Archived From a company who is dead (Vibe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that video when I worked for them (not my training video) and thought it was hilarious. The sane way I felt when seeing the "Vibe" training video. The vibe would definitely feel better if we connected with our communities better.

Is there anywhere I can work or shop without having to make people buy stuff that they don't need?

Is there anywhere I can work or shop without having to make people buy stuff that they don't need?

Oh, but didn't you hear? They DO need it, they just don't know it. They've been giving you clues the entire time!
:facepalm:

Can I say right now that I loathe "Can I help you find something?" mostly because it makes us all sound like robots? Guests are not stupid. They hear the exact same phrase several times during their stay and it kind of clues them in that we are being forced to ask that rather than it being a genuine inquiry and offer to help. When I go out shopping, I tend to avoid stores with the Stepford Wives and Husbands working there. One store rankled me so much with the robotic helpfulness that I quit going after the first visit. Others must have felt the same way because within one year they went bankrupt.

It's everywhere now.
You can see it as soon as you walk into a store.

The initial laser spotting.
The regretful gleen.
The b-line halfway across the store to where you're standing.
"Can I help you with anything?"

Can I say right now that I loathe "Can I help you find something?" mostly because it makes us all sound like robots? Guests are not stupid. They hear the exact same phrase several times during their stay and it kind of clues them in that we are being forced to ask that rather than it being a genuine inquiry and offer to help. When I go out shopping, I tend to avoid stores with the Stepford Wives and Husbands working there. One store rankled me so much with the robotic helpfulness that I quit going after the first visit. Others must have felt the same way because within one year they went bankrupt.

So don't use that phrase? I rarely do. I was even told that I didn't have to. It was only invented for the high school drop outs that need their hand held on every issue and otherwise wouldn't be able to rationally form a sentence inquiring if a customer needs help. Seriously, coworkers that always use that phrase get on my nerves.

So don't use that phrase? I rarely do. I was even told that I didn't have to. It was only invented for the high school drop outs that need their hand held on every issue and otherwise wouldn't be able to rationally form a sentence inquiring if a customer needs help. Seriously, coworkers that always use that phrase get on my nerves.

I concur. I hardly use CIHYFS. But I definitely don't ignore guests. I approach in a way that seems more genuine, like "Hi, doing okay over here?". Just something that sounds.. human? Hah.

I concur. I hardly use CIHYFS. But I definitely don't ignore guests. I approach in a way that seems more genuine, like "Hi, doing okay over here?". Just something that sounds.. human? Hah.

When this first started and for many a store huddle after that we were instructed to use that exact phrase and no other as anything else was not brand.

Can I come work at your store? So tired of CIHYFS for which every smart-alec answer is "I don't know...can you?"
:wink2:

I kind of twisted it around.
I ask is there anything I can help you with/find.

To me it sounds more genuine.

I kind of twisted it around.
I ask is there anything I can help you with/find.

To me it sounds more genuine.

That does sound better. Our store doesn't demand the exact phrase. What they want is interaction with the guests. But they are getting a bit over the top with the red card conversion like most of the stores. We've been instructed to interact with the guest, find out what they're buying, and then sell that red card! Um... what about the other tasks on our workload? "Sry, DTL, VAs are not done for this month due to the fact that I was asked to follow people around the store, find out what they were buying, and sell that red card!" Okay, so maybe they didn't mean to be so creepy about it but it sure sounded that way.

My store is pushing the redcards but not the creeply yet.

We are instructed to talk about on the floor with guests, but I'm not going to when a guest asks me to find a $4.00 item.

You're buying a grill?
Sure.
A tv?
Sure.
Tampons?
Yeah, no.

Going on a tangent here, but I miss Blockbuster. It was always an experence checking out aisle after aisle of tapes, picking out what you want... I can almost feel the plastic sleve of the paper holder in my hands right now.

Of course, one can compare that to hitting a few buttons on a PS3 controller or tapping your phone or tablet a few times and BAM instant movie. But when do you think physical media will disappear? When will the movies and music section from Target be no more? On Amazon Instant Video, you can rent a movie for $4 or buy for $20 but the buying seems so foreign to me as it's not physically there. I rather pay $20 for a hard copy. I would say in 10 year min space for physical media in stores will be greatly reduced as I feel my generation is still attached to it.

Going on a tangent here, but I miss Blockbuster. It was always an experence checking out aisle after aisle of tapes, picking out what you want... I can almost feel the plastic sleve of the paper holder in my hands right now.

Of course, one can compare that to hitting a few buttons on a PS3 controller or tapping your phone or tablet a few times and BAM instant movie. But when do you think physical media will disappear? When will the movies and music section from Target be no more? On Amazon Instant Video, you can rent a movie for $4 or buy for $20 but the buying seems so foreign to me as it's not physically there. I rather pay $20 for a hard copy. I would say in 10 year min space for physical media in stores will be greatly reduced as I feel my generation is still attached to it.

Dread the day physical books, movies, and music are gone. Can't imagine having to trust some unseen cloud to hold my media. Bad enough so many official records are only available online. One malicious pulse, hacker organization, or mega virus and....poof.

X-Files: Trust no one....

You it's funny.
My hubby purchased a Kindle for me because I'm a lover of books. I bring it to work a lot of times, but every so often I'll bring an actual book in.

Everyone always asks:
"I thought you had a Kindle? Why are you reading that?"

Just because I have a Kindle doesn't mean I still don't want an actual book to read.

The Kindle is great to travel with, but books are something I will never give up.

There's something about the heft of a good, hard-bound book; the feel of the pages; closing it with a satisfying snap that a kindle/nook/insert electronic gadget here simply doesn't have.
Plus you never have to worry about a battery dying on a book.

Vinyl records are the only physical media that I can think of that will be around for a while. I don't know if we'll sell them though. (Well, more of them if you count those t-shirt bundles.)

Vinyl records are the only physical media that I can think of that will be around for a while. I don't know if we'll sell them though. (Well, more of them if you count those t-shirt bundles.)

My *old* store never sold vinyl records but it did sell radios, ect. that were capable of playing them.

We started selling them with the turntables on an endcap.
It was pretty much all the old classic rock stuff Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back