Archived Flow TLs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a girl on my team that hates where she is. She hates our Hr and called Hotline over a dozen times: on her day off.
She just came in and refuses to say good morning to me: and quite honestly it really makes me mad. At what point does this become a FFF coaching?

Also while i have you- what are your routines? How do you give/divide your attention to the team?

What is "offensible" to you? I can't stand tardiness. I hate waiting by that door!

How do you deal with TM wanting to leave early (school...dr apt. scheduled times and truck isn't done etc...)

How do you deal with TM wanting to leave early (school...dr apt. scheduled times and truck isn't done etc...)

Leaving when you're scheduled to is considered leaving early? This is not a TM's issue, this is the error of their higher ups.

There's either TM's slacking, who should be terminated, or they need to allocate more hours to the process (this one is much more likely).

If is school or doctor thats something you can not fight or write someone up over. Anything else thats fair game. When i did flow for awhile never got in trouble for leaving early for class that started at 10 because of my etl log and hr.

you cant do anything about them leaving at their scheduled time. you can ask them to stay or whatever but cant coach em for leaving.

Tell the team you need to be at the door no earlier than 5 minutes before their shift and 5 minutes after other wise they can wait until the next set of people come in. this is a double edged sword because if you really need the people youll be desperate and wont follow through. we have a shift that comes in at 3:30 4:00 and 4:30 if they dont make it in on time at 4 they have to wait till 4:30.. if they dont make it at 4:30 they wait until 5 etc.

same goes for breaks. we let our team take their 15 at 6:15 every morning and they can go outside... go out at the same time.. come in at the same time... im not sitting at the door and letting one in at a time its a waste of my time and my break.

you need to talk to HR about her attitude. you can coach her for spreading ill will or something like that i cant remember the exact wording but its basically being negative etc but make sure you are being understanding and trying to find a solution. for instance if shes normally in softlines doing break out and she hates it try training her someplace else. she sounds like she could cause a lot of issues and you really need to be partnering with your HR you two should have had a lot of conversations about this person already.

as for the rest i dunno im not flow tl anymore and things have changed.. best of luck!

As far as your TM who dislikes her role, I would pull her into the office and just ask her flat out if she likes working here. If she doesn't, then ask her why and how you can make it better. More importantly, actually try to make it better. Aside from that, the TM isn't required to speak to you. As long as she does what you ask, then you really have no avenue. I suppose you could get around it by coaching her for FFF saying her attitude impacts VIBE scores because she is not helping the guest, but that's kind of grimy. The direct approach is probably better.

For leaving early, I just ask them why and then say no problem, I'll go ahead and mark you down as left early, I hope everything works out. When they return to work I ask them how everything worked out.

I have a girl on my team that hates where she is. She hates our Hr and called Hotline over a dozen times: on her day off.
She just came in and refuses to say good morning to me: and quite honestly it really makes me mad. At what point does this become a FFF coaching?

Inability to Perform Duties in a Positive and Respectful Manner Consistent with Target Corporation Brand Expectations.
You need to take the emotions out of it, who cares if it makes you mad. You need to make it strictly business or it will come back at you.

What is "offensible" to you? I can't stand tardiness. I hate waiting by that door!

That's part of your position, suck it up and deal with it. You want them there on time but then you mention them leaving on time is an issue. You need to be there from 5 before until 5 after. If they are not there within that 10 minute window then they wait until the next shift. If it's a habit then you move to coachings and corrective action.

The schedule is made 2 weeks in advance correct? People plan their lives, and believe it or not, people have other things to do besides push a truck at Target. You do not own people, I wish god damn ETL's and TL's would understand that.

I appreciate everyone. It is truly a double edged sword position and one of the most challenging that I have ever had in my six years with the company.

I hope I didn't come across as requiring my team to bow at every target need, our store has a very strong culture centered around work/life balance.

However there are challenges I'm coming across that I have never encountered (with both my new transfer and new position & really I suppose right now that is solely because we have had no STL for quite some time and our 3 ETLs aren't on the same page... That is neither here nor there...another post another day...)
I am used to the fact that this is a job and you come in to do work. And its (as much as i hate the saying) One team, one voice, one Dream..

So more specifically; for example
The person that does zone 9 will leave when it is time for lunch without any communication. Mytime "isn't dropping availabilites correctly" for school and I can't keep 20 people's school/life schedule straight... (I live in a college town)

I am a SeniorTL covering LOD shifts while simeltaniously working a truck or I am a highly paid flow TM because my team cant finish a truck.
I can't be everywhere at once and I get no support, not enough hours to finish a truck and its definately not running on right person right place.... Because the several times I have maneuvered people my next off day my ETL does it his way (and won't accept ideas unless they are his own.)

As far as this TM: she has a bad attitude and it is cancerous, while my SL team is burnt out (they are and I know it!) her bad attitude only fuels their fire. We had 16! Trucks in a row during BTS and we were as you can imagine, dying!

I'm 3 months into my position and I feel like im dying.

So, please
Don't add fuel.
I'm simply asking to my fellow TLs- what do you do (or would you do) to make it work/better

Thank you

I appreciate everyone. It is truly a double edged sword position and one of the most challenging that I have ever had in my six years with the company.

I hope I didn't come across as requiring my team to bow at every target need, our store has a very strong culture centered around work/life balance.

Thank you

It did and its all to common in leadership.

I feel like I'm in a s.l.o.w.l.y. sinking ship at Target. What bothers me most are the leaders that pretend it's not happening. Clearly, it's not my head. Imo, don't ignore the obvious and gloss over it with your team members. She hates it, a lot of us do. I hate seeing my department leave tasks incomplete every day. Yesterday I spent my entire shift backstocking instead of my regular duties. I'm sorry I'm not one with solutions for you, but I do feel your pain. Lack of hours and resources suck for those of us who care.

I see the issue already. You do not have control over your work center or respect from your team.
To make this easy on you do these things.
To control the lunch issue, assign lunch times. Cut out that shit of them going when they want. They also need to status with you (over walkie) to update you on their progress before they head to lunch. If they fail to do this then you coach them, it's simple. This isn't about control, it's about respect and enables you to plan as needed.
The availabilities sounds like bullshit, someone just isn't doing what they should be doing. Either the TM isn't filling out a new form, or the ETL is letting it slide, or HR isn't adjusting it, something is going on. I do know that the TM should bring the issue to your attention as soon as the schedule is posted so you can correct any issues and look into it.
To that bitch that is rude, coach her and then move to corrective action. To even get a little bit even (for your own satisfaction), explain to her during the corrective action that a corrective action isn't to get them, it's to correct an action. It is telling the truth, is completely appropriate, and takes all emotion out of it, all the while the person being told that will think you're being condescending but can't do shit about it. You can also move her to a different section. Someone would suggest HBA or something, make that bitch bowl out chemicals and she won't have the energy to gripe and moan.

A team member who leaves at their scheduled time...isn't doing anything wrong. If you ask them to stay...and they say no...that should be the end of it . Your scheduling is at fault there and not your team members. Secondly, FFF is a two way street most TLs and ETLS, seem to forget this...just because a Tm doesn't jump at the chance to say good morning to you...doesn't mean they are just being an ass. Do you say good morning to everyone ? If your tm is just miserable in their role...then why not talk to her...human to human and see what the issue is...it could be something simple...that both of you can fix. Lastly, maybe just maybe...if she is calling the hotline ...that many times...there could be a issue with HR....just because someone is in a position of authority doesn't make them right out of the gate. Hell, I called the hotline every single day for over two weeks on my stl...and I even told the hotline ppl that I would be calling every day until something was done...why did I do this ? Because there was a true issue with the Stl and something needed to be done...and guess what it was . So, don't assume she is just being a pain in the ass....take the time to find out what the deal is...and if you are NOT treating her with at least some common respect....start there....trust me it works wonders. Respect is a two way street....you cant demand it from someone that you are not giving it to...and if you do...that just shows poor leadership.

Last edited:
I see the issue already. You do not have control over your work center or respect from your team.
To make this easy on you do these things.
To control the lunch issue, assign lunch times. Cut out that shit of them going when they want. They also need to status with you (over walkie) to update you on their progress before they head to lunch. If they fail to do this then you coach them, it's simple. This isn't about control, it's about respect and enables you to plan as needed.
The availabilities sounds like bullshit, someone just isn't doing what they should be doing. Either the TM isn't filling out a new form, or the ETL is letting it slide, or HR isn't adjusting it, something is going on. I do know that the TM should bring the issue to your attention as soon as the schedule is posted so you can correct any issues and look into it.
To that bitch that is rude, coach her and then move to corrective action. To even get a little bit even (for your own satisfaction), explain to her during the corrective action that a corrective action isn't to get them, it's to correct an action. It is telling the truth, is completely appropriate, and takes all emotion out of it, all the while the person being told that will think you're being condescending but can't do shit about it. You can also move her to a different section. Someone would suggest HBA or something, make that bitch bowl out chemicals and she won't have the energy to gripe and moan.
Get even? that's the whole issue right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back