Archived Fox News with more lies...a PAID advertisement by Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a freakin' JOKE!
Especially the part about "working your way up to manager"! ROFLMAO

Always knew that FOX had no credability...

*credibility

I was seasonal hire a year ago in early December promoted to TL in May and I'm in the interview process for a Sr. position at the moment.

If you cant get what you want from your current store try transferring, new management might see you in a different light. ;)

*credibility

I was seasonal hire a year ago in early December promoted to TL in May and I'm in the interview process for a Sr. position at the moment.

If you cant get what you want from your current store try transferring, new management might see you in a different light. ;)

I started as a part-time seasonal too... Now I am a TL who is prepping for ETL interviews :p It is possible to promote from within, you just have to realize that you can't change other people (management) but you can change yourself enough to earn their support! Its not easy and you have to sacrifice your own pride at times to do it, but in the long run I am the better leader because I got my results the way I wanted and everybody at the end of the day supported the decision!

I started as a part-time seasonal too... Now I am a TL who is prepping for ETL interviews :p It is possible to promote from within, you just have to realize that you can't change other people (management) but you can change yourself enough to earn their support! Its not easy and you have to sacrifice your own pride at times to do it, but in the long run I am the better leader because I got my results the way I wanted and everybody at the end of the day supported the decision!

There's a limit to how much an employee can sacrifice their "own pride" before they have no pride left at all. No pride in their jobs or themselves.

What a freakin' JOKE!
Especially the part about "working your way up to manager"! ROFLMAO

Always knew that FOX had no credability...

All the salesfloor TLs at my store (and there are a lot) were TMs before. .

A TL isn't really a manager.
More of an assistant manager, straw boss, or overseer.
They are still hourly.
And yes, they come off the floor.

But very, very (adding a bunch more verys) few ETL's come off the floor and the ones who do fit a certain mold.

My favorite laugh is the statistic that 30% of all seasonal hires from 2011 are now Full Time. By January Target is going to be cut seasonal hires and cutting payroll to skeleton crews.

BuliSBI, where did you hear that? All I heard in that was that they were intending on keeping 30% of their seasonal staff.

Last edited:

You are forgetting that the vast majority of TMs do not have a degree. You were likely fast tracked from TM to TL to ETL. For most TMs, ETL is not possible for them ever.

A TL is *not a manager*. I know, I was one. The correct term is "supervisor" - and even that is stretching it. Most TLs at most stores do not even have the ability to approve a time off request. A manager would be able to do that.

BuliSBI, where did you hear that? All I heard in that was that they were intending on keeping 30% of their seasonal staff.
The graphic with the stat pops up right at 1:00 at the bottom of the video.

You are forgetting that the vast majority of TMs do not have a degree. You were likely fast tracked from TM to TL to ETL. For most TMs, ETL is not possible for them ever.
Target used to be they would push anyone into TL or ETL positions with a college degree. I was one TM with a degree in Mass Communications, and I had high hopes from my first set of ETLs wanting me and guiding me to become TL. Then when store leadership and the Corp philosophy totally changed, my ETLs wouldn't even give me the time of day. They said my degree was toilet paper at the store level of Target. They wanted people with Business degrees.

A TL is *not a manager*. I know, I was one. The correct term is "supervisor" - and even that is stretching it. Most TLs at most stores do not even have the ability to approve a time off request. A manager would be able to do that.

I was going to say this. Check out the "synonymous terms" on the careers page. I believe ETL = assistant manager.

The graphic with the stat pops up right at 1:00 at the bottom of the video.

Target used to be they would push anyone into TL or ETL positions with a college degree. I was one TM with a degree in Mass Communications, and I had high hopes from my first set of ETLs wanting me and guiding me to become TL. Then when store leadership and the Corp philosophy totally changed, my ETLs wouldn't even give me the time of day. They said my degree was toilet paper at the store level of Target. They wanted people with Business degrees.

Was your degree from University of Phoenix, Devry, or some other online school?

I think they meant full time as in kept on after the seasonal period. nobody gets full time hours except tls and some specialty areas. 98% of the seasonal peeps at my store suck and were not keeping many!

Most of our BRTMs get 40, not sure about other departments. None of our TLs were TMs. Maybe one. I think one ETL worked her way up, but I'm pretty sure spot has been her only employer.

Get cross trained in alot of areas be friendly and helpful to tls and hr and you can easily get 35 hhrs for 3/4 of the month.

Exceptions to that is when hrs are extremely tight and the store is simply not busy

SOT, maybe if Spot would let you come back you would see that much more is expected of Team Leads now. Our team leads create their workcenter schedules, APPROVE time off, run huddles, do LOD shifts, answer any guest complaints and resolve issues, and MANAGE their business. Yes, I said MANAGE. They are managers. Maybe you were just a poor one....

SOT, maybe if Spot would let you come back you would see that much more is expected of Team Leads now. Our team leads create their workcenter schedules, APPROVE time off, run huddles, do LOD shifts, answer any guest complaints and resolve issues, and MANAGE their business. Yes, I said MANAGE. They are managers. Maybe you were just a poor one....

Lol, I haven't been gone that long. Things haven't changed that much.

Guess what? It is at stores discretion how much "authority" they give a TL. If you had been with the company more than a short time, you would know that damn near every HR form (time off requests, punch correction forms, etc.) used to have a spot that said "TL or ETL Signature". Those forms are gone now, so you wouldn't know that.... but they said that for years. Most stores, however, banned TLs from signing them. Very few stores allowed it. Maybe yours is one. In that case, good for you. Just realize most stores don't allow it.

FYI - the schedule is not a management function. It's a clerical job. Most companies have administrative assistants do the schedule. Also, no one "runs" the huddle. Get real dude. That's a cheap novelty my store used to let TMs do to let them feel special. You are the "manager" of the huddle LOL. Having to use that as an example just further drives home the point - as TLs, we were not given authority over anything major.

Also - "resolving guest complaints" is not a freaking management function either. A GSA (regular TM) can handle that. Also, no one wants to deal with that anyway. "Resolving guest complaints" is more of a punishment than anything else because once a TL is needed you get to see just how weak you really are.... a guest basically reams you up the ass. Again, just goes to show that TLs are given "token authority" over bull sh**.

I am curious - how many people here are from stores that allow TLs to do everything TheManInRed says his store lets people do? How many TLs approve time off requests at your store? How many TLs can do a corrective action (write up) without an ETL's signature on the form? How many TLs can make the final decision to hire/fire someone? How many TLs are placed in a position that allows them to control the whole store? How many TLs are even trusted with a key? Hell, most TLs can't even be trusted with GSTL keys at most stores. And here is the real question. How many TLs spend most of their day doing the zone, working stray, setting end caps, or other tasks that TMs do? About 99% of TLs spend most of their time doing that. Now, how many ETLs spend most of their time doing that? Maybe about 5% at best. Sounds like a "manager" to me....

In fact, if you had been with the company for the last several years, you would know that TLs have actually been stripped of more and more of their power little by little each year.

Last edited:
My TLs approve all schedule requests and punch corrections. But my store may be a bad example because I'm not sure we have any TLs left that aren't SrTL/LOD besides the GSTL and AP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back