Archived First time working mornings

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's my third week and I've been mostly closing or working in the afternoons/evenings. Tomorrow I have a shift at 8 am and I'm wondering what goes on during this time? I'm guessing it's mostly CAF's and go backs right? Also random question but am I going to have to find a way to get through the employee door (my store opens at 8am) or just wait until it opens and bolt to clock in?

Also forgot to mention that I work in hardlines!

Last edited:
Usually CAFs, reshop, and the brand walk. ASANTS though, so definitely meet up with the opening TL or LOD and ask what they would like you to do. The brand walk is basically doing a walk of the floor with your TL and other TMs (in some stores only the TLs do it), making a list of what's wrong (signage missing/wrong, empty endcaps, garbage lying around, etc) and then fixing those problems. Depending on how late your shift ends/what the zones look like/how busy your store is, they might have you do some light mid-day zoning towards the tail-end of your shift.

As for getting into the store...I'm not sure how your store is set up but there should be an employee door or someone in security that lets opening TMs in so you can clock in on time and be on the floor ASAP.

Usually CAFs, reshop, and the brand walk. ASANTS though, so definitely meet up with the opening TL or LOD and ask what they would like you to do. The brand walk is basically doing a walk of the floor with your TL and other TMs (in some stores only the TLs do it), making a list of what's wrong (signage missing/wrong, empty endcaps, garbage lying around, etc) and then fixing those problems. Depending on how late your shift ends/what the zones look like/how busy your store is, they might have you do some light mid-day zoning towards the tail-end of your shift.

As for getting into the store...I'm not sure how your store is set up but there should be an employee door or someone in security that lets opening TMs in so you can clock in on time and be on the floor ASAP.
Thanks! I hadn't heard about brand walks until now so that will be interesting if it happens. My shift ends at 4 so I'm guessing I'll do some zoning. We do have an employee door but I figured it was more for those who have shifts before opening.

My current store has a TM door smack dab in the front center of the building where you press the two buttons (one for the front of the building and one for the back). My other store used the cart door (it was a single door between the entrance and exit doors) and the button was a tad higher than average to keep it inconspicuous. My advice would be to get there early and see if anyone else goes in before opening. Make sure you have your photo ID and discount card ready in case the person at the door doesn't know you!

They didn't show you the team member door during your orientation? At my store it's the same door they use for the carts during business hours, at my old store it was a ways to the left of the main entrance, right next to where our hr desk was located.

If you've only been closing, you'll find that you won't recognize a lot of the people working during the morning. I remember the first time I worked earlier in the day after being there a month or two just closing - I didn't know a soul! If you're just doing reshop or zoning, you probably won't be able to get a MyDevice so you'll have to find a way to get by without one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back