Fired for “Stealing” at Target

The way I look at it is, everything is a trap. Money on the ground? It's a trap don't touch it. Same with gift cards in the parking lot, perfectly fine merch about to be tossed, etc. They would love to fire me over something easy and replace me with someone making less I'm sure. I'm not gonna make it easy. If they want me out, they gotta performance me out, good luck.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you are an "at-will" employee and can be terminated without cause with a few exceptions from state to state.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you are an "at-will" employee and can be terminated without cause with a few exceptions from state to state.

Yeah but Spot will still go through the motions of having a paper trail for firing you.
They don't want to have anything that can come back and bit them in the ass later.
Sure they can fire you 'just cause' but if you can prove there is a pattern to that 'just cause' like age, sex, color, religion, etc. it's going to be a problem and they don't want problems.

Yeah but Spot will still go through the motions of having a paper trail for firing you.
They don't want to have anything that can come back and bit them in the ass later.
Sure they can fire you 'just cause' but if you can prove there is a pattern to that 'just cause' like age, sex, color, religion, etc. it's going to be a problem and they don't want problems.
Exactly.

Imagine if Target didn't do this, people would be fired daily left and right.

"Stinkfoot" 😄
In his (undeserved) defense, I was a little petty after he tried to get me fired.

I would title emails to him "Afternoon Stinkfoot," and make comments when he walked past like "what was that smell?"

The HR conversation basically consisted of "Look we know he tried to shaft you, we get it, but you're setting a poor example so please stop"

Back