Archived Fox News with more lies...a PAID advertisement by Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
My TLs approve all schedule requests and punch corrections. But my store may be a bad example because I'm not sure we have any TLs left that aren't SrTL/LOD besides the GSTL and AP.

This is my point, all Team Leads at my store are Sr.TL/LOD except for GSTL. So the expectations have been raised for team leads. I'm not going to divulge how long I have been with the company, but it has been long enough to see a real shift in responsibility to Team Leads over the past year.

Lol, I haven't been gone that long. Things haven't changed that much.

Guess what? It is at stores discretion how much "authority" they give a TL. If you had been with the company more than a short time, you would know that damn near every HR form (time off requests, punch correction forms, etc.) used to have a spot that said "TL or ETL Signature". Those forms are gone now, so you wouldn't know that.... but they said that for years. Most stores, however, banned TLs from signing them. Very few stores allowed it. Maybe yours is one. In that case, good for you. Just realize most stores don't allow it.

FYI - the schedule is not a management function. It's a clerical job. Most companies have administrative assistants do the schedule. Also, no one "runs" the huddle. Get real dude. That's a cheap novelty my store used to let TMs do to let them feel special. You are the "manager" of the huddle LOL. Having to use that as an example just further drives home the point - as TLs, we were not given authority over anything major.

Also - "resolving guest complaints" is not a freaking management function either. A GSA (regular TM) can handle that. Also, no one wants to deal with that anyway. "Resolving guest complaints" is more of a punishment than anything else because once a TL is needed you get to see just how weak you really are.... a guest basically reams you up the ass. Again, just goes to show that TLs are given "token authority" over bull sh**.

I am curious - how many people here are from stores that allow TLs to do everything TheManInRed says his store lets people do? How many TLs approve time off requests at your store? How many TLs can do a corrective action (write up) without an ETL's signature on the form? How many TLs can make the final decision to hire/fire someone? How many TLs are placed in a position that allows them to control the whole store? How many TLs are even trusted with a key? Hell, most TLs can't even be trusted with GSTL keys at most stores. And here is the real question. How many TLs spend most of their day doing the zone, working stray, setting end caps, or other tasks that TMs do? About 99% of TLs spend most of their time doing that. Now, how many ETLs spend most of their time doing that? Maybe about 5% at best. Sounds like a "manager" to me....

In fact, if you had been with the company for the last several years, you would know that TLs have actually been stripped of more and more of their power little by little each year.

Perhaps KEYING the schedule is a clerical job, but knowing what people you need on any given day during any time based on the needs of the business is MANAGING your team.

i thought time off requests went directly to the etl in charge via email under the max self service system? there is no tl in our building that gets them.

i thought time off requests went directly to the etl in charge via email under the max self service system? there is no tl in our building that gets them.

Yes, that is how it works. No TL is approving time off requests. The guy who said that is full of it, or doesn't even know how it works because he isn't a TL.

Lots of TLs want to convince themselves they are more than they are. They want to go around and feel good about themselves while thinking they are a "manager", but they really aren't. I'm not saying I am perfect. The first year I promoted to TL I thought the same way. "Oh look at me! I'm in charge!" After about a year, I realized I was no better than any other TM and I certainly was not a "manager". TLs at my store had so little authority it was pathetic, and I actually felt embarrassed that I was so self diluted that I convinced myself I was a manager.

Close...its a state university degree..so its fluffy type toilet paper. But I don't care now, I now work in a better field.

WTF are you talking about? If you have a degree from a state university that is something to be proud of. Unlike online schools, they don't just hand those out. Stop being so down on yourself. There are tons of people in the world who wish they had what you have. Even if you don't realize it, that degree will open doors for you.... maybe you just haven't put it to good use yet. It is definitely not toilet paper.

I don't do any schedules, but the TLs that do them at my store receive the time off requests. Its a little confusing sometimes b/c the ETL does as well. I'm not sure how the system knows who to send the requests to and who not to, to be honest with you. I never questioned it.

Yes, that is how it works. No TL is approving time off requests. The guy who said that is full of it, or doesn't even know how it works because he isn't a TL.

Lots of TLs want to convince themselves they are more than they are. They want to go around and feel good about themselves while thinking they are a "manager", but they really aren't. I'm not saying I am perfect. The first year I promoted to TL I thought the same way. "Oh look at me! I'm in charge!" After about a year, I realized I was no better than any other TM and I certainly was not a "manager". TLs at my store had so little authority it was pathetic, and I actually felt embarrassed that I was so self diluted that I convinced myself I was a manager.

I may, or may not be a TL, but I will tell you this. I am still working for the company you came crawling back to after you got canned from Sony, which puts me a step above you no matter what my position is. :spiteful:

...and ANYBODY'S circumstances can change in the blink of an eye.

Point being, you can prepare for almost anything but you can never prepare for everything.
Sh*t happens to the best (& worst) of us.

I am not full of it and I happen to know my GSTLs names and their ranks in the life of Spot. I get back approvals or denials for requests for times off in max and they come back either from a SrTL or my GSTL who is not a SrTL. The name is in the return message. I seriously doubt someone is logging in as my GSTL to approve requests. So yes, TLs are approving time off. In fact, when I switched my availability, that was approved by the GSTL.

Apparently things have changed since the last time you worked in a store. So don't go tell us we are wrong when you clearly no longer have up to date information.

not a single TL or higher at my store has started at target lower then TL. In fact, 2 of my senior team leads started at target around the same time I started as a sales floor team member.

I don't do any schedules, but the TLs that do them at my store receive the time off requests. Its a little confusing sometimes b/c the ETL does as well. I'm not sure how the system knows who to send the requests to and who not to, to be honest with you. I never questioned it.

The ETL-HR can make any ETL/TL an "approver" in MAX... so yes TLs can accept/deny new availabilities and time off requests, some people's stores must just to grant access to any TLs?

I think that some posters views are skewed because of their stores volume and culture as well... Some TLs in my store I would consider supervisors and not managers! They do little decision making within their area, they focus on the "immediate" (basically only worrying about what is going on during their shifts, and if it happens when they aren't working its not their problem), and don't really focus on managing talent! Instead they supervise their team, coach only if needed, and spend most of their time on tasks! At the same time there are TLs who actually do own their business! A Dayside Logistics Leader who answers to overnight ETLs will own his business, do most of the scheduling, hiring, coaching, training etc... for his area and make major decisions on his own and the ETLs stay out of his business!

Actually, my last time off request was approved by one of our GSTLs (he is a srtl) so they can do it. I don't know about just regular tls though.

WTF are you talking about? If you have a degree from a state university that is something to be proud of. Unlike online schools, they don't just hand those out. Stop being so down on yourself. There are tons of people in the world who wish they had what you have. Even if you don't realize it, that degree will open doors for you.... maybe you just haven't put it to good use yet. It is definitely not toilet paper.
I was just joking SoT. I am proud I got it.

But I do love making fun of my old school just like I do with Target. They condemned a dorm due to mold and a sink hole but only to offer no relocation aid to the affected students. And the school ended up re-classifying the building as offices for TAs so they wouldn't have to demolish the building.

And they give up over half of student parking for 2 weeks during the peak of classes so the school can host a high school basketball tournament. And still issue tickets for students having to park on grass or outside normal parking areas.

Lol, I haven't been gone that long. Things haven't changed that much.

Guess what? It is at stores discretion how much "authority" they give a TL. If you had been with the company more than a short time, you would know that damn near every HR form (time off requests, punch correction forms, etc.) used to have a spot that said "TL or ETL Signature". Those forms are gone now, so you wouldn't know that.... but they said that for years. Most stores, however, banned TLs from signing them. Very few stores allowed it. Maybe yours is one. In that case, good for you. Just realize most stores don't allow it.

FYI - the schedule is not a management function. It's a clerical job. Most companies have administrative assistants do the schedule. Also, no one "runs" the huddle. Get real dude. That's a cheap novelty my store used to let TMs do to let them feel special. You are the "manager" of the huddle LOL. Having to use that as an example just further drives home the point - as TLs, we were not given authority over anything major.

Also - "resolving guest complaints" is not a freaking management function either. A GSA (regular TM) can handle that. Also, no one wants to deal with that anyway. "Resolving guest complaints" is more of a punishment than anything else because once a TL is needed you get to see just how weak you really are.... a guest basically reams you up the ass. Again, just goes to show that TLs are given "token authority" over bull sh**.

I am curious - how many people here are from stores that allow TLs to do everything TheManInRed says his store lets people do? How many TLs approve time off requests at your store? How many TLs can do a corrective action (write up) without an ETL's signature on the form? How many TLs can make the final decision to hire/fire someone? How many TLs are placed in a position that allows them to control the whole store? How many TLs are even trusted with a key? Hell, most TLs can't even be trusted with GSTL keys at most stores. And here is the real question. How many TLs spend most of their day doing the zone, working stray, setting end caps, or other tasks that TMs do? About 99% of TLs spend most of their time doing that. Now, how many ETLs spend most of their time doing that? Maybe about 5% at best. Sounds like a "manager" to me....

In fact, if you had been with the company for the last several years, you would know that TLs have actually been stripped of more and more of their power little by little each year.

Usually my store would have the LOD approve time off requests, but the LOD would often talk to the TLs of the department that the time off request came from in order to see if it was going to work out in terms of scheduling. TLs in my store would do their own schedule, because they know what's best in terms of the day to day operations of the store.

Time off request/Punch correction forms still exist, and they still say ETL/TL signature. You can search time off request or punch correction form on workbench, it's the first result. Paper punch correction forms still exist in case of technical difficulties, or if a team member doesn't have numbers yet (e.g., orientation). Time off request paper forms exist for technical difficulties or sick time, which some states let TMs accrue. You can't ask for sick time on EHR, only on the paper form.

I can't speak to the rest of your comments, being a former HRTM.

Actually, my last time off request was approved by one of our GSTLs (he is a srtl) so they can do it. I don't know about just regular tls though.

I had a time off request approved by a GSTL once. Every other request I've submitted has been approved by my ETLs-GE (I've had 3 since I started).

I don't think our ETLs get involved in time off requests. They probably figure those directly at the head of the department have a better idea what is going on.

What a freakin' JOKE!
Especially the part about "working your way up to manager"! ROFLMAO

Always knew that FOX had no credability...

Before I even read your comment I was in the middle of drinking some iced tea. The moment I heard that line about half of it went down the wrong tube. Had a nice laugh/coughing session. Management! Hahaha! Sure, "the doors will just open right up if ya come here!"

This isn't the typical career progression. Normally you start out as, let's say, pay grade 3, then work your way up to 5, 7, 9, and finally become eligible to apply for a TL PG 11 position. Many times that process can take YEARS even over a DECADE (if ever!) to accomplish!
*credibility

I was seasonal hire a year ago in early December promoted to TL in May and I'm in the interview process for a Sr. position at the moment.

If you cant get what you want from your current store try transferring, new management might see you in a different light. ;)

Very well said, this is a HUGE problem with Big Business and Corporate America. Depending on who your supervisor or manager is, you might feel put down or degraded to the point of not having any self worth left. Unionizing is the only way to get fair treatment for all.
I started as a part-time seasonal too... Now I am a TL who is prepping for ETL interviews :p It is possible to promote from within, you just have to realize that you can't change other people (management) but you can change yourself enough to earn their support! Its not easy and you have to sacrifice your own pride at times to do it, but in the long run I am the better leader because I got my results the way I wanted and everybody at the end of the day supported the decision!

There's a limit to how much an employee can sacrifice their "own pride" before they have no pride left at all. No pride in their jobs or themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back