Archived Forced to leave early?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the days last week I shown up for work for AM Flow at 3:30am. Our truck never came so the Logistics ETL asked our team to come in on another day instead. Then he proceeded to send everyone home even though many of us wanted to stay and some couldn't work the new day. I thought the ETL couldn't send people home if scheduled without us volunteering to leave?

Our team leaves early all the time. Its all part of the "business needs". And as previously mentioned it does save payroll.

Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but I thought if you showed up for your shift and got sent home because they didn't need you, you got paid for 3 hours? I could be completely wrong, so please don't take my word for it.

Our team leaves early all the time. Its all part of the "business needs". And as previously mentioned it does save payroll.

Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but I thought if you showed up for your shift and got sent home because they didn't need you, you got paid for 3 hours? I could be completely wrong, so please don't take my word for it.

I thought the same thing, but I think is all depends on what the laws in your state are (and, of course, if the company can get away with doing it).

In our state they have to pay for 3 hours if you show up. Which means if you choose to stay you are gonna get to zone for 3 straight hours. I usually choose to stay since I am up already but that hasn't happened to us in a long time

I thought the same thing, but I think is all depends on what the laws in your state are (and, of course, if the company can get away with doing it).

I don't recall that happening when I was on flow but maybe it doesn't apply in my state. If it did apply I would have to imagine the flow leads would simply have everyone work 3 hours before getting the boot. This prevents you from wasting a portion of that "saved" payroll and if there is no truck it should be plenty of time to get pulls/other projects done.

We get paid for three hours also. Even though there was no truck pulls still had to be pushed. Plus, as Petey said there could be other projects besides zoning for three hours. Many times I've helped with returns and stray merchandise after finishing the truck.

Had you chosen to stay, you would have gotten to zone for 3 hours and not been scheduled for the other truck. You chose to comply and leave instead. Good choice.

My store cut hours today, calling people and asking if they wanted to stay home. Begging all the TMs that were already working, it was kind of ridiculous, but, I guess that what vacation time is really for!!

It is wrong to make people use vacation time to fill in for cuts in their hours. That is exactly the kind of treatment that drives people to organize. To suggest that the smart thing was to leave after coming in rather then to work at least the three hours they owe you is also kind of sad. This company has an obligation to treat it's employees with dignity and respect not like the Wav or Crown that can be stuffed in the corner when it isn't needed.

My STL cut my teams hours yesterday too. Told me on Thursday afternoon, as I am just about walking out the door..."why do you have so many TM's on Friday"? ...cuz, that's what you gave us for the schedule...."I need two people cut"....wow, really? So, at home, I have to text to find out if anyone wants the day off...only one does, and then I give up my hours. Twelve hours cut, on a Friday, for the plano team. what a pity!

It is wrong to make people use vacation time to fill in for cuts in their hours. That is exactly the kind of treatment that drives people to organize. To suggest that the smart thing was to leave after coming in rather then to work at least the three hours they owe you is also kind of sad. This company has an obligation to treat it's employees with dignity and respect not like the Wav or Crown that can be stuffed in the corner when it isn't needed.

Very well said, Commie. At first when my hours were being cut I used some of my vacation time. That didn't last long, cause I didn't want to use what I had saved. Another TM told me we could file for partial unemployment if we normally were getting more hours. Don't know how this works and it's probably different from one state to another. I didn't want to stand in line and go through all the hassle.

Isn't it was illegal for them to force you to leave before your shift is over?(besides in cases of emergencies of course)

Isn't it was illegal for them to force you to leave before your shift is over?(besides in cases of emergencies of course)

Management can ask you to leave early, and being willing to adjust to their needs can work in your favor later on. But under federal employment law, they must allow you to work your scheduled shift if that's what you decide you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back