Archived finding DPCI for returned online items?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkh

i run into this problem in softlines a lot: someone returns something from online, specifically a brand not sold in stores, and guest service takes it back and puts it in reshop, but lo and behold, the item doesn't have a tag or a DPCI anywhere on/inside of it. so, i try looking up the brand name on target.com, find the item, and there is no DPCI under the item details ..... because it is sold online only.

normally in that situation, i would just find a similar item that we sell that matches the price on our website and make a ticket with that... but does anyone know of a way to accurately print an "as is" ticket for it using some other number or something?

i asked a GS TM once and she said she normally just does what i mentioned above.

i run into this problem in softlines a lot: someone returns something from online, specifically a brand not sold in stores, and guest service takes it back and puts it in reshop, but lo and behold, the item doesn't have a tag or a DPCI anywhere on/inside of it. so, i try looking up the brand name on target.com, find the item, and there is no DPCI under the item details ..... because it is sold online only.

normally in that situation, i would just find a similar item that we sell that matches the price on our website and make a ticket with that... but does anyone know of a way to accurately print an "as is" ticket for it using some other number or something?

i asked a GS TM once and she said she normally just does what i mentioned above.
Every item we sell , even online only has a dpci. With softlines always select a size, and it will show you that paricular item's dpci. Hope this helps.

We get a picture of the item & description of the item, tape it to the box. We do as it or online item markdown. Online furniture is the worse.

We get a picture of the item & description of the item, tape it to the box. We do as it or online item markdown. Online furniture is the worse.
Oh the pain I know. It NEVER sells at my store, tbh it all now goes straight to defects, it's not like we have space for it anyway.

Oh the pain I know. It NEVER sells at my store, tbh it all now goes straight to defects, it's not like we have space for it anyway.

Build it! We build it and the stuff never sticks around more than a day or two..

We also have gotten GS to at least scribble the DCPI in a sharpie on the box if they don't remember anything else. Gives us something to work from.

Your guest service should make sure a tag is on your item. When the item is returned a label prints out. Plus they have to have the dpci to make the return.
Hah! Our guest service is notorious for accepting items without a tag. Last year some lady returned a few pieces of clothing that GS accepted, turned out they were Walmart brand clothing :confused:

Somewhere on the product it should have a sticker or tag. If not than guest service should not have taken it. We can't sell it in the store anymore so the online barcode will be scanned/keyed and a salvage sticker will be printed out.

WHAT?! How did they know how much the return was if they didn't punch in numbers or something?

At our store, we've lately had guests bringing in receipts for other products to "return" the products on the receipt, but then they actually return clothes we don't even sell. We have a newer GSA who has allowed these returns several times.

At our store, we've lately had guests bringing in receipts for other products to "return" the products on the receipt, but then they actually return clothes we don't even sell. We have a newer GSA who has allowed these returns several times.

This seems to be new newest scam! People bring in clothing items with target tags attached and a receipt and try to return it. I am double checking tags and numbers now. Most of our clothing items have the dcpi number inside on a little tag. I had people try to return walmart clothing as well. Online return items that are not sold in store will prompt the printer to print out an as is label. GS is supposed to attach that sticker and cross out, remove any other bar code on the item.

This seems to be new newest scam! People bring in clothing items with target tags attached and a receipt and try to return it. I am double checking tags and numbers now. Most of our clothing items have the dcpi number inside on a little tag. I had people try to return walmart clothing as well. Online return items that are not sold in store will prompt the printer to print out an as is label. GS is supposed to attach that sticker and cross out, remove any other bar code on the item.
Unfortunately, it's an old scam. Been going on for a long time. We had one who would glue brand tags over the wrong ones in the clothes--so there would be an MB tag glued onto an Apt9 tag in the neck of a shirt. This was about 15 yrs ago.

Our return fraud people return clothes from last year with tags for current items. Its genius really, considering theyve been getting away with it for yearss.

But yea, for the online stuff, if gs doesn't put the orange as is sticker on it (it prints automatically when they take an online return),you gotta select size and color on the site or target app for the dpci to come up. Ive had a handful of items in years that had no dpci, but it hasn't happened in a long time so I assume everything on the site should have a dpci.

Hah! Our guest service is notorious for accepting items without a tag. Last year some lady returned a few pieces of clothing that GS accepted, turned out they were Walmart brand clothing :confused:
our GS is notorious for this too. that's why i said i run into this problem a lot. AND, at least TWICE a week we get stuff returned from other stores. most common are walmart and kohls. it's ridiculous.

Our return fraud people return clothes from last year with tags for current items. Its genius really, considering theyve been getting away with it for yearss.

But yea, for the online stuff, if gs doesn't put the orange as is sticker on it (it prints automatically when they take an online return),you gotta select size and color on the site or target app for the dpci to come up. Ive had a handful of items in years that had no dpci, but it hasn't happened in a long time so I assume everything on the site should have a dpci.
wow! had no idea about this- when i go in today i'll try to do this. i wish i knew this earlier!

our GS is notorious for this too. that's why i said i run into this problem a lot. AND, at least TWICE a week we get stuff returned from other stores. most common are walmart and kohls. it's ridiculous.

I love the blatant ones. My personal favorite was the movie with the Wal-Mart sticker in the front. Umm how did they miss that? But it was in the middle of "Vibe" time but still.

Huh... online furniture returns if opened or built, goes defective. I just assumed Target didn't want liability should the furniture fail after being built by a TM or some random guest that decided they didn't like it.

As for clothes, it's a pain in the neck when it involves online only clothing. I usually whip out my cell phone and search for it on the website to find the DPCI. That way we get the red "online return" label and we can sell it for dirt cheap.

The tag switch and return scam... that's something I usually see in 4th quarter. The veteran TMs always try to educate the newer TMs on the list of scams that the more unscrupulous guests try to pull every year. Unfortunately, the list is pretty damn long.

I love the blatant ones. My personal favorite was the movie with the Wal-Mart sticker in the front. Umm how did they miss that? But it was in the middle of "Vibe" time but still.

Sometimes we get movies and music in with stickers from other stores, it isn't always items being returned that way. Other stores send that stuff back to their distributors, and then we buy it from them.

Sometimes we get movies and music in with stickers from other stores, it isn't always items being returned that way. Other stores send that stuff back to their distributors, and then we buy it from them.

Then it should be pulled and sent back. It should never be sold. And I have seen that only in toys not with movies or CDs.

In case this wasn't said earlier, on most of our major brands there should be a little tag on the inside seam that has the DPCI. It should be the first number listed. You can use this to print out the tag.

I try to tag online items while I'm still doing the return. If I wait until after, the stickers get lost, and it's a pain in the ass if the item doesn't have numbers on it, like on a few select online only brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back