Archived Few questions about cashier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I just started my first day of being a cashier last night and I did pretty decent I guess but there's still some things I keep forgetting/am unsure of, would really appreciate if anyone could help me with these things.

1. When you do vegetables/fruits, do you weigh all of them? Like say someone has a plastic bag with 4 peppers and 2 tomatoes, would you put the code in for them then weigh both of them? Is there any vegetable/fruit items you don't weigh after?

2. How does taking a check from someone work? I did it once yesterday but my trainer helped me with it, I had to take the guys ID and put his ID number in the computer but I forgot what else to do with a check...

3. If someone does happen to want a redcard what's the process of that? Before hitting total scan the pamphlet and all that?

4. They said if clothes don't have a tag with a barcode to look at another code that I think they said started with target then a number after, is that right? Where would I find that? I unfortunately forgot about the no tag thing too.

Sorry for all the questions but people are definitely not kidding when they say that a trainer reads/demonstrates the manual for 40 minutes then you're put on a register.. I have the hang of it for the most part but am still a bit unprepared for certain things.

1. Packaged produce for the most part won't need a weight. Most of the loose produce that winds up in the plastic bags will need to be weighed after entering the PLU for that item.

2. Make sure the check is not a temporary check, that it's written for the correct amount (and that the numeric amount matches the spelled out amount), that the signature matches the name, and that the ID matches the person handing it to you. Enter the amount on the POS and select check (or just hit K2 for check and enter the amount or hit K1 if they are paying the whole amount with the check) and put the check facedown in the MICR reader/printer, sliding it in until it catches. At this point the MICR reader will start to, for lack of a better word, suck the check in. Scan the guest's ID if prompted. If the check is approved, the drawer will open and a receipt will print. Place the check in the leftmost slot in the till. That slot is for checks (anything larger than $20 goes under the till...not in the check spot...big pet peeve of mine). If the check is not approved, you hand the guest back their check and the Certegy slip that prints, and hope to God that the guest has another way to pay and isn't going to stand in line for the next 20 minutes trying to find out why their check wasn't approved since they've never had problems before.

3. Hit total first to see if the register will prompt for a REDcard. If it prompts, then follow the prompts. If it does not prompt, hit "back" and then scan the pamphlet.

4. The tag is usually in the side stitching of a shirt, underneath the size tag for pants, and imprinted on the inside of shoes.

Thank you both very much for your help, appreciate it. :) Also when putting in the different code for clothes if there is no barcode what do you press to enter that?

Last edited:
1. When you do vegetables/fruits, do you weigh all of them? Like say someone has a plastic bag with 4 peppers and 2 tomatoes, would you put the code in for them then weigh both of them? Is there any vegetable/fruit items you don't weigh after?

That depends. If you're in a Super Target, you will have to weigh individual non-packaged units like in a grocery store. If you're in a P-Fresh store, you don't weigh anything; you type in the PLU code and enter the quantity. Those mixed bags are a pet peeve of many a grocery store cashier, but us P-Fresh folks are lucky. :D

2. How does taking a check from someone work? I did it once yesterday but my trainer helped me with it, I had to take the guys ID and put his ID number in the computer but I forgot what else to do with a check...

sigma7 pretty much nailed it. You hit K2 for Check and enter the amount, then you insert the check in the check reader. The register may ask for ID; if it does, scan the matrix barcode (the one that looks like a bunch of dots smushed together, not the one with a bunch of lines) or swipe if it has a magnetic strip.

3. If someone does happen to want a redcard what's the process of that? Before hitting total scan the pamphlet and all that?

As you may already know, you should ask every guest regardless of whether or not the register prompts you to. If the guest says yes, ask them if they want today's purchase to go on the Red Card pending approval. If yes, scan the pamphlet before hitting total; if they say no or aren't sure, suspend the order and do the application separately. Once the application is started, just follow the prompts on the screen and card reader.

4. They said if clothes don't have a tag with a barcode to look at another code that I think they said started with target then a number after, is that right? Where would I find that? I unfortunately forgot about the no tag thing too.

As sigma7 said, the tag with the DPCI will be on the inside of the article of clothing. Only Target brands (Merona, Mossimo, Xhilaration, C9, Circo, Cherokee, etc.) will have a sewn-in tag with the DPCI; licensed items such as graphic tees and Fan Central will not.

Here is a link to our cashier guide: http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/cashier.72/

Last edited:
Hi I just started my first day of being a cashier last night and I did pretty decent I guess but there's still some things I keep forgetting/am unsure of, would really appreciate if anyone could help me with these things.

Sorry for all the questions but people are definitely not kidding when they say that a trainer reads/demonstrates the manual for 40 minutes then you're put on a register.. I have the hang of it for the most part but am still a bit unprepared for certain things.
1. All depends on your store setup. There are some PFresh Targets near me that sell loose produce by quanity even though at other stores its by weight.

If you have scales, the POS will prompt you are quantity or weigh when you put the PLU in. And yes you do have to separate them, just inform the guest you have to weigh them separate. Most guests will bag them separately anyway.

2. For checks, make sure everything is written out and signed. Target only accepts checks of exact total only. You slide the check into the MICR. If its approved you but the check in the drawer. If its denied you give it back to the guest, and tell them it was denied and to call the number of the check for info.

3. The red cart application is easy. You scan the pamplet and follow the prompts

4. You will just need to look on all the attached tags on the item of clothing. Sometimes behind the main tag or on a small tag on the inside.

On shirts, the tag is always on the right side of the shirt (when it's facing you). I think coats/jackets are the same. On pants, it's usually behind the normal tag. On shoes, it's sort of a crapshoot; I've seen it printed on the tongue on sneakers, inside the heel, somewhere on a strap of they're sandals, etc. Gloves and scarves and whatnot will have the tag somewhere as well. Tagless panties and such usually have the DPCI printed where the size etc is printed. Tights usually don't have it, which is a pain in the butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back