Archived Forcing Team Members to sit in the break-room on their 30 minute break?

Status
Not open for further replies.

obx

Has anyone heard of this?? Instead of in Target Ca`fe?? Can they really do that?

I've only heard of no Starbucks and no clerical, but some stores only have one seating area for SB and FA, so I don't know about them.

I thought it'd be more of a matter of working on break. Some guests don't get the hint that a worker sitting in a cafe and eating means you shouldn't ask them where the damn market is.

Just bring a non-red shirt to work, problem solved.

This has been the company policy for many years but it hasn't been enforced. I heard a few days ago that as of the 26th of this month it will be enforced for ALL team members. No more sitting at Sbuck or Target Cafe. Apparently we're all to sit in the break room. A few years ago we went through this but it didn't last long.

Edited to add: Supposedly this applies to 15 minute breaks as well as meal periods.

Last edited:
I wonder if they will get more Tables/Chairs?

My store has always said/enforced that. They wont make a big deal about one team member sitting quietly in the corner at Starbucks CLEARLY on break, BUT when there's a few team members socializing.... it just doesn't look good.

I always bring a hoodie (lightweight for the warm days and heavier for cooler days) that I toss on over my red and khaki. I've only had one guest in five years not get the hint that I was off the clock. On the other hand, I usually utilize the break room when sitting down (though it's been pretty filthy as of late).

My opinion, cleaning the breakroom should be part of the nightly zone. No one clocks out until the breakroom is clean. Bet it wouldn't take more than 5 minutes....

I think the cleaning crew cleans the refrigerator and floors of the break room. But the team members are assigned to clean the tables and microwaves twice a day based on work centers. Needless to say the microwaves are always nasty.

we got a big email about it today from the stl no more sitting in cafe or starbucks we are suppose to coach anyone we see doing it.

This is something you find done in some stores. The company has no policy on it. Of course once you off the clock on your 30 nobody can tell you where you can and can not go.

This, I guess doesn't apply at my store. I see TM's playing video games or socializing at FA. But I'm guessing this only should really apply to the 15 min break? I know I wouldn't stand getting a coaching for doing this on my 30 min lunch.

No one is forcing TMs stay in the breakroom. Its discouraged to be sitting in Food Ave/Starbucks as a crowd of TMs can look bad and it intended use is for the guests. You can go outside or shop the store (I would suggest wearing a jacket or another shirt).

Last edited:
meh. I don't think sitting at sb/fa looks nearly as bad as tm hanging around the benches smoking next to the entrance (our tm entrance is a stone's throw from the main entrances). it looks trashy with all the cig butts (and trash), and tm in various forms of communication (both verbal and physical). I wouldn't make an issue of it unless there were so many tms it was an issue for guests getting a seat.

At my store, we're not supposed to sit in Starbucks, but no one really says anything. Sometimes I'll sit in there if I want a break but want to stay close to the front end.

Are you allowed to get Starbucks drink or cafe food for your break and drink and eat it in the breakroom? :)

I have never heard of, thou I'm not that deep in the circle of gossipers, people getting written up for not staying in the break room on break. If it does happen, and they ask team members why they are doing it, they don't understand the social culture of the team (Overnight in this case).

I'm sure there are stores like this where people break off into cliques and don't socialize or interact with other team members. Mine is so bad that I've seen people actually use the dressing rooms to hang out or they even sit near one of the entrances. Some of that largely has to do with the fact that alot of team members start out friends with each other (supposedly) and then after they get to know them they develop a deep-disgust for that person (or group of individuals).

As far as I am aware we arn't technically allowed to sit in the Starbucks area as that is for the guests. They are pretty lenient with that at our store since our break is at 8AM and the only people around there are the ones grabbing their coffee on their way to work, so its empty. Some people go to their cars, some sit in the breakroom and some sit outside and smoke or whatever. No break crackdowns yet.

I think the cleaning crew cleans the refrigerator and floors of the break room. But the team members are assigned to clean the tables and microwaves twice a day based on work centers. Needless to say the microwaves are always nasty.

Try to get a few of those splatter cover things requisitioned. They won't totally fix the issue, but it will make a cleanup a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back