Archived Follow up on Union Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was also posted under the union thread a couple weeks back.

Yeesh, this is incredibly bad taste on corporate's part.

When you are thought of as less evil than your main competitor and you start doing stuff that they did, it affects your brand. (Fun fact, after the donations to the political action comittee in 2010, it cost this company $2 billion in brand value).

Being a tad nicer to your employees pays so much better for businesses in the long run.

It's no big surprise.
They had to take her out, to make it clear to her coworkers who had the power.
Spot sees unions as a danger above and beyond their brand or even good will with their guests.
Our future is not looking good without the unions.
As the Koch brothers and Citizens United changes the face of politics in the United States as we know it the only people who can fight for the middle class are getting crushed out of existence.

I guess I don't see the problem. The issue here most likely WERE her actions and performance rather than her actually starting the union crap.

I can't possibly imagine that she was going about this in a brand manner. If she was talking crap about Target on TV, well, isn't that a brand counselling? At least? Target has an open door policy, and integrity hotline (and, coming from HR, this is very highly regarded), and the "let us know" form. All of these are great ways to deal with issues you are having with the company.

Target isn't perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. I was fixing tm's paygrades for quite a while after I moved to HR, for example.

That being said, Target -does- treat it's employees well. And Target does a LOT to make life easier and healthier for you and your family. But, fyi, you're probably not going to get 40 hours working as a cashier, operator, service desk tm.....so many positions are usually part-time. And on the lower paygrades.

Target is no different than any other place. You can't just come in as a seasonal tm and expect to be able to support your family. You have to work up. And Target (retail) is certainly not for everyone.

I doubt that team member was the only one who got fired. If a union vote came to their store, that means that the leadership team was doing almost everything wrong.

It's no big surprise.
They had to take her out, to make it clear to her coworkers who had the power.
Spot sees unions as a danger above and beyond their brand or even good will with their guests.
Our future is not looking good without the unions.
As the Koch brothers and Citizens United changes the face of politics in the United States as we know it the only people who can fight for the middle class are getting crushed out of existence.
Yeesh, this is incredibly bad taste on corporate's part.

When you are thought of as less evil than your main competitor and you start doing stuff that they did, it affects your brand. (Fun fact, after the donations to the political action comittee in 2010, it cost this company $2 billion in brand value).

Being a tad nicer to your employees pays so much better for businesses in the long run. Long time lurker--first time poster. Thought some of you might be interested in this

http://www.startribune.com/business/127910888.html
This is very well said. Did HR King actually imply that it's a Corrective Action offense up to Termination just for using their American Right of Free Speech to share their opinion about unions? And to imply the "Open Door" policy, Integrity hotline, Let Us Know programs are the same thing as using your 1st Amendment right of the Freedom of Speech to express your opinion about Unionizing Target is ludicrous. That would explain exactly why many would be hesitant to vote to unionize if they knew even discussing Unions can get them fired!

Generally speaking most levels of supervisors and managers in all big business and corporate america is doing most everything wrong.
I guess I don't see the problem. The issue here most likely WERE her actions and performance rather than her actually starting the union crap.

I can't possibly imagine that she was going about this in a brand manner. If she was talking crap about Target on TV, well, isn't that a brand counselling? At least? Target has an open door policy, and integrity hotline (and, coming from HR, this is very highly regarded), and the "let us know" form. All of these are great ways to deal with issues you are having with the company.

Target isn't perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. I was fixing tm's paygrades for quite a while after I moved to HR, for example.

That being said, Target -does- treat it's employees well. And Target does a LOT to make life easier and healthier for you and your family. But, fyi, you're probably not going to get 40 hours working as a cashier, operator, service desk tm.....so many positions are usually part-time. And on the lower paygrades.

Target is no different than any other place. You can't just come in as a seasonal tm and expect to be able to support your family. You have to work up. And Target (retail) is certainly not for everyone.

I doubt that team member was the only one who got fired. If a union vote came to their store, that means that the leadership team was doing almost everything wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back