Archived Food Ave- how do you handle throwing out do much food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have training groaning for food ave food about a week, and every time I feel so guilty for throwing out breadsticks and such after they've been out for twenty minutes because they've been out for twenty minutes. I mean I would QMOS stuff at guest service but it'd be rotten/expired. I serially can't be the only one who feels bad or am I just nuts?

As a PA I think about how much of this could have probably been saved if they actually staffed a grocery department properly, something I have absolutely no control over.

Yep. So much waste. We can't donate a lot of it. I've begun to preemptively donate items I know won't sell. Say we have 12 bags of radishes, four days out from toss date, I'll donate 6 then the others one day prior and have an order coming to replace them.

Our Food Ave people put a lot of that stuff out as samples. Better than throwing it away.

Putting stuff in the breakroom isn't a bad idea. I would discuss it with the AP leader or STL first though. Some frown upon the practice.

aaf_shifty.gif

I know right?? I see so many pizzas, breadsticks heck even popcorn through into the trash it makes me sick. I wish they could give it to the Team members at a discount price but hey rules are rules.....

Same. I feel the same in pfresh. I told them I found a way to decrease qmos but they told no just fill it to the max doesn't matter -. -. I wonder if target cafe will have more toss when their product line changes in October.

I don't brew decaf when I open: it's a complete waste of money. I haven't sold a single cup of that shit since I started...

I barely sell 3 or 4 cups of coffee a week, as it is!

It's popcorn, baybee! POPCORN!!!

I could sell decaf in the morning (half-caffs & retirees) then brew a pot in the last couple of hrs at night.

You put them in the trash bins and then the brand attendant/cart attendant comes by and collects the bags.

Yes it's a huge waste of food, yes it's a huge waste of money, yes it's almost tempting to keep some for yourself, your friends or family, but rules are rules.

Also it's unhealthy, ok.

You put them in the trash bins and then the brand attendant/cart attendant comes by and collects the bags.

Yes it's a huge waste of food, yes it's a huge waste of money, yes it's almost tempting to keep some for yourself, your friends or family, but rules are rules.

Also it's unhealthy, ok.

I liked your post not only for its content, but because your avatar makes me laugh every time.

Pizza hut has a huge amount of loss daily, I hate it but there is nothing we can do about it. For the breadsticks, if you use the cold hold and the toaster oven I can get away with panning more than half the breadstick you need daily. When I run thru a pan I put one in the hothold and the other 2 in the cold hold. I am a V03 level and only need to prep 6 pans daily and 8 on weekends with almost no loss.

Also it's unhealthy, ok.
Rules can be stupid, though. I'll still do it but it's not stopping me from thinking it's sinful and stupid. Also honestly I don't see how it's unhealthy (besides the food itself) considering I cannot find any officially sanctioned time food can be kept out, only temperature.

In our area we had a homeless shelter sued by one of their homeless resident when he ended up with food poisoning. He claimed it was due to donated food. So the grocery store that donated all the hot/cold food and bread/cookies had to stop donating. Very sad.

Same. I feel the same in pfresh. I told them I found a way to decrease qmos but they told no just fill it to the max doesn't matter -. -. I wonder if target cafe will have more toss when their product line changes in October.

Are you perishables assistant

The only QMOS that I've managed to somewhat contain is the bakery table. It's been fairly low. I don't push any more than 2 or 3 naans at a time because they don't ever sell. Same for the danishes. I don't push out a lot of the AF ciabattas or the AF baguettes. I keep everything on basically a permanent 25% TPC.

One thing I find with people who have a problem with throwing out food, they're the ones who find Luke warm orange juice or a TV dinner with frost built up on it on the floor and put that shit back in the cooler.. Or food from the check lanes.. Or in the check lane coke coolers... That shit likely walked around the store for an hour before someone decided they didn't want it

Better safe than sorry

Nope.

Not safe or allowed.

Liability issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back