Archived Feeling kind of lied to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewing from an ETL perspective- Barely had chance to read application. Only full time hours, 32+, are guaranteed for TLs, equivalent, and higher. All TMs are part time, minimum of 4 hours a week, nothing higher is guaranteed. Technically they didn't lie unless you flat out asked, do I get benefits or am I full time? There are full time positions, TLs, and up until recently, TMs over 24 hours on average were eligible for benefits. I make it clear that TMs are only guaranteed 4 hours but I say what the average hours are for TMs, roughly 18-24 hours for most. If you were awesome I gave you a consistent 32+ even if I didn't have the hours. People who needed the money worked the best. Call outs evened the game. Lazy folks who did poorly but not poorly enough to fire got the 4 hours. For the first 90 days I didn't care what your schedule was. I only hired open availability. If you missed 2 days during the 90 you were termed, no questions asked because under that period I didn't need an explanation. TMs that impressed or wanted to learn more got more hours.

The hours you want on the application are not even read. For TM positions I didn't care about any of it. Only looked at availability and how well you interviewed. I've had too many horrible interviews to care about your work history. It's easy to lie on those things anyway because ultimately the person just needs a job. You are alive, you can lift a box, you understand enough English to get by, hired. If 50% of the people hired make it past the first week then it's good.

Benefits? Better to sign up for Obamacare.

A lot of my TMS who were hired before I showed up thought they were full time. Rude awakening when Target started slashing and everyone went from 32+ to 18. I also kept my numbers up until the team knew I was serious about attendance. They understood that 1100 hours / 50 people is higher than dividing by 72.

Advice: Run as fast as you can

Really interesting and insightful to get a response from the ETL-end of interviews on this one

Last edited:
  1. I guess one could argue that the answers given to the questions I asked at my interview were about employment at the store in general and not my specific job, but I feel as though I may have been horribly misled.... I asked if there was a full-time position available and was told "Yes, we have full-time jobs." I guess I was being overly presumptuous to assume that meant the position they were offering me was full-time because they did not specify otherwise. Then, I asked if there were benefits. Of course, what I meant was "Will I have benefits?" My interviewer started to explain a bit, but changed her mind and just gave me a straight-up "yes." Her answer was something along the lines of "Well, if you've been here for 90 days, and . . . eh, yeah. Yeah, we've got them." After giving these responses about full-time positions and benefits, I was immediately offered a cashier job by the same person on the same day, leading me to believe as a result of the interview that this was a full-time job with benefits (possibly after 90 days.
Bolded your logic errors. Get information before coming to conclusions and ask follow up questions when you get obviously shaky answers like the one about benefits.

At my interview, I had requested 40 hours a week, and my TL said that he couldn't guarantee that, but "they" would try to accommodate me. I didn't get half of that until closer to Christmas.

Since I promoted to GSA I've gotten 32+ every week, except the couple of weeks where I took a 5-day weekend, and I still got ~31 by picking up salesfloor hours from the SrTL SF, so I'm on track for insurance next year. GSA is one of the very few TM positions at my store that comes with 30+ regularly, the others being plano, HR (our lone HRTM), our lone brand TM in softlines, electronics, PA, backroom, receiving/RL, and I think that's it. Basically things with 1-2 people with set schedules or 3-5 people who work in areas the require full or nearly full coverage (either on a process team or GSA/electronics/PA). I don't think any of our cashiers gets more than 25 unless they pick up shifts, and some get as few as 4-9 hours a week. Our cashiers are 100% retirees or 16 year olds though (barring the occasionals used for coverage whose main role is elsewhere).
What your electronics gets 30 plus a week. When i changed workcenters to elecctronics i ws getting 20 or less, mind you that was in December. I still never get more than 20 hrs a week.

How it went for most of us was, "I'm only interested in full time employment."
"Only our managers are considered full time but if you want 40 hours that's no problem."
Also, people were and still are hired and transfer from other stores for one position or work center but don't actually get to do whatever they are promised.

Also, as many of you know, hours alloted per work center change with the season. 4th quarter has the most hours, BTS is next, then the rest of the year is horrible

I warned you not to sell your song.
The good ETLS wouldn't have misled you, this one did.
They won't give you what you want but it doesn't sound like there are many options in your area which is the problem many people face in this country.
Keep looking for something else and get ready to jump.

Yeah our electronics TMs generally get ~ 30 a week (not sure how many are technically hardlines so getting screwed on pay though). We only have 4 people who regularly work there.

Sometimes it's a lie of omission. We have an ongoing problem of people switching to workcenters where the pay is higher but they have to go as far as calling corporate in order to get that pay. It's happened again and again and our store. They keep getting excuses so they call then the raise and back pay is on the next check.

We had a girl transfer to electronics. Six months later, I mentioned to her that it was a higher pay grade, and to talk to the ETL-HR. The ETL-HR was more interested in finding out who told her it was a higher pay grade than getting her the actual raise. The SrTL over electronics at the time was horrified to find out she hadn't gotten it yet when he overheard us discussing it, and at least confirmed to us that I wasn't completely making it up. It took her nearly a month to get the raise and back pay.

We had a girl transfer to electronics. Six months later, I mentioned to her that it was a higher pay grade, and to talk to the ETL-HR. The ETL-HR was more interested in finding out who told her it was a higher pay grade than getting her the actual raise. The SrTL over electronics at the time was horrified to find out she hadn't gotten it yet when he overheard us discussing it, and at least confirmed to us that I wasn't completely making it up. It took her nearly a month to get the raise and back pay.
I'd hoped that was unique to my store.

It's a dance of deception & sometimes both are guilty.
Forsaken has seen it from the store side.
There is no guarantee of hrs or benefits for TMs. They'll always have an excuse - your avail is crappy, you're not cross-trained (never any hrs to train), *insert favorite excuse here*. They want you to have wide-open avail but they'll never give you the hrs you need.
On the flip-side, I've seen new hires who put down open avail but within days of hire they 'suddenly' have a change of circumstances - they're signed up for classes, they don't have a sitter, no transportation, *insert favorite excuse here*.
Lesson learned is never to expect much from Target & you'll seldom be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back