Archived Feeling kind of lied to

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenMermaid

Cashier Princess
I guess one could argue that the answers given to the questions I asked at my interview were about employment at the store in general and not my specific job, but I feel as though I may have been horribly misled.

After I finished answering all of my interview questions to the point where I thought they would say I was overqualified (but they didn't), I was given the opportunity to ask questions. I asked if there was a full-time position available and was told "Yes, we have full-time jobs." I guess I was being overly presumptuous to assume that meant the position they were offering me was full-time because they did not specify otherwise. Then, I asked if there were benefits. Of course, what I meant was "Will I have benefits?" My interviewer started to explain a bit, but changed her mind and just gave me a straight-up "yes." Her answer was something along the lines of "Well, if you've been here for 90 days, and . . . eh, yeah. Yeah, we've got them." After giving these responses about full-time positions and benefits, I was immediately offered a cashier job by the same person on the same day, leading me to believe as a result of the interview that this was a full-time job with benefits (possibly after 90 days).

Today was my second day of training, or my third if you count orientation. Even though my training schedule was very light, I figured I'd be getting more hours later because I was told at orientation that our hours for training could be very different from our hours once we "officially" start doing our job. After seeing that my posted schedule for my third week, after I finish training, and that I only had 20-something hours or so, I started asking random people if I was full-time since I'm still not entirely sure who my direct lead is, and none of the people who interviewed or trained me were there. I was basically told that there are no full-time cashier positions, all cashiers are part-time, and that only full-time employees can get benefits. I said that is not what I was told at my interview, and it was suggested that I speak to someone in HR. I also had to fight like crazy to set up my eHR account because even though I was told about it at orientation, no one offered to help me set it up, and every time I asked about it, they said the system was down. They also said I could log on from home, which I later learned was not true.

I really don't know what to think anymore. I feel like I was either lied to or very strongly misled.

Ehr from home, you can not access from home. There was some half truths told you. Your best bet is too learn every thing & other work centers to get more hours. Spot had recently cut benefits to part timers:(.

I mean, I guess I should be flattered that they found me so much of a commodity that they needed to mask the truth in order to have me as a team member, but us princesses have to pay rent so we can keep living in our castles, you know?

Here is what you need to know, in retail, unless you are a supervisor, full-time could be very rare. Very very rare. As are benefits. And you don't get " benefits" until after a year at a Target anyway. (Right?)

At best buy, they never told anyone hired part-time meant you were guaranteed 5 hours a week. 5 hours. It stunk.

Do they not have you say what your minimum hours a week needed are any more during the interview/application?

20 hours right now is actually good, but there is no guarantee it will stay that high either.

This is going to be kinda long, but I just wanted to share my story in full because I can completely feel where you're at ForsakenMermaid. I've shared bits and pieces due to not wanting to be outed if any of my team members are on here. But now that I'm definitely leaving, I don't care anymore.

I went through the same thing, and now, 8 months later I'm leaving. I was ridiculously misled on my interview and when I was offered the job...and further down the line. I'm a single parent which limits my availability to mother's hours. They knew this on hiring me. They knew I was looking for a permanent income. The also knew that I needed a MINIMUM of 30 hours because I have subsidized childcare assistance - that for full time childcare (anything more than 5 hours) requires a 30 hour week. Less than 30 hours they cut the subsidy to part time, only allowing me 5 hours a day. Which in turn only allows me 4 hours of work. So, my ETL KNEW this. Told me it would be fine. The only possible issue was that I was hired as seasonal in November. So I busted my butt, let everyone know from day one I was interested in crosstraining everywhere and anywhere. Come end of December, I had a couple of stressful weeks while I waited to get that letter saying my last day was whenever. Lo and behold they kept me! I was thrilled. Because I THOUGHT that since knowing my situation, that they would have been honest with me about being able to accommodate my scheduling needs. January sucked like it always does in retail, but I held on. Still only trained on register. I started asking again about crosstraining. FINALLY someone listened to me and had me train at guest services. Hours got worse. I ended up in tears in the ETL's office because I was worried how I was going to pay the bills (was impossible on what they were giving me for hours) and I was beginning to get behind. He gave me the availability speech. To which I replied "You KNEW what my availability was when you hired me, you KNEW what I needed for hours as well. Finally, I agreed to open my availability a little bit. I was originally 8-3. I opened it to 430 because I was told a full open shift was 8-430.

Things got better. I actually started getting 35+ hours a week for a month or two. I began to relax. It was a little stressful on my home life because with the commute to preschool/work/preschool/home, I was waking my 4 year old up at 530am, not getting home until 530pm, then a mad rush for dinner, bath and bed. I was a stay at home mom before I started, so it was a big adjustment for both of us to have so little time together. But I was doing it for her and to give her a good life ya know... anyway.....

I got comfortable, thought they finally understood my needs. I was a great TM. I rocked the service desk. As a matter of fact I can count on one hand how many of my guests have left that service desk unhappy. And none of them were unhappy with something I did or could control.

Then my hours dropped again. A steady drop every week. I went from 35+ down to 20 or less within 3 schedules. And this was BEFORE MyTime rolled out. And for the second time, I was in tears in the ETL's office. And he gave me the same speech yet again about availability. And I gave him the same response again. Only this time I told him I felt mislead. He wasn't happy about that. Then they told me that the company doesn't guarantee hours, that they only have to guarantee 5 hours a week. And then spent the rest of the time looking at me awkwardly while I cried. The next schedule posted I had TWELVE hours (punishment for speaking my mind?). Again, before mytime rolled. So I put the job search into overdrive, decided to go back to my former job that I left when I had my daughter. I figured from what I've heard on here, when mytime rolled out, my hours would get even worse. I've been told that it fills the schedule as best as it can with the open availability people, then drops the rest of us in to fill any gaps. Interestingly enough, mytime boosted my hours up a little. Or someone messed with it because they knew I was about to snap. Either way, this week I have 20 hours and next week I have 30. But, I'm done playing the game, and I'm putting in my two weeks tomorrow morning. My other job fits perfectly with my availability, I set my own schedule. No holidays, no weekends. No REDCARDS! lol.

So in all honesty, I'd tell you to get out while you can. It sucks because with the exception of harassing the guest for redcards that they don't want, I liked my job. More than I thought I would. And I like and will miss most of the team at my store. But stability definitely is NOT Target's strong suit.

I feel badly for you and your story is not a very uncommon one in retail. It's the nature of the beast, at least in most cases. If you really must have a full time job, you need to work for an entity other than Spot and probably not in retail. I also suggest that in the future you ask very specific questions during the interview process.

It sucks, plain and simple.

I've never gotten scheduled on Tuesday since mytime rolled out, and I'm available until 5pm.

Never.

I carefully crafted my availability around that knowledge, and opened up the other days, and took Friday off in addition to my Thursday. It's mostly working for me how I expected.... For now.

I'm able to get by in 15 hours a week for now though.

To the OP, really, I'd leave now and not get sucked into empty promises.

Do they not have you say what your minimum hours a week needed are any more during the interview/application?

I put 40 on the application, and they said nothing about that being an issue. I'm pretty sure I also said during the interview that I needed a full-time job, or at least I thought it was implied when I asked if full-time positions were available and they told me "yes."

Regarding the rest of the thread, I was on unemployment until the beginning of this year, and I saved up a good chunk of change, allowing me to get by for a while. However, I always knew that wouldn't last forever, and after about a year of applying for something like 50 jobs a day, Target was the only position offered to me that wasn't temporary. Therefore, I have no choice but to stick around at least until something better comes up. Otherwise, my savings will slowly get depleted until I have to move back in with my parents.

Last edited:
I would say if you need a steady 40 hour week, Target isn't the right place. Just stick with it, constantly check the swap shift board. Look into cross training... although I think I read on here someplace that they won't cross train you until after your 90 days. You might get lucky. But there's no telling how long it would last. The one thing that's gotten drilled into my head during all this crap is "Target can't guarantee TM hours" When you're not working, scour snag a job, monster jobs etc. I'm sorry they mislead you. I completely understand how it feels.

You really came to Target at a bad time. We've been heading in the wrong direction as a company. Most notably in how we treat/pay our employees. Hopefully with the recent departure of Greg, things will turn back towards what they once were.

I think I got you all beat. I was hired in the beginning of Oct. Without getting into too much detail, I asked 3 different people if it was a full time position because I wasn't interested in seasonal-all 3 said it was. They asked why I was interested in Target and I said "the benefits." In Jan. I was told they wanted to keep me on. I was like what are you talking about? They said "there was some confusion" and that I was seasonal. I should have left right then and there. I went home and checked my paperwork and sure enough couldn't find anything that said I was full time. Lesson learned-get it in writing.

And sure they don't guarantee over 30 hours but there are plenty of TMs that get them consistently. Either they are long tenured TMs or under 26 and already on their parent's insurance.

I would say if you need a steady 40 hour week, Target isn't the right place. Just stick with it, constantly check the swap shift board. Look into cross training... although I think I read on here someplace that they won't cross train you until after your 90 days. You might get lucky. But there's no telling how long it would last. The one thing that's gotten drilled into my head during all this crap is "Target can't guarantee TM hours" When you're not working, scour snag a job, monster jobs etc. I'm sorry they mislead you. I completely understand how it feels.

Bold mine--I think that depends on the store (I could be wrong!). Mine does it occasionally--but usually only to fill vital needs so it's not common. Just basically keep your head up and meet people from other parts of the store (including salesfloor leads)--they can help cross train you if it's something you're interested in. You don't have to suck up to anyone but they'll need to know you're interested (if you are).

And I'm sorry, ForsakenMermaid (love the name, by the way!). Target's corporate culture reeks right now. Keep up the job hunt--hopefully something good will drop into your lap soon. Good luck and I hope in the meantime the shifts board holds lots of hours for you.

Everyone's basically hitting the nail on the head with this one :p

-You aren't guaranteed any amount of hours as a TM
-Benefits are pretty much shot unless you're a team leader
-any limits on availability screws you over for the most part, from what i've seen

The limits on availability I sort of understand cutting people's hours. If someone can only work 8am to 4:30pm, why should I be relegated to all the crappy closing shifts simply because I have open availability?

But yes, they were definitely not clear with you...no one is hired full-time unless they are a TL or above. I think Spot could save themselves a lot of headaches and having to hire and train people all the time if they were honest with people during the interview how many hours to expect...it's only fair, really. An interview is a two way street: both parties are trying to figure out if they will be a good fit for each other.

I weaseled my way into full-time at the end of last year, and so far have managed to keep getting scheduled full-time hours with an understanding that I need them for the insurance, if not the pay. Unfortunately that means that I only get 32 hours a week scheduled...everything above that comes from working either 12 to 14 hours some days or 6 days some weeks or whatever else it takes to get closer to 40.

I weaseled my way into full-time at the end of last year, and so far have managed to keep getting scheduled full-time hours with an understanding that I need them for the insurance, if not the pay. Unfortunately that means that I only get 32 hours a week scheduled...everything above that comes from working either 12 to 14 hours some days or 6 days some weeks or whatever else it takes to get closer to 40.

IIRC you're GSA or GSTL, don't you sort of always get the 30+ hours a week? Maybe it's because my store has a SrGSTL and 2 GSAs when we're short 2 GSAs and 1 GSTL, but I thought GSAs almost always got the 30+ hours a week.

IIRC you're GSA or GSTL, don't you sort of always get the 30+ hours a week? Maybe it's because my store has a SrGSTL and 2 GSAs when we're short 2 GSAs and 1 GSTL, but I thought GSAs almost always got the 30+ hours a week.

My store has a ridiculous number of GSAs, and they're lucky to get one GSTL/GSA shift each week (the rest are cashing or service desk), let alone 32 hours.

Yeah, I think the GSA thing gets me more steady hours, but no one really said that officially to me. On a "normal" week I only cover GSA shifts twice a week, which leaves me competing for hours with the rest of the TMs. For a while I was getting under 30 as a GSA and had to beg, borrow and steal to get them...that was more last fall...but ever since I became full-time, they have honored that.

I have always gotten 5 days a week since I started, and always had enough hours...never under 25, even as a cashier.

Maybe it's because the shortage of GSAs (2 compared to the normal 4 we usually have) that they have hours.

Our store tries to stick to consistent GSA hours, just because it's a real struggle to constantly have GSA turnover. We're 2 over what we should have, but we still do rotating schedules with TL's and LOD's, and have set GSA and non-GSA shifts (typically service desk, sometimes other area's of the store.) I average 38-40 hours because I also do planogram, but for the most part everyone stays around 32.

Edit: at one point, i thought I heard/read somewhere that there was some sort of best practice recommending that GSA's work a minimum of 25 hours a week up front. that might just be what our etl-ge wants, though.

You really came to Target at a bad time. We've been heading in the wrong direction as a company. Most notably in how we treat/pay our employees. Hopefully with the recent departure of Greg, things will turn back towards what they once were.

Considering that there are no jobs available anywhere for anyone where I live and it's been that way for a long time, I should have suspected something like that when they said they would hire me.

Since I promoted to GSA I've gotten 32+ every week, except the couple of weeks where I took a 5-day weekend, and I still got ~31 by picking up salesfloor hours from the SrTL SF, so I'm on track for insurance next year. GSA is one of the very few TM positions at my store that comes with 30+ regularly, the others being plano, HR (our lone HRTM), our lone brand TM in softlines, electronics, PA, backroom, receiving/RL, and I think that's it. Basically things with 1-2 people with set schedules or 3-5 people who work in areas the require full or nearly full coverage (either on a process team or GSA/electronics/PA). I don't think any of our cashiers gets more than 25 unless they pick up shifts, and some get as few as 4-9 hours a week. Our cashiers are 100% retirees or 16 year olds though (barring the occasionals used for coverage whose main role is elsewhere).

The limits on availability I sort of understand cutting people's hours. If someone can only work 8am to 4:30pm, why should I be relegated to all the crappy closing shifts simply because I have open availability?

I could understand it more if I wasn't hired on with that availability and the fact that I needed a certain amount of hours. It would be different if I was hired with open availability and then said.. oh btw, I need to switch to days only. It was very sneaky on their part to tell me that I'd be fine knowing my limits and what I needed to work, then suddenly cut my hours by half if not more, and blame those very same limits.

I can only speak to what goes on at my store. Lies are what our culture is built on. Many of us were lied to when we were hired. Brand TMs are promised at least 32 hours & one weekend a month off. With one or two exceptions it doesn't happen. They tell lies about stupid stuff that makes me wonder if they just like messing with people. Then there is the we-promise-you-are-getting-the-next-team-lead-position. Now please work yourself and everyone else to death until you figure out we lied. I'm sorry to say I've developed a harsh attitude about our leadership. One don't get to be a TL or ETL with their integrity intact.
Harsh? Think about the fact that they all act and talk like every kooky thing corporate comes up with us so wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back