Best "I Told You So" Moment

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
This is a thread for the best "I told you so" moment at work.
You don't have to have actually said the words, knowing it works just as well.

In my case it was a lighting display planogram.
It showed all the lamps I had to build neatly lined up.
The planogram didn't look right to me but the picture showed everything fitting.
So I built the lamps and started putting them up.
I got a quarter of the way through and went, nope this isn't going to turn out right.
Looked at the picture a little more closely and you could see the seams where they had chopped pieces together.
They never actually set up the display just photoshopped it together.
The Plano TL was new and when I told him did the, "Well you just have to make it work." lecture.
I was off for the next two days and when I came back, he had tried to set it up.
Looked great up till the end where there were six lamps all tied together in a bunch, looking like a bouquet of lamps.
I didn't say a word, just waited for ETL to ask WTF was going on so I could explain.
We pulled six of the cheapest lamps in case you were wondering how we fixed it.

Last edited:
Context is AP at an RDC.

Three of a specific box was supposed to have diverted from the automated sorter down the chute toward the store trailer it was being loaded on, only 2 appeared on camera to have done so. My peer that was investigating this said they thought a box that was similar enough must be it and called it good enough. I had my doubts but allowed them to make that decision as they were supposed to be my equal and I already received complaints with boss as proxy that I was too "bossy".

A month or so later we recieved a report from a store about a missing item (dont remember, apple watch maybe?) and I got to work. I shortly realised it was the same box we were looking at from earlier so I double checked my peers work.

Cutting out a suprisingly lengthy and in-depth explanation, I was able to prove by a process of eliminating every single other box that ran through the sorter (note this is rough average over 100k boxes on an average 10 hour shift) that the box in fact had not diverted at the time the system showed, and in fact diverted exactly one hour later. I never found out the exact cause of tbe glitch but there were a few errors with the sorter that day so it didnt surprise me too much.

Reviewing the footage myself, sure enough I see the TM loaded that trailer stealing from the box. I was able to create and close the case succesfully and the TM was pulled from the floor on their next shift and police called.

I did my best to be polite when explaining to my manager how, despite how impressive my absolute proof was, all my peer needed to do was spend 10 minutes watching the footage on 4x speed an hour ahead (which I had sugfested they do at the time) and they would have clearly caught the theft right then and there.

It was around BTC. I was on instocks (RIP). We were out of tide. We were supposed to have combo pallets of it. I told all of my leaders that it is probably getting sent to a store with a similar number.

1 hellish week later; my etl and TL start calling stores. Mysupport is of course useless. After like the eighth store, whoop there it is. 3 whole combo pallets at another store about 150 miles away. They had to sweep it back so the DC can send it to us. Never had pushback after that.

I'm not sure if this counts, but it's something that's stayed with me over the years.

We were transitioning from a Food Ave to a Starbucks. I don't drink coffee so I made sure to pay extra attention to the DM who was training us so I could learn as much as I could to be the best barista I could be.

A few months in, our espresso machine wasn't working correctly, it wasn't pulling the shots right at the end. I brought it up to my TL who shrugged it off. After a few days, in conversation I mentioned it to my ETL. I ended up asking for numerous work orders because it kept getting ignored. Eventually my TL pulled me into the back and told me to stop, the machine was fine and I was overreacting.

Shortly after, a TL from another store came to help us with something and he saw one drink being made on the espresso bar and said, "Oh, no! Your espresso machine isn't working right! You need to put a work order, and we can no longer use the machine until it's fixed."

I didn't say it out loud but I definitely had a moment of, "If only someone had listened to me..."

At a store BBQ, a team lead was in charge of grilling the hot dogs. His technique in grilling is they're done when they change color. The problem with this is the hot dogs needed more cooking time. I took one bite of one of the hot dogs and said they're still cold. The team members there said, no, they're fine. The team members who ate their whole, cold dogs called out sick the next day with food poisoning.

Last edited:
Keep telling all the TLs they need to run the compactor occasionally. Couple of months back I was off and they still didn't and the PML and Cart Attendant had to clean up about ten Gaylord boxes of trash that fell out of the chute... They still don't run the compactor

This was at Sears. Some genius above my pay grade thought it was a good idea to use small glass shelves to display things on a wall in Home Fashions. They put up about 4 or 5 of them. Right at eye level.

I was in Loss Prevention at the time and expressed my concerns about these shelves, which to me were an accident waiting to happen, from either breakage or someone whacking their head on them. If I recall correctly I think I may have even knocked in to one.

Eventually one broke. Then another. I think it was the third one breaking that finally got them to take the others down.

Dumbasses.

When new to our store POS came and we had to log in With our TM # and PIN, in the clear.
told the ETL S & E and ETL HR that I wouldnot sign in where anyone could see my number & PIN. Or video it on their phones.

Was told I was paranoid and made to feel like an idiot. I still never called anyone over to a lane if I backed up u til after I signed in.

that’s my one and only coaching, for failure to follow instructions.

A few years later…

When new to our store POS came and we had to log in With our TM # and PIN, in the clear.
told the ETL S & E and ETL HR that I wouldnot sign in where anyone could see my number & PIN. Or video it on their phones.

Was told I was paranoid and made to feel like an idiot. I still never called anyone over to a lane if I backed up u til after I signed in.

that’s my one and only coaching, for failure to follow instructions.

A few years later…
I changed the password on the POS and the MyDevice.

I only had to change two numbers because I went from using my mother's birthday to my father's.

They were both born in the same year and month.

Back