Archived Flow TL a promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the flow TL position isn't bad if you can handle it, so...

But keeping throwing around names, makes you look really smart.

Must suck seeing people handle those tough positions and advance over you, huh? Usually the bitter people like you are the ones working carts for 10 years telling everyone TL positions suck while the TLs make bank compared to you. Who is the moron now?

Oh I handled the position good. It's funny how you guys are a hivemind and can't see how a post means one thing without going the opposite way. Keep sucking on each others nipple.
naterstx when you post a smartass reply like you did you open yourself up for smartass comments coming back to you. Ignoring both of you reres.

It is possible for people to see things as challenges and for others to see the very same situation as a dead end.
There seem to be such a broad variety of experiences from one store to another as well.
It just seems to depend on how well the place is managed, how much support you will get both from below and above.
The fact that there are such a broad range of answers here make it clear that it depends very much on the nature of your store and your temperament.

I thought Sr Tl wasn't offered at low or ultra-low volume stores. Even if it is, I don't know why some are giving him a hard time for turning down the position. With the wrong team, flow can be an incredibly difficult and stressful process. I'm a backroom TL and I get headaches when my weekend comes up to cover our flow team. I don't know how my peer does it full time. Experiences can vary though, and I can tell that with a team that isn't full of apathetic, disengaged, and slow/lazy members, it can be less stressful. I don't care about it being fulfilling. I'm just relived when I made it out of my shift unscathed. If he doesn't care about advancing his career with Target, why wouldn't he want to take the easier road of Salesfloor TL, IMO, to get to a paycheck?

Last edited:
I was promoted to from GSA to this position as my first TL spot in my store. I only did it for about 3 months as the TL before me was only on a leave. Let me tell you, it was the worst three months in my time at Target. The expectations and workload that goes with this position is incredibly difficult, although it may be easier for someone that already has TL experience. The team can also be very disengaged, particularly if you are young like I am and you are trying to lead a team that has a lot of older TMs on it that don't take well to being lead by someone half their age. You definitely need to have the right kind of personality for the job, good luck otherwise.

As for it being a promotion, I guess it depends on the store. I am making more now as a SLTL than I was as a non key carrying Flow TL.

Why are you guys being so grumpy? He just wanted opinions. I wouldn't ever want to be the flow TL at my store. It wouldn't be a good fit for me, at least not any time soon. I wish you continued success in your current role FoodDude.

Oh yeah, someone said it was only key carrier at ULV stores, not true. I'm at a B-volume and our Flow TL is a key carrier.

Why are you guys being so grumpy? He just wanted opinions.

I agree with this--this thread got so nasty for no apparent reason. If you don't mind one more opinion, FD, I think you should do what's best for you in the long run. If you don't think it's the right fit for you, at least not at this time, it's best to reject it. But keep in mind that you could take a hit to your reputation and relationship with leadership at you store if you reject the opportunity. If that happens, it could make things unpleasant for you for a while but if you put in the right effort, you can overcome that by being the strongest TL you can be, being a great partner to other areas of your store and going out of your way to support the person who does get the Flow position. You come across as a committed and intelligent person with a positive attitude in these threads and I think you'll ultimately be fine no matter what choice you make.

That entitlement attitude of yours is not going to be well received. Target owes you nothing because of prior management at another retailer. The fact is you turned down a job because you felt it would be too difficult to handle - you can tell your ETLs a different line, but they all know what the real deal is. You can run around all day telling your ETLs you are capable of more from this point while you are setting end caps, working stray and the zone with TMs, and calling for a key carrier (possibly your flow TL) to get your equipment for you. The fact is, the TL that gets the flow position now will be *showing* them he can handle leading a large team on his own, a key, and an alarm code. You understand the difference between showing and telling, right? Showing is much more impressive.

The fact is, the TL who gets flow now (assuming he does well) is going to be a top candidate for Sr TL.

wow

Try to find out if the flow team is able to get the trucks done on a regular basis. If the answer is no, run for the hills. They will drive you insane.

Our flow tl is one of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever worked with at target. Provided me with far more logistical and emotional support than my or any other tl and exec in the building. They were also the most unappreciated, blamed and downtrodden tl in the building, even more than our poor food and Plano leads.

Every store situation is different, but based on my experiences in a few stores, you did your physical and mental health a solid by passing on the spot.

And to whoever said "tl making bank" earlier? Too ****ing funny. Even as a senior tl at the top of the pay range, you are drastically underpaid for all the stress and other fun that comes with being a tl. Unless your one of the favored.

Hey gang just a quick update on this since its the least I can do thanks to all your feedback.... after I turned down the flow team lead position and an external candidate search our back room team leader was asked to do the flow and accepted.... they then asked me if I wanted back room team lead.... since I have a great partnership with the new flow guy I absolutely felt comfortable accepting the back rom team lead position... I feel this set up actually was the best out come for our business and our personal aspirations and passions!

Thats great and you really need a good relationship with the backroom TL otherwise it make things dificult. A lot of my good team members would move to backroom or cross-train to help out as needed because they wanted the hours but not a permanent move. We would help and support each other. I got burned out on Flow but could never have done backroom because that would have been way too fisical for a 50 yr old woman. Too much up and down the ladders for me. But glad it worked out for you and that you will have a great partnership. I would ask him to keep and eye on my team and I would do the same when the other was not around.

It is all about having that good relationship,working together is the only way to be successful and it makes an amazing difference to the entire logistics process.I hope you do great.Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back