Archived Food Donation Information Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently became aware of how extensive the food donation program is in Target stores. My store has the basic infrastructure set up but it does not get used mostly because team members are unaware of it and my store hasn't done its job to build a process up for it. So I am asking for any input from anyone who is using the program for information, tips and ideas so I can get it operational in my building. All information donations will greatly be appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is what you're getting at, but I'll give it a shot.

We use a term called "Red Donate (food)" behind guest service. Whenever we need to defect food out that doesn't meet brand standards, its possible we can donate it.

Examples of donatable items:

-Unused, returned consumables that prompt a defect during the return
-Consumables that may be open, but not spoiled (halloween candy is a big one)
-Non brand standards (Squished bread is an example)
-Incomplete packages (Perhaps only 4 fruit cups are in a 6 pack)

Examples of non-donatables:

-Out dated product
-Dented cans
-Cooler/freezer product
-Vendor Pickup items
-Contaminated product (spills etc.)
-Any QMOS items

Furthermore, my knowledge comes strictly from a non-Pfresh GM store. I'm sure someone from a Pfresh environment can add some more.

As far as the process: The items are boxed up, the box is labeled, and our receiving person takes care of it. The program we use is 'Feeding America'.

That's our store's process as I know it.

Yes alexandria thats the program. Ideally Flow, Guest Service, Sales Floor and Backroom team members should all be part of it. You have the basic components of it and workbench has specifics you can read up on. What I'm really wanting from members here are ways you have innovated with it. Unique things that come from store level commitment that drive it and get involvement from your team. All information donations continue to be greatly appreciated. Some karma for ya Alexandria

We use a term called "Red Donate (food)" behind guest service. Whenever we need to defect food out that doesn't meet brand standards, its possible we can donate it.

-Out dated product
-Dented cans
-Cooler/freezer product
-Vendor Pickup items
-Any QMOS items

Furthermore, my knowledge comes strictly from a non-Pfresh GM store. I'm sure someone from a Pfresh environment can add some more.

As far as the process: The items are boxed up, the box is labeled, and our receiving person takes care of it. The program we use is 'Feeding America'.

wow ours is like the exact opposite everything on your non donate list is stuff we donate,except for vendor stuff

We include dented cans so long as they're intact (seal not breached/broken).

-Out dated product
-Dented cans
-Cooler/freezer product
-Vendor Pickup items
-Any QMOS items

You may want to verify that your store is following proper protocol on food donation. I work at a SuperTarget and we donate a significant amount of food on a daily basis. No food that has left the store and been returned is ever donated (that's why the white label says "Toss"). Target can't vouch for the integrity of the product after it's left the building. Dented cans may be donatable but that might depend on who you are partnering with and whether or not they want those items. QMOS'd products may also be donatable, but again that depends on what you are QMOSing and whether or not the recipient wants it. QMOSing in and of itself doesn't mean you can't donate it.

I'm not sure if my store still does this or not, but at least for a little while, we had a large plastic barrel we called the "pig bucket" for food we had QMOS'd but couldn't donate, such as most everything food ave. throws out at night, that a local farmer would pick up and feed to his animals.

You can donate most perishable products, including freezer and cooler products. You should have a poster somewhere in the receiving area that lets you know what you can and cannot donate. We have bins set up in each of the cooler/freezers for donations (after QMOS), and if it's not picked up on a regular basis, we toss it. You can also donate clearance and salvage cooler/freezer product after new planogram sets. I would check with the group that picks up your donations to make sure they can pick the products up.

There is a really good updated list on Workbench for food donations too. We have a print out copy in receiving, all food team leads, flow team lead and backroom team leads have copies too.

You may want to verify that your store is following proper protocol on food donation. I work at a SuperTarget and we donate a significant amount of food on a daily basis. No food that has left the store and been returned is ever donated (that's why the white label says "Toss"). Target can't vouch for the integrity of the product after it's left the building. Dented cans may be donatable but that might depend on who you are partnering with and whether or not they want those items. QMOS'd products may also be donatable, but again that depends on what you are QMOSing and whether or not the recipient wants it. QMOSing in and of itself doesn't mean you can't donate it.

Wise words here.

We donate:
- Pretty much all produce, unless it was contaminated by something else (i.e. poultry juice dripped on it in the QMOS bin)
- Pretty much all cooler/freezer product (unless its vendor or outdated)
- Pretty much all bread (unless it was contaminated)
- Pretty much anything that isn't outdated, or spoiled in some other manner

We don't donate:
- Returns (though we do donate abandons of some freezer product, i.e. frozen veggies)
- Vendor product
- Outdated product (unless it's something that won't make someone ill, i.e. bagged salad is ok to donate)
- Spilled/Seriously damaged product

Ditto to above QMOS'ers. When our pfresh was getting up and running I was QMOSing an insane amount of food, and we donated a lot of it. The food bank people were coming three times a week, and sometimes we would actually fill their car with boxes of food and they would have to leave without some of it.

Of course, we are running a lot leaner now. We have brand labeled donation bins in all the coolers and storage rooms. When I qmos fresh meat (on the sell-by date) I take it to the freezer, and sort it into plastic WACOs according to kinds of meat (poultry, beef, pork, etc). Our back room team lead set up this arrangement for us! That way the meat stays frozen until it is picked up, and we get to feed people who need it! I try to concentrate on meat, if anything, since that is what food banks need most, usually.

After you QMOS, always use a black marker to make the bar code unscannable. If you neglect this, the product could get QMOS'ed twice, or potentially sold/returned again somehow by mistake. Your ETL-AP will be all over you if it doesn't happen!

Ditto to above QMOS'ers. When our pfresh was getting up and running I was QMOSing an insane amount of food, and we donated a lot of it. The food bank people were coming three times a week, and sometimes we would actually fill their car with boxes of food and they would have to leave without some of it.

Of course, we are running a lot leaner now. We have brand labeled donation bins in all the coolers and storage rooms. When I qmos fresh meat (on the sell-by date) I take it to the freezer, and sort it into plastic WACOs according to kinds of meat (poultry, beef, pork, etc). Our back room team lead set up this arrangement for us! That way the meat stays frozen until it is picked up, and we get to feed people who need it! I try to concentrate on meat, if anything, since that is what food banks need most, usually.

After you QMOS, always use a black marker to make the bar code unscannable. If you neglect this, the product could get QMOS'ed twice, or potentially sold/returned again somehow by mistake. Your ETL-AP will be all over you if it doesn't happen!

Ya they recently just set up the meat donation in our store. And I believe on their end they cant accept any product that hasnt been marked out with black marker as well so yes make sure you are marking everything you QMOS very clearly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back