Archived Flexing & Filled Aisle's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new here, hello all. I have not been at Target very long but have observed quite a bit. Just a little background: I'm on Flow. I do everything from unloading the truck to regular pushing, backroom stocking, pulls, planogram, ad set, cooler/freezer truck (basically all of market really) so I have experience doing quite a bit. Our store does pretty decent volume, not huge but definitely not small.

My question/venting is about Flexing and having Filled Aisle's. My ETL is big on having aisle's look full all the time and I have a small issue with this (which I of course have brought up to him and even the STL many, many times) and want to get the opinions and thoughts of others on this to see if maybe I am not seeing something.

The first thing is I completely understand why they want end-caps filled: It does look a lot nicer and flexing those isn't an issue, they're just a small 4-foot section and it isn't a big deal. My issue is flexing in aisle's to make it look full.

The idea behind it seems flawed to me and so does the execution.

#1: The reason the ETL gives for flexing to look full is because he says when people look down the aisle and see it's full they're more likely to go down it. In my opinion, a shopper goes down an aisle that says "Canned Goods" because they want canned goods. Whether one whole shelf is empty, spotty or completely filled, I don't think, in my opinion, that person will care at all. I can't imagine a person saying "Well, it's not filled enough for me to go down that aisle."

I can see how corporate would care because it isn't "brand" and that is a reason I can understand, albeit not one I agree with. Empty shelves looks like crap but a few tiny spots I don't think is a huge issue from where I see it, though I could be wrong.

#2: The execution is really the issue. When he has us flex stuff it inevitably is in the spot where other stuff would be, of course. So when that product comes in it now means we have to backstock all the flexed over stuff (more times than not the flexed over product isn't a big seller it seems) and thus creating more work. Also, having more product than what the systems thinks fills the shelf undoubtedly causes the pulls to messup, thus creating more pull time and backstock time.

This wouldn't be so much of an issue if it was just 1 or 2 items being flexed over to make it look fuller, maybe take some behind so the counts aren't messed up and when you push the product that goes where the stuff has been flexed you really won't have much, if any, backstock. But, we're being told to fill it completely with an entire casepack.

This, of course, isn't the end of the world, it's just an annoyance and when it happens to a lot of sections and many aisle's you can imagine the extra work. That alone probably doesn't sound like a lot of extra time, but our TL can't handle any pressure and gets on our case if something literally takes a few seconds extra. And also people in our store think if it's a pull or a push from the truck that there can't be backstock so almost everything is flexed making a big headache.

This turned into a vent/rant and for that I apologize. What do you guys think of flexing to make full? How is this implemented in your stores?

More sales, more hours & more team members. It better to a full shelve than an empty one.
We had 2 pogs with 1 section each of pushed product out & remaining sections were empty. it made no sense, but it was done.

Last edited:
That is a good thought, as more work means more hours, except once 10am comes Flow is sent home and the sales floor will finish anything not done, so unfortunately it doesn't help when we're pressured to get everything done.

That is a good thought, as more work means more hours, except once 10am comes Flow is sent home and the sales floor will finish anything not done, so unfortunately it doesn't help when we're pressured to get everything done.
That's spot for you. Search some threads, we got pictures of the empty areas after being set.

I have always been taught that endcaps are prime real estate and they should be kept full as possible. However, here lately I have seen endcaps that sit for days with barely anything on them ( unless there is a visit coming then its amazing how fast they get changed out ). To the Op, the #1 reason the etl gave for flexing out merchandise I don't understand either. I don't get cramming out 40 cans of the same soup which means you are putting those cans in the locations meant for other flavors etc...then when those flavors come in the flexed out ones become bs...they get backstocked...and if not done under subt999 turn around and come out on a caf...so it never ends. I do see flexing out seasonal merchandise( ie , Halloween, Christmas, Valentines etc) its better to have it out on the floor represented than in the backroom where it wont sell....then you are left with a lot of candy etc that goes clearance and the store loses money on the profit margin.

Flex don't pack it, enough to look full but not back breaking to correct. And when pulling down flex if you can keep that back stock separate so backroom can back stock it correctly. This, I admit is hard to pull off, but sometimes it works. And I know backroom does appreciate it, the good backroom guys/girls do cause they don't want to pull it in the next round either.

Reason #1 is BS you want full isles so customers don't think you are going under or the place is trashed. People don't like dirty or stores that might be going under. (In truth you want shelves filled so you can't see the dirt and how ugly the shelves really are.. Also to not be like Wal-Mart.

And end caps are huge sales, toss whatever as an example paper towels are on ad, you will fill it multiple times a day. Cause they sell! We have the Clorox wipes on an end cap for two weeks now, I fill that thing a couple times a day, people are paranoid about germs in the middle of flu season. They are wiping down everything.

Regarding the flexing with an item next to a hole -- when you flex on an aisle, you shouldn't put out more than what will go out to the home location when the flexed over product arrives. Even if the product doesn't arrive, when a pull for the flexed item comes out, the team member stocking should see the item is being used for flex material and stock an appropriate quantity.

End caps are a different beast because they're three dimensional. Stocking just a few in the front will leave a visual empty spot toward the back unless you're crafty about it.

When you get into highly perishable foods like produce, meat, or dairy, you have to use your judgement. Expiration dates are terrible. If you have four facings of one item that goes out in a month, and one facing of an item that goes out next week, to try to prevent losses, I'd say push out more facings of the shorter dated item to optimize opportunity to sell as much of it as you can.

Flexing is a cancer in my store that needs to go away. Seriously, nobody who does it bothers to look at the prices. I especially hate how they just completely fill every empty facing of the new release electronics and entertainment endcaps with just one movie/game, it looks retarded.

As a backroom team member I never mind when items are flexed responsibly even if it creates a few extra mins of work for the backroom, however when it's done in a dumb way, that irrates me. I would hate to have to back stock a whole bunch of open stock because someone wanted entire cases put out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back