Assets Protection Fired from target for theft

I was recently fired for theft after two years working at target. It started two months ago, and in the meeting they told me they have been watching me for 6-8 weeks and showed me photo proof. I was so embarrassed and apologetic, as this was super out of character for me. I don’t know the total.. I would guess 300ish over time, just small things like makeup and medicine. but I don’t know for sure.

My question is what happens next? They told me they weren’t going to trespass me and nobody would know what happened except my team lead and etl. I didn’t sign any papers, no police were involved in my presence, and they aren’t trespassing me. So, I’m curious what I should be prepared for. Am I going to be charged with a crime, jail, felony, asked to repay them, etc.?

I was recently fired for theft after two years working at target. It started two months ago, and in the meeting they told me they have been watching me for 6-8 weeks and showed me photo proof. I was so embarrassed and apologetic, as this was super out of character for me. I don’t know the total.. I would guess 300ish over time, just small things like makeup and medicine. but I don’t know for sure.

My question is what happens next? They told me they weren’t going to trespass me and nobody would know what happened except my team lead and etl. I didn’t sign any papers, no police were involved in my presence, and they aren’t trespassing me. So, I’m curious what I should be prepared for. Am I going to be charged with a crime, jail, felony, asked to repay them, etc.?
If no one will know about it then I would say no to charges being filed. They will probably make you pay it back and mark you not to be rehired at any Target.

Do not, I repeat do not go back into that store.
Not to say hi to a friend, not to pick up a gallon of milk, not to sign some papers because they asked you to.
What they know you took was under the amount worth getting the police involved, or at least it was when they decided to get rid of you.
If they run across proof that takes it in felony territory, they will call the cops and make you do the walk of shame.
Stay far away and don't give them the chance.
Also you might want to block their number on your phone so they won't be able to say they talked to you.

As to the stealing, you said you don't know why you did it.
I know that now you are not working it will be very expensive but maybe got some counseling before you start a new job.
If you don't and haven't dealt with whatever reason you have for self sabotage, you will just lose the next job as well

Last edited:
Chances are they were building a case to see if you passed a certain dollar amount to charge you, but the stuff you were stealing was so small that a case couldn't be made for that. I would take @commiecorvus advice and do not return to that store as a guest at least not for a few years. Be fortunate that you seem to have avoided legal trouble and do better at your next job.

If they're saying no one will know, then I agree with others about criminal charges. They may pursue repayment though, which will be tough given that your employment has taken a hit.
I suggest staying away from working in retail or anyplace else where you might be tempted again, whether it's access to goods or cash. And don't set foot in that store again, as others have said.
And I'd take a long, hard look at what happened 2 months ago that made you go down this path. You say that this is out of character for you, but something changed to make it in character for you. Because it wasn't a one-time thing - to accumulate $300 worth of make-up and medicine takes a while, even if it's the expensive items in those categories, and you say AP was tracking you for 6-8 weeks.

OP, if they were going to press charges, you would know. Even though you weren’t trespassed, I still wouldn’t go back into that store. As you will be watched like a hawk by AP

I say go back to the store with a hammer and duffel bag, smash that glass and just CRAM that bag full of as many iPads and other high dollar electronics as you can grab. Also be sure to bellow and scream like a tweaker while you're doing it for extra dramatic effect. If you want to shake things up even more, be sure to visit a tattoo parlor beforehand to get a "KILL PIGS" tat across your chest in Old English font. Risky as this sounds, all you gotta do is declare sovereign citizenship and they'll immediately stand down and drop all charges, works like a charm

I say go back to the store with a hammer and duffel bag, smash that glass and just CRAM that bag full of as many iPads and other high dollar electronics as you can grab. Also be sure to bellow and scream like a tweaker while you're doing it for extra dramatic effect. If you want to shake things up even more, be sure to visit a tattoo parlor beforehand to get a "KILL PIGS" tat across your chest in Old English font. Risky as this sounds, all you gotta do is declare sovereign citizenship and they'll immediately stand down and drop all charges, works like a charm

That's right. Being a genuine Sovereign citizen means that the courts have no jurisdiction over you and they will not even start a hearing, much less convict.

Just make sure that you get the proper subdermal chip in your neck that their chip readers will recognize as a Sovereign citizen.

Back