up. For example "loafing". My store has a strict no loafing policy, our STL wants all the leaders to do write ups even for 1st offenseS. I would put money on it you would look the other way and don't write them up.

I've worked for years in the same section as my wife (we are not it the same section now). We even take different vacations just to keep peace. To think that we are going to follow the same schedule (albeit we do at times now) or have the same days off is stupid. If anyone does this, even for their friends, they are totally wrong in their point of view. There is no Nepotism here, in that it involves a higher up to hire their relative. Sure, if I go to the hospital on an emergency, my wife is sure to follow along. The same could be said about a friend that works with me. That's called a team.

Why did you quote me and then preach about taking different vacations or time off, I didn't mention anything at all about that.

I would put money on it you would look the other way and don't write them up.

Why? The idea of being more strict on your family members so to as make an example out of them doesn't seem to appear logical to you, but it's what most TL's that care about their job would do. It's certainly what I'd do. If anything if I worked over my family I'd be much harder on them than on anyone else to insure there were never any questions about potential favoritism being displayed.

I have seen husband and wives, sisters, and mom and kids working the same store, same shifts, and same areas. As long as one doesn't have a supervisory duties over another its not a conflict of interest.

If one is a TL and the other is a TM, they have to work in separate areas.

A mother works in softlines and her son works as a cashier.

No TL/TM issues.

We have tons of family that work together - but not in a direct supervisory role. The only case I did not like was an ETL who was the aunt of my TL. LODs should not be allowed to work in a store with another relative, period.

LODs should not be allowed to work in a store with another relative, period.

Both of our Sr. TL's who have daughters working at the store are frequently LOD. While I see the potential for abuse, I don't think it's very likely and it doesn't personally bother me.

Both of our Sr. TL's who have daughters working at the store are frequently LOD. While I see the potential for abuse, I don't think it's very likely and it doesn't personally bother me.

Not all situations are bad but to avoid nepotism, LODs shouldn't have relatives working when they are LOD. My other TLs often complained about how an ETL mistreated them however showed favor in her relative.

I would have loved to work with my brother because we work well together and get stuff done efficiently. But I would have never gotten away with him being on my team because other's would think I favored him.

Why did you quote me and then preach about taking different vacations or time off, I didn't mention anything at all about that.[/QUOTE]

In agreement.

I would put money on it you would look the other way and don't write them up.

Why? The idea of being more strict on your family members so to as make an example out of them doesn't seem to appear logical to you, but it's what most TL's that care about their job would do. It's certainly what I'd do. If anything if I worked over my family I'd be much harder on them than on anyone else to insure there were never any questions about potential favoritism being displayed.
For example you work with your wife/husband. You writing them up would term them because they had priors. You're already struggling as it is money wise. Would you still write them up knowing they will loose their job and make you homeless? TLs shouldn't be put under that pressure.

I know my example was a little much but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back