Logistics flexing and capacity/quantity

If a particular item has a location capacity of 10, and I flex another 10 next to it, I've been told to update capacity and quantity to 20. However, I've been thinking that that would give DC the impression our capacity really is 20, and we'll just keep receiving more of that item to replenish the 'fake' capacity. Would it make any difference if I update the quantity to 20, but backtrack the capacity to the original 10? Would DC only then replenish when the SFQ goes down to whatever threshold below 10? Or would we continually receive more as we sell more, regardless of capacity? In this example, backstocking isn't an option...

Don't know how SFQ numbers tie into what the DC knows, but I do update my numbers for the sake of our SFS TMs so they know where to find stuff and orders can be placed for the product. I try to keep my numbers in line so SFQ + BS = actual OH. It doesn't always work, but I still try. And it *seems like* replenishment wouldn't happen until your stock got low enough to trigger it. (Yeah, I know - I have Dove deodorant coming out my ears right now - a checklane SP + an endcap SP + home location still does not require dozens of each kind. But I got more today!)

If a particular item has a location capacity of 10, and I flex another 10 next to it, I've been told to update capacity and quantity to 20. However, I've been thinking that that would give DC the impression our capacity really is 20, and we'll just keep receiving more of that item to replenish the 'fake' capacity. Would it make any difference if I update the quantity to 20, but backtrack the capacity to the original 10? Would DC only then replenish when the SFQ goes down to whatever threshold below 10? Or would we continually receive more as we sell more, regardless of capacity? In this example, backstocking isn't an option...
Honestly, it would be better to only use a portion of the product from the original location for flexing. Updating the capacity like that could come back to bite you in the ass later when you get the product in that really goes there.

Disclaimer: Info is from my gm etl, could be wrong. Who knows.

Your first point about changing capacity to 20 from 10 when flexing to the side. Why would you not just create a flex location and do 10 fit for the pog location and 10 for the flex? If your leader is so concerned about having two price labels side by side, just don’t print the second label. HOWEVER, doing this would require you to be responsible and not forget about the flex spot. I would forget, so I wouldn’t personally do it. If there is another dpci to the side but is just currently out of stock and THAT’s why you’re flexing, I really wouldn’t go changing the capacity of only the home location.

To uphold data integrity, flex with or without a label and keep the home true to its original capacity. It’s gonna be human error, not the system.

Second thing. DC sends tons of stuff for tons of reasons. Replenishment and anticipating demand are two of those. Each dpci can trigger replenishment from DC at varying OH amounts depending on how that product is trending. Large coolers might not trigger replenishment during the winter until they are at 0 or 1 OH because of the space they take up and move slow. Essential items like bulk water triggers replenishment at varying OH, maybe at larger counts for larger stores? The only thing that can trigger replenishment is an audit or sales down to that unknown OH number that varies by item. Another important thing to know is if you audit past that trigger number or to 0, but mostly 0, it will trigger replenishment. You might not get any, but every time you audit to 0, the dc will be made aware.

If anyone knows if this info is wrong please lmk and I will edit it!

The last piece of info I’ll share just incase you don’t know is if you type in, for example, “E15” in MyDay under scan, it will bring up the aisle. The first section shown is what is on POG, and the second section is every single flex location tied to that aisle. It will be for every section tied to E15. Just something to check out if you didn’t know :)! Also, the dpci’s are pressable and you can see dates up to at least a year ago(july 2020 is the oldest one I’ve seen?)

Each item has what is called a presentation minimum that is set by the people who create pogs and decide what items each store sells. This presentation minimum is not a number we have the ability to change at the store level so it really does not matter if the SFQ/SFC gets changed because replenishment will only happen if we Audit to 0 or our OH goes below the presentation minimum.

We don’t do anything with an item that is flexed within the same pog. When the correct item comes in, we fill the correct item, pull the excess of the wrong item, back stock the wrong item, and update sfq to match sfc in that order. This prevents the system from thinking you backstocked something that had space but also requires the least follow up.

If the shelf space says 4, fuck it 4 it is.
Even if the items are like picture frames I just leave the "shelf space capacity" as is... What bugs me the the most though, is when similar items of the same size and what not say "20+ can fit". Maybe you can fit 20 of them if the label said two or three rows, but if you put 20 of the same picture frames in one spot the picture frames would look like dominos?

I change the amount on shelf to whatever i flexed out then change the fit amount back to its regular amount. It won't pull any one 4 one's for that item till the shelf amount goes below the fit amount ( unless the numbers change by some mysterious way as happens from time to time). Also I believe the DC sends product based on the on hand number and could care less about the fit or on shelf numbers.

In my store the only time where we flex on the isle is when an item is either discontinued or has gone clearance. This was waived during the pandemic when everyone needed toiletpaper (which made my job a FUCK ton easier) Now since everyone has clean asses we're forced to go back to planagram.

In my store the only time where we flex on the isle is when an item is either discontinued or has gone clearance. This was waived during the pandemic when everyone needed toiletpaper (which made my job a FUCK ton easier) Now since everyone has clean asses we're forced to go back to planagram.
We’re back to flexing TP because we are being sent so much. Our OH numbers are probably off because TP is on system audit everyday and because it is so flexed the person that completes the audit may put 0 when it is really there ... somewhere ... so we get sent more because they put 0. Vicious cycle. Planogram s are there to give parameters for the system to work properly, flexing messes with everything.

We’re back to flexing TP because we are being sent so much. Our OH numbers are probably off because TP is on system audit everyday and because it is so flexed the person that completes the audit may put 0 when it is really there ... somewhere ... so we get sent more because they put 0. Vicious cycle. Planogram s are there to give parameters for the system to work properly, flexing messes with everything.

My ETL has us just type in whatever the OH is in Audit for this very reason. And it has helped tremendously with what we're getting sent.

Oh. God. Your poor fulfillment team. Auditing to the OH is definitely no bueno for them. I tend to rage to my ETL everytime I INF something that I can tell was recently audited to the OH.

So far, I haven't heard any complaints. And I am often picking along with them too. If it becomes an issue I know the fulfillment TL will jump all over it with the ETL- he hates his numbers going bad!

When I complete the Audit I always visually confirm there is some of each paper item on a shelf before confirming the OH; I just don't count it all because it's flexed. And we don't locate any of the pipo paper backstock either.

Back