Specialty Fellow tm not backstocking

Hi everyone!

Lately I’ve been noticing one of my fellow team members has been really slacking off. I totally get it because nobody really wants to be at work on a nice summer day, but it’s getting to the point where it’s making the rest of our jobs more difficult. Mainly, we think she isn’t backstocking items and instead just placing them on shelves. Whenever we have a spike in random items that have no location but are in the back room, it’s always the day after she’s worked closing usually alone. I don’t wanna be a prick and I’m not her boss but this is constantly starting fires for us to put out with fulfillment making orders. Additionally, most of the time we work together I end up doing all the push while she wanders around talking to everyone in the back room. I mainly wanted to vent about it I understand there’s not a lot I can really do 😂

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Lately I’ve been noticing one of my fellow team members has been really slacking off. I totally get it because nobody really wants to be at work on a nice summer day, but it’s getting to the point where it’s making the rest of our jobs more difficult. Mainly, we think she isn’t backstocking items and instead just placing them on shelves. Whenever we have a spike in random items that have no location but are in the back room, it’s always the day after she’s worked closing usually alone. I don’t wanna be a prick and I’m not her boss but this is constantly starting fires for us to put out with fulfillment making orders. Additionally, most of the time we work together I end up doing all the push while she wanders around talking to everyone in the back room. I mainly wanted to vent about it I understand there’s not a lot I can really do 😂
our call offs are the same way.

You can go to your TL or ETL. There are cameras in the back valleys so if it's becoming a major problem they'll figure it out.

Or you can passive aggressively warn/ask if she has noticed any issues while backstocking because you think the devices are acting up since so much is always unlocated. You can always say your ETL approached you about the Fulfillment issues and that they're going to be looking into it.

I think you can say something about it without calling out that one TM directly. Surely, your fulfillment TL is aware that something glitchy is going on.
Back before the DBO model was put in place and we had one TM, not a bad worker at all, who did all the revisions for the whole store, I started noticing a lot of errors in the area where I typically pushed truck. Pointed it out to my TL, prefacing it with "I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but someone needs to know what's going on." Maybe they gave that TM some help or offered some ideas for organizing her work load, I don't know, but things improved.
You can say what you've noticed something is off without pointing fingers at that one TM. "Seems like we're finding a lot of unlocated items in the back room, but it doesn't happen all the time. It's effecting our INF rate for fulfillment orders and causing problems for others who can't properly pull their one-for-one batches." Give a short list of recent items and dates, let leadership draw their own conclusion.
As for as her talking instead of working, not sure what to do about that. If you figure it out, let me know. There are certain TMs at my store I'd like to poke with sharp stick sometimes. A little chatting here and there is one thing, but long conversations while NOT working are another.

Call them out, respectfully. I did that when I first started at my store as inbound tm, 3 months ago, I'm now supposed to be promoted to inbound TL, hopefully soon when our SD gets back. I called out everyone, even higher ups, I hated fixing the flex and constantly getting so much shit on our trucks that apparently isn't selling and just flexed all over the place. I got my whole inbound team to quit flexing, our backstock has very little room for anything anymore and when I push product that just came in I can actually push it! It's getting better but, it's very frustrating and takes a lot of effort to fix. Just go around to everyone and say hey, just in case, let's make sure we don't do this because it makes the teams jobs harder.

... Just go around to everyone and say hey, just in case, let's make sure we don't do this because it makes the teams jobs harder.

RebelAtHeart, I'm going to take your success story at face value. It's really great that you could get your inbound team turned around in only three months.

But understand that that's just not going to happen at a lot of stores.

Call them out, respectfully. I did that when I first started at my store as inbound tm, 3 months ago, I'm now supposed to be promoted to inbound TL, hopefully soon when our SD gets back. I called out everyone, even higher ups, I hated fixing the flex and constantly getting so much shit on our trucks that apparently isn't selling and just flexed all over the place. I got my whole inbound team to quit flexing, our backstock has very little room for anything anymore and when I push product that just came in I can actually push it! It's getting better but, it's very frustrating and takes a lot of effort to fix. Just go around to everyone and say hey, just in case, let's make sure we don't do this because it makes the teams jobs harder.
Also flexing isnt a bad thing if done properly.

Also flexing isnt a bad thing if done properly.
Key word there is "if" when I can't stock my "out of stock" product because you flexed like a juiced up beach boy then it's a problem and you were just avoiding backstocking. Flexing is supposed to be "approved". Target has been sued for price compliancy because of careless flexing and resets not being done.

Key word there is "if" when I can't stock my "out of stock" product because you flexed like a juiced up beach boy then it's a problem and you were just avoiding backstocking. Flexing is supposed to be "approved". Target has been sued for price compliancy because of careless flexing and resets not being done.
It was sued because they refuse to acknowledge the problems they have created for us without allowing for all this unproductive freight and insane miscellaneous tasks like the price change increases and not allocating more payroll. It is clearly not a store problem when it was occurring all over the country. It seems like time after time they keep costing themselves money by trying to cut payroll to unobtainable expectations.

It was sued because they refuse to acknowledge the problems they have created for us without allowing for all this unproductive freight and insane miscellaneous tasks like the price change increases and not allocating more payroll. It is clearly not a store problem when it was occurring all over the country. It seems like time after time they keep costing themselves money by trying to cut payroll to unobtainable expectations.
Not sure we are talking about the same lawsuit but, I can believe they were sued in another case for this. Good ol capitalism 🤢🤮

Not sure we are talking about the same lawsuit but, I can believe they were sued in another case for this. Good ol capitalism 🤢🤮
Pretty sure we are. In saying the problem occurred because they are trying to cut Costs. The prices being wrong are the reason for the lawsuit but that's a symptom of poor management and shitty payroll

Back