Fired for “Stealing” at Target

I recently was fired from Target for “stealing.” I put it in quotations because it was a missed scan on my part and AP was adamant that it was on purpose. Anyways, I paid for the items after the fact. The total was $25 and some change. What can I expect for a paid back $25 theft?

You’re fired for the one missed scan? There has to be more reasoning behind it. Either AP has you doing more than a single missed scan or someone in your store doesn’t want you there anymore.

It may seem harsh, but if it looks like stealing they treat it like stealing. You have to be very sure everything is scanned.

You’re fired for the one missed scan? There has to be more reasoning behind it. Either AP has you doing more than a single missed scan or someone in your store doesn’t want you there anymore.
I don’t know, but honestly, the culture at this target is so sad. Everyone talks crap on everyone else and rumors are constantly being thrown around. It was always so uncomfortable being the fly on the wall. So who knows what kinda rumors went on about me.

Here’s a bit of more info. I also recently got injured on the job and non of the leads on duty (one actually watched it happen and knew I was going straight to urgent care after work) reported it. I wonder if they realized they messed up and got rid of me to no longer have that issue to resolve?

Here’s a bit of more info. I also recently got injured on the job and non of the leads on duty (one actually watched it happen and knew I was going straight to urgent care after work) reported it. I wonder if they realized they messed up and got rid of me to no longer have that issue to resolve?
They reported it. I assume that you did ck on workmans Comp for it?

They reported it. I assume that you did ck on workmans Comp for it?
Nope. I followed up with HR about it because I hadn’t heard anything and she had no idea it happened, even though I spoke with an ETL and a GSTL about it. Paid out of my own pocket/personal health insurance for urgent care and a prescription.

May we ask what was the item in question that was "missed" during your scanning at the SCO? I missed something years ago, in the lower compartment of the shopping cart. Got to the car and noticed it. This was before SCO. I went back to the store and paid for it. Nothing expensive, grocery item. I don't steal shit, I can well afford it and everything is on camera. Don't steal shit.

May we ask what was the item in question that was "missed" during your scanning at the SCO? I missed something years ago, in the lower compartment of the shopping cart. Got to the car and noticed it. This was before SCO. I went back to the store and paid for it. Nothing expensive, grocery item. I don't steal shit, I can well afford it and everything is on camera. Don't steal shit.
I don’t want to divulge too many details, but it happened as I was just scanning items in my basket and not bagging them so I didn’t realize right away that I missed any. It was such an awful feeling when I realized though. It’s so embarrassing to know that people now think I’m like that. They claim it’s confidential between AP and HR, but with how quick people talk at this store, I’ll never be able to show my face again.

It’s always better to cross check with your receipt if you feel something wrong . I once had a tm checkout my things at self checkout and when I saw the receipt I felt the total is low. I went to my car and found out he missed scanning a Tylenol. I went in and told him directly ( he didn’t care a bit about it) and he scanned it and I paid for it . I don’t know if that was the right procedure but at the end no one had a problem.

I don’t want to divulge too many details, but it happened as I was just scanning items in my basket and not bagging them so I didn’t realize right away that I missed any. It was such an awful feeling when I realized though. It’s so embarrassing to know that people now think I’m like that. They claim it’s confidential between AP and HR, but with how quick people talk at this store, I’ll never be able to show my face again.
AP doesn't just magically watch all of your transactions, they don't have time for that.

Either they have seen you do this before, or you did something to cause them to suspect you were doing this.

I termed probably a billion people for intentional missed scans or under-ringing during my time at spot, and every single time, this is how it went:

1. Someone (AP, TL, Another TM) sees something a bit off, goes to AP or a TL (who goes to AP) and says something. OR - AP sees you giving indicators of theft, which I won't expound on but there's plenty of research out there on concealment behavior.
2. AP will open an investigation and begin monitoring your transactions remotely.
3. Either they find nothing, and you never know. In which case they will probably follow up randomly. Once the thought is planted it will never go away. People don't like to be wrong.
4. Or they find something and shitcan you.

Out of an unfathomable amount of these situations I can count on one hand (three) the number of times they were wrong.
- Once when we had a new APS who was a little overzealous and tried to can a cashier for under-ringing when someone was using UPC stickers on lego boxes and she didn't catch it.
- Once when the same APS tried to term the entire overnight team for not paying for sodas, and not realizing that they couldn't actually pay for them until after midnight when the registers reset and could be banked (which going back to review, they all did).
- Once when we had a fill in AP ETL who tried to term me for throwing product into the compactor, which I did, but he felt immensely stupid after swimming into the compactor for an hour only to find boxes of product marked destroy. He also smelled bad after so I made fun of him endlessly for months by calling him "stinkfoot" until he reported me to HR. The name stuck. It was worth it.

The way I look at it is, everything is a trap. Money on the ground? It's a trap don't touch it. Same with gift cards in the parking lot, perfectly fine merch about to be tossed, etc. They would love to fire me over something easy and replace me with someone making less I'm sure. I'm not gonna make it easy. If they want me out, they gotta performance me out, good luck.

Back