Archived First day of training earlier! Some problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just started cashiering earlier and it was interesting lol. My coworkers and my trainer were very understanding and patient even though I kept turning on the blinker every 10 minutes. Anyway!!! I have a couple of problems that have been bothering me ever since I clocked out..

1. I wasn't able to sell any red cards :( I asked literally every guest with a smile on my face trying to convince them but nada. I don't want this to affect my performance!

2. Since I haven't cashiered for a really long time (used to work at fastfood), I was super slow counting change and I think I didn't give the right amount to like 2 guests. Like it would be .79 but I would give them .89 instead. Omg how can I redo this!

3. I was making a conversation with a guest while checking out potato chips but I realized there were two potato chips in the bag and I might have forgotten to check out the other one. Holy shoot. I am so screwed!!! What to do!

4. How do you bag the items faster and more efficient?

5. Was I supposed to take out the cases for the DVDs? Because I didn't. Oops omg.

That's basically it. I wasn't really trained that much, other than how to work the cash register and how to do WIC checks. And like I said I literally asked for help everytime but I still made a lot of mistakes. I feel like a failure already. Sigh. Some help would be appreciated, thank you guys! :)

Btw sorry if this didn't make sense to some people, I still need to learn Target lingo haha

1. Some people don't always get a red card their first day. I wouldn't worry for now.

2. Slow down. Especially when it comes to money.

3. Again slow down. Conversation is good just make sure you know what's going on around you.

4. It comes with time.

5. Yea you need to take off those cases. You also have to take off the spiderwraps on other products. There should be a magnetic key (S3) attached to the register to remove merchandise protection.

1: RedCards will come with time. You'll eventually get into the swing of things and develop your own way of selling them. No one will judge you for not getting one your first day.
2: One good trick is start from the largest denominations, and count down. For example if the change was $12.74, you would grab a $10, two $1s, two quarters, two dimes, and four pennies
3: Again, something you'll just get used to over time. No one will bust you for forgetting one bag of chips. Just get used to glancing over a guests cart, and if they have heavy/large items, placing them in their cart for them. It gives you a chance to stretch your legs, and get another look at everything.
4: Slow down until you get the patterns down. For me, it's mainly down to muscle memory at this point. Start off slow and go from there.
5: Yes, definitely. Ask your GSA/GSTL to show you how to deal with the various security devices your store may use.

Don't worry about feeling like a failure. It's your first day. You'll always have questions, and as long as you're taking the effort to better yourself and learn, you're golden.

Thank you guys! Ugh I couldn't stop stressing. And are they going to make a big deal if I didn't remove the cases for the DVDs?

Thank you guys! Ugh I couldn't stop stressing. And are they going to make a big deal if I didn't remove the cases for the DVDs?
I've had guests bring in DVDs to the service desk that hadn't been removed from the case before, so don't worry about it. You're new and you're going to make mistakes, your GSTL will understand.

As long as it doesn't happen again, it's perfectly understandable, and any decent GSA/GSTL will understand.

When they first rolled out the blu ray cases, I grabbed a couple & made my cashiers practice with them during down time until they got them down pat. Same with spider wrap.
But that was back in the olden days when we were serious about training.

Why don't they train like this anymore?? I seriously don't understand this "sink or swim" type of training they do now.

My training at Target hasn't been the best (especially at Guest Service) but they at least told me how to remove spider wraps and DVD cases.. Sounds like they really dropped the ball with your training.

Welcome. You'll learn the job by doing the job. Esp the change. Make sure you have comfortable shoes. Mistakes happen take the opportunity to learn from them. You'll do fine.

Re: training - I put my trainees thru their paces days afterwards & would come thru with a candy bowl they could pick from if they answered my quizzes correctly (POS, credit app questions, gift registry, coupons, etc).
One day I came thru with a spider-wrapped blu ray case & a timer to see who could open them the fastest.
*sigh* Those were the days....

Like it would be .79 but I would give them .89 instead. Omg how can I redo this!
They don't count the coins in the register, anything under $20 probably won't get noticed (though it's not an excuse to not get better, as others have said, slow down).
I was making a conversation with a guest while checking out potato chips but I realized there were two potato chips in the bag and I might have forgotten to check out the other one. Holy shoot. I am so screwed!!! What to do!
Haha no one will notice. I'm sure I did this (unintentionally) a few times in the year+ I worked for target.
Was I supposed to take out the cases for the DVDs? Because I didn't. Oops omg.
There will be a black magnetic key on your register somewhere, at my store they were mounted to the poles the lane lights were mounted on (below the switch to turn your blinker on). You should ask for training from a GSTL or GSA or even another, more experienced cashier when it isn't too busy. I always grabbed a couple spiderwraps and cases when training new people. Just talk to them at the start of your shift and they should be happy to show you how to remove cases and spiderwraps.

I appreciate everyone's responses, thank you guys! Tomorrow is my second day and I am kinda nervous because I still haven't gotten the hang of it. Hopefully I will soon! Thanks guys

This reminds me... I dunno how to process a check transaction.....

I appreciate everyone's responses, thank you guys! Tomorrow is my second day and I am kinda nervous because I still haven't gotten the hang of it. Hopefully I will soon! Thanks guys
You'll definitely get the hang of it.

This reminds me... I dunno how to process a check transaction.....

Make sure the guest fills out the check with the correct information. (No partial payment with checks, it needs to be for the full amount) Press K2, K1, and then put the check in the printer underneath the coupon printer. It will print on the check and then you put the check in the drawer, either in the slot next to the 20s or underneath the tray where the 50s and 100s are stored. Sometimes you will need to scan the guest's ID before it will accept the check.

So I just started cashiering earlier and it was interesting lol. My coworkers and my trainer were very understanding and patient even though I kept turning on the blinker every 10 minutes. Anyway!!! I have a couple of problems that have been bothering me ever since I clocked out..

1. I wasn't able to sell any red cards :( I asked literally every guest with a smile on my face trying to convince them but nada. I don't want this to affect my performance!

2. Since I haven't cashiered for a really long time (used to work at fastfood), I was super slow counting change and I think I didn't give the right amount to like 2 guests. Like it would be .79 but I would give them .89 instead. Omg how can I redo this!

3. I was making a conversation with a guest while checking out potato chips but I realized there were two potato chips in the bag and I might have forgotten to check out the other one. Holy shoot. I am so screwed!!! What to do!

4. How do you bag the items faster and more efficient?

5. Was I supposed to take out the cases for the DVDs? Because I didn't. Oops omg.

That's basically it. I wasn't really trained that much, other than how to work the cash register and how to do WIC checks. And like I said I literally asked for help everytime but I still made a lot of mistakes. I feel like a failure already. Sigh. Some help would be appreciated, thank you guys! :)

Btw sorry if this didn't make sense to some people, I still need to learn Target lingo haha

1. It happens, sometimes you don't get any in a shift. GSTL/GSA will give you pointers if you ask.

2. Don't worry -- having worked in cash office you won't get in trouble for discrepancies that are <$1.00... We would only get audited if there were huge discrepancies -- they allow for a certain margin of error and account for it as being normal. That being said, don't steal -- your store AP will find out soon.

3. Maybe they ate some? This isn't a big deal, they can return them if there was a defect

4. Practice

5. No, you leave DVD's in the plastic wrap/cases...

Is it not that way at your store? I was told not to do partial payment with checks. I wasn't told a reason why.

ASANTS (all stores are not the same)

We could do it at my store(s).

Unless something's changed, its not against any corporate policy as far as I know. It might be an AP strategy for your store though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back