Finding Money

What should a TM do if they find money on the floor or shelf? It was found before the store opened lying on a shelf behind some product. The TM considered turning it in, but what happens then? Seems odd to find it in that place because there is only a slim chance someone dropped it there. It seems more likely that it was placed to have someone find it. Does AP do things like this to trip people up?

I consider this much different than finding money while the store is open. Or finding a wallet or purse.

Ap can't do those type of things to trip you up. But your best bet is to turn it in. If it's before lights, cal your LOD or a Team Leader. All lost money needs to be logged at Guest Service and then placed into a register. Unfortunately, you won't be able to claim the money, even after the allotted wait period. Always, do the right thing..... Go that extra Inch!

Always turn it in.
They might not have left it there but one of your fellow TM's might have and will need it.
My only gripe is if nobody claims it, the store takes it (like they need it.)

If nothing else, someone could've stashed it there illicitly & you could be seen on camera if you pocketed it.
Turn it in so you remove yourself from suspicion.

If nothing else, someone could've stashed it there illicitly & you could be seen on camera if you pocketed it.
Turn it in so you remove yourself from suspicion.

At my store, we found money once a week in the same place at the same time each day. Needless to say, major drug bust was tracked and they had been using Target as a drop point for some of the cash...... It's a crazy world...

turn it in,it is the best thing to do and you never have to look over your shoulder,I have found small amounts on the floor over the years and if there is a kid around with a parent I will give it to the kid,never had a bad outcome with that yet,but money in an odd place like yours takes too much thinking about.I did find a handbag in a cart during a roundup and I had AP come out to the parking lot and take possession of it.

Always in turn in the money. spot has a lost money fund for that. There is a court case with Wally World tm firing over 5 cents.

Ap can't do those type of things to trip you up. But your best bet is to turn it in. If it's before lights, cal your LOD or a Team Leader. All lost money needs to be logged at Guest Service and then placed into a register. Unfortunately, you won't be able to claim the money, even after the allotted wait period. Always, do the right thing..... Go that extra Inch!

Nope, this is more than an inch!

As cliche is this sounds: "honesty is the best policy."

I found a 20 dollar bill my first year working @ target. It was on the floor right in front of the electronics boat. I turned it into AP right away.

I found a $10 bill not too far from my register once. I wasn't sure who to give it to, so I gave it to my GSA who accused me of not keeping a better eye on the money in my drawer (it would have had to have had wings to come out of my drawer and be where it was).

We won't talk about the moron guest who couldn't find her purse after leaving my lane, came back several times and eventually accused me of stealing it. Sheesh.

We won't talk about the moron guest who couldn't find her purse after leaving my lane, came back several times and eventually accused me of stealing it. Sheesh.

I've had two guests who accused me of stealing their wallets when they couldn't find it when they were ready to pay......one ended up having left it out in her vehicle, and the other, after our ETL-AP went to the video finally noticed that she had knocked it off the counter and into the holes behind the bags....10 minutes of cleaning out under the register later, it was found about as far out of sight as possible.....neither apologized.....

Although honestly, the funniest lost wallet story belongs to a guy who had let his 2 year old play with it while they were shopping.....and didn't notice when the kid threw it out of the cart back in Domestics somewhere.....fortunately for him, he had his cell phone attached to his wallet, so they walked around calling it until after about 45 minutes someone finally heard it.....

I found a five dollar bill one year, turned it in, and 5 months later they gave it to me. Finders Keepers if it's not being asked for after 5 months (that's what I was told).

All unclaimed money goes into a guest service register, and should be noted in an email to the auditor as to identify the overage.

I once found a twenty while I was walking through Electronics.

It's kind of funny, as I feel like someone wadded it up on purpose because they didn't like it or something. But I turned it into Guest Service.

That USED to be the practice.
We have a log book of lost & found, including valuables (& money). If a TM turned it in (cash, giftcard), it was dated & noted in the book. After so many months unclaimed, they were allowed to have it.
The practice was discontinued about a yr or so ago. We still log items in but TMs are no longer allowed to claim them.
If a guest turns in cash, giftcard, etc & leaves their name/contact info, they're allowed to claim the items after so many months. Of course, that policy may have been rescinded too.

I've never found paper money, only small change.
I was told by AP and the GSA to keep the small change I find on top of the register and when they come to close the register, let them know it was found money.

So as I'm coming in the door I find $40 on the floor right by the carts. I turn it into the CS desk. A few hours later I see our ETL for the front end and I ask if no one claims it can it be donated to a local animal charity I volunteer for. Here's what he tells me: "It gets donated to a charity called Target."

Back