Archived Favoritism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else see evidence of extreme favoritism at their store? Two tms who have worked for us a while have family members who have started working at my store as well. Those family members are getting the time off they want, better/more hours, scheduled in their preferred work center all the time (even though they are cross trained) etc.

I work at an A-volume store and we have lost a lot of tms who have returned to college or just moved on. So we desperately needed some new hirees. However, our management recently went on a hiring spree and hired approximately ten new tms within the past two weeks. They are going to work in various departments, but I just took a look at our newest schedule, and they generally seem to have more hours than the rest of us. How is this fair? Does seniority count for nothing? I have been with my store nearly a year now and have a completely open schedule. I just don't understand this.

My store does display some favoritism. When hours are cut, the people who are less reliable or just not 'as good' seem to have their hours cut more.

Example, I'm not a cashier, but hours were cut this week, but I have a cashier shift to make up for some of the cuts. While our not so reliable cashiers have just had their hours cut.

Does that make sense? Some favoritism is earned, while some is just crappy. Are the newer TMs related to HR TMs? That's really the only people (and some TLs) that control scheduling.

Ck your voice or text messages. It depends on your pay, now a days. If you r pay is at 12.00 an hour, get 2 folks at 9.00 an hour, instead.

The store I used to work at had a lot of favoritism. STL and GSTL super close. That same GSTL is super close with a GSA. Both the GSA and GSTL are terrible performers who only start drama, create a hostile work environment, and never hold themselves or each other accountable. That same GSA is trying to be TL but doesn't do much of anything at the checklanes but because she's close to the GSTL, she never has to. STL brushes everything off because he trusts his GSTL and blames others. It's honestly pretty ridiculous. I've watched numerous team members move up the ladder because of who they are close to. It's never a surprise. Sickening though.

The store I used to work at had a lot of favoritism. STL and GSTL super close. That same GSTL is super close with a GSA. Both the GSA and GSTL are terrible performers who only start drama, create a hostile work environment, and never hold themselves or each other accountable. That same GSA is trying to be TL but doesn't do much of anything at the checklanes but because she's close to the GSTL, she never has to. STL brushes everything off because he trusts his GSTL and blames others. It's honestly pretty ridiculous. I've watched numerous team members move up the ladder because of who they are close to. It's never a surprise. Sickening though.
I hated having to hear this, but it sounds so much like my last store. Hard work meant nothing.

@SeeSpotVibe and @cmat21, did we work at the same store? Jk. Lol.

For real though, it's a shame that this shit happens. We actually had an STL and ETL get caught in the STL office at a previous store. Yuck!

We had a few TLs that just walked around talking to the ETLs or STL all day. Don't ask me what "work" they did, because I honestly don't know.

For real though, it's a shame that this shit happens. We actually had an STL and ETL get caught in the STL office at a previous store. Yuck!

We had a few TLs that just walked around talking to the ETLs or STL all day. Don't ask me what "work" they did, because I honestly don't know.
Same company, close enough! My old ETL-HR got caught getting down and dirty in her office... Didn't get fired. Got transferred after a few months. We also had an ETL screwing a pharmacy team member... Gave her an STI. She got fired for telling the ETL-HR about it. He stayed for another year.
Don't even get me started on lazy TLs... there were truly great ones, but also truly terrible ones.

You ever worked in Atlanta? If so we very well may have been at one of the same stores. They are so quick to get on your ass over little shit, but let others get away with anything... Meanwhile said TL or SrTL be in the office on their phone

Same company, close enough! My old ETL-HR got caught getting down and dirty in her office... Didn't get fired. Got transferred after a few months. We also had an ETL screwing a pharmacy team member... Gave her an STI. She got fired for telling the ETL-HR about it. He stayed for another year.
Don't even get me started on lazy TLs... there were truly great ones, but also truly terrible ones.
The bad ones outway the good ones though is the problem. It don't matter row long or good you are at the job, if you can kiss enough ass you're clearly TL potential.

Ohh how to escape the favoritism? It's just not possible. I come from a cluster fuck of related or dating/married employees. When our ETL HR first started, she looked at a list of employees and said "wow." Just amazed at how many people shared last names lol.

It's socks at my store everyone seems to be blood related or something.and there married to.and if you kiss enough ass you get promoted.even if you suckered at your job

New hires tend to get more hours for the first two weeks in order to give them lots of experience on the job. It should even out after that (especially with Halloween sales ramping up).

Favourtism exists everywhere.

That it does. It exists everywhere and at every level. Once you get to a certain level it's called "retail politics". Unfortunately, favoritism/politics will never go away. So you have to make a decision to either play the game or sh#t and get off the pot.

You ever worked in Atlanta? If so we very well may have been at one of the same stores. They are so quick to get on your ass over little shit, but let others get away with anything... Meanwhile said TL or SrTL be in the office on their phone
No, not even close to Atlanta. Damn! It's so crazy how many of us have seen similar BS. The company as a whole seems to suck nowadays.

We have a real problem with it at my store as well. One team member in particular never has to pull her own weight, she's a cashier and she just stands and talks and they give her minimal tasks that aren't even important just because she doesn't like being on a lane. They'll call for back up before they have her, a cashier, get on the lane.

I mean my store shows favoritism towards employees who actually work. Like another person said, work hard and get cross trained and most likely you'll be working in other work centers. I know it's like that for me. They also usually call me or ask me to stay longer to work other centers. Just work hard, and train in other areas. Pick up shifts and you'll almost always have 40.

Yup. Had two GSA's that showed favoritism.
Worked with one girl who said she didn't want to go to the back to get boxes of plastic bags (nothing was wrong with her, just lazy), while i was yelled at the same instance by the GSA because i was standing at my register (it was slow, but my Target didn't like cashier's standing there if it was slow). She would also yell at me in front of customers.

Another GSA would always talk to a cashier for the whole shift. She would yell at others over small stuff (one night me and a coworker were told to go zone another dept. despite us being the only 2 cashiers there) and were expected to come back if a customer came. She would also yell at us (cashiers) if she seen an abandoned and tell us to pick it up (even tho she would have walked right by it). Luckily she was fired a few months after i quit.

Not sure if it's favoritism, but I know which tms always come in when I have to replace shifts. I start by calling them. It can take a lot of time to go through a long list of tms to get someone who wants to come in. We're already short handed at that point, so I'd rather make fewer calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back