Archived Flow team best practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a flow tm I was trained to look at the box first , then find your location, and open box. Sounds about right. I was told if only 1 will go out, don't open the box. Well apparently, to my surprise, maybe not yours, this is against best practice . So, what does your store do?

Our flow team is told to not open a case pack if only a couple will go out ...do they actually do this...no So, I guess it turns out they are following best practice and didn't even know it ... :)

Open the box, fill the location, check for any second/third/etc. locations, empty the rest of the box onto the backstock red, break down your box and put it into the bin, move on.

As a flow tm I was trained to look at the box first , then find your location, and open box. Sounds about right. I was told if only 1 will go out, don't open the box. Well apparently, to my surprise, maybe not yours, this is against best practice . So, what does your store do?

ALWAYS fill to capacity. Don't overstock or understock, and make sure secondary locations are also filled to capacity.

The second location works best if you have a PDA. We have around 40 PDA and you couldn't find a PDA to check for any location. Plus with only 90mins to get the floor cleaned up. They are lucky if i even open up a box to put 1 out of 12 item in that box on the shelf. Waste of time to open a box for one item.

From a backroom perspective ( once all locations have been checked) if only one in a case is going out ...and if its a case of lets say 24 cans of soup...why open it ...its so much easier to backstock a whole case than 23 open stock cans...because we ( backroom) cant bs a partial case, However, Spot wants what spots wants....so open the box for the one can of soup.

Yeah, from what I know, it's a convenience thing for backroom. Otherwise, why wouldn't you fill the floor?

push to the piece....which means fill even just one. to help with the b/s we leave can soup in the cardboard box when we send it b/s to help from cans mixing!

The second location works best if you have a PDA. We have around 40 PDA and you couldn't find a PDA to check for any location. Plus with only 90mins to get the floor cleaned up. They are lucky if i even open up a box to put 1 out of 12 item in that box on the shelf. Waste of time to open a box for one item.

I agree about opening for one item part. I had an aisle the last shift i worked that was FULL of backstock.The bad part is aside from a couple of boxes with damaged stock,the entire aisle for the most part had only one or two items per box that could fit on the shelf

Back in the day I was trained to not open a case pack for less than half the pack. Since this 4x4 started, once when I was BR on a saturday and getting aggravated about the case packs minus one, I said something to the FTL and was told that "now the team is told to push to the piece". That was the only time though so I still tend to stick to my original best practice. However, check end caps AND sidecaps.

We have at least 1 PDA in market to check for 2nd locations. I always scan everything . Let's not forget FIFO everything, it just seems a waste of time to open anything for 1 item. I often do challenge and rarely get a whole box because 1 item wasn't pushed. It's mostly everything else, very little market. I will do what I am told to do! Thanks for the info. It's always interesting to see what everybody else is doing

Check the pick label for the asterisk to see if it has a second location. I fully back the less than half rule. If I get a partial case to backstock, I'll scan it and if the item is already backstocked, I'll take from that location and add it to the case.

What's a PDA ? Never seen one in Market while we stock, but let's not 4-get those 2nd locations...mmm-kay

Best Practice is to push to the piece. But, if backroom space is limited, it's easier to back stock a case pack than 23 little bottles in a waco. For my team, I had them push to the piece. If that meant taking one out then so be it...but if only 1 of 6 or 2 of 12 was missing...I would have the backroom trained to back stock the quantity on the label. Then pull quantity on the label later.

We are told at our store that if 2 or 3 can go out dont open the box. Just zone the location ie... bring the product already there forward to fill the spots.
And make sure the product does not have a second location. If there is an asterisk on the label than there is a second location somewhere. Have someone with a PDA/Scanner check for you.

And make sure the product does not have a second location. If there is an asterisk on the label than there is a second location somewhere. Have someone with a PDA/Scanner check for you.
But note that not all asterisks actually have second locations, and not all multilocation items have asterisks.

Last night I was working a box with an asterisk ... scanned with my PDA and no second location :/
Could not find other location..no end cap etc...it happens.

Sometimes those second locations are sidecaps or endcaps that don't exist because they haven't been set yet or they didn't have enough sidecaps to make them.

Sometimes those second locations are sidecaps or endcaps that don't exist because they haven't been set yet or they didn't have enough sidecaps to make them.

This. The asterisk on the pick label indicates that a POG containing a 2nd location is tied, not necessarily set, at the time of the label drop at the DC (when the casepack is picked by the system to be loaded onto the storebound truck). Or else that POG was untied between the label drop and the truck's arrival, but the former is more likely.

I am part of the flow team at my store and we push to the piece, even if the shelf only needs one piece out of the box. I also back stock so I know the pain of having to back stock so many things in the wacos. On my food truck team we always push to the piece I make sure of that, even though back stocking the food truck is a little bit different in some ways.

Flow question: I've been Flow Team now for 5 months (Super T). I will keep this simple. I'm in grocery (beverages), how many boxes are expected to be pushed per TM, per hour at your store ? Thanks!

Flow question: I've been Flow Team now for 5 months (Super T). I will keep this simple. I'm in grocery (beverages), how many boxes are expected to be pushed per TM, per hour at your store ? Thanks!
You're supposed to do a box a minute. Which includes, opening, FIFOing, Stocking, and then breaking down the box and throwing it end of the isle.

Really though, if people really took that long, they'd be in the same isle till close. imagine if you got stuck in the coffee/tea isle, and there are 70 cases. You'd probably get coached if you took an hour and ten mintues to finish the isle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back