Archived Front End Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the store I work at hasn't done it's front end mod where other areas have started. Without GSA's and being an open and mid SETL's who controls the lanes... I know we are all supposed too be in charge of ourselves basically, is it true that the SCO controls the lanes when SETL's are not present? Hows it going for those of you whose front end's are in mod... just curious how this is all working out. Also we've had 7 people apply for the SETL and not one of them have made it passed the second interview.

We have started with the front end op model at my store as of a couple weeks ago and it seems to be going ok. Former GSAs are scheduled to open and close self checkout or guest service so that they can bank the lanes and close them but I have been trying to teach cashiers to close the lanes as well. If there is no former GSA scheduled to open, the opening “LOD” banks the lanes.

I have also been pretty successful teaching cashiers how to use the GSTL keys to get change and they haven’t gotten lost yet. They are pretty self sufficient

My store is not 100% following the new op model - only a select few is getting trained on opening/closing but most of them are staying where they are. If they were guest service, they will be expected to hold it down there.

We have not switched over to the new OP model. I will say for the most part our cashiers are not well trained and we no longer have any former GSA's. Those of us who are well trained are picking up the slack and are feeling the pain.

Almost like my store, but we still have 2 part time GSAs. Those of us trained are feeling the pain and resentment, and under appreciated.

I have to say my ETL/Leader/whatever and my SD have made me feel appreciated, because I'm doing the heavy lifting with training. (I love to train, but I am sosotired, I'm crawling.)

I'm also handing over my keys and asking people what they think they should do when I answer a blinker. I remind them that soon, they won't have me to make that call and they'll have to make a good one. I wait for their answer and course-correct as necessary, because I keep telling them that when those three little letters finally go away in my store for good, I'm not going to be their fallback position. They need to own it.

(And yes, we're behind. I know.)

I like it, but our Former GSAs aren't working SCO as expected, still standing around too much, and the guests are paying the price. Lines are long.

It's aggravating me. Get with the program, get on a lane, and clear out the backup.

As for the other tasks, it's ok. Just basic stuff to do opening and closing.

I like it, but our Former GSAs aren't working SCO as expected, still standing around too much, and the guests are paying the price. Lines are long.

It's aggravating me. Get with the program, get on a lane, and clear out the backup.

As for the other tasks, it's ok. Just basic stuff to do opening and closing.
This is a leadership issue if they are not addressing the loafers. I know it would piss me off to see them standing around talking.

Target lost a top performing SETL (me) due to this new op model.. I refuse to work solely mid shifts. Sure I was making over $20 an hour,loved my job and was a tenured, respected SETL.. it just wasn’t worth the lack of work life balance.

In addition, some changes were implemented for months before a time my former store (No GSAs, sco grabbing change) and it was doable but also a train wreck.

Now I have a much better job with much higher pay (non management, set schedule, overtime as well, stellar out of this world benefits), however, they’re talking about wanting to promote me to management already due to my experience and high performing caliber.. strongly considering it.

Keep in mind I am only 21 and have a whole life ahead of me.. Target wasn’t something I wanted forever.

Last edited:
This is a leadership issue if they are not addressing the loafers. I know it would piss me off to see them standing around talking.
It will happen because sales floor is actively resisting helping with backups. They were told we wouldn't need as much help.

That's correct, but the key is that former GSAs must be actively assisting at sco or lane.

It's slightly frustrating where I am at. There are some people who while working SCO, are just oblivious or uncomfortable with calling for backup. I don't understand how they can expect whoever on SCO to be able to get change. It is far enough away that people could steal with the going back and forth. If we seem to have enough on lanes or call for back up, I will turn off my light and get change for whoever needs it. I work mostly evening/closing shifts though, so maybe it is handled better during the day with the GSTL's that are still there....

According to the schedule I am now a checkout advocate, as if guest advocate wasn't bad enough.

I'm now scheduled as a service advocate. Does that mean I get training on service desk stuff, I asked? Noooooooo......just keep picking OPUs. We can't pull you from there to train you I was told. OK, I'll just keep standing at the desk telling guests I can't help them when I'm not busy. That works for me.

Last edited:
the front end has the following workcenters:

Front of Store Attendant
-cart attendants, nothing new

Checkout Advocate
-guest advocates who are scheduled at the checklanes and self-checkout. recommended to schedule newer guest advocates here before training them on the "service" stuff.

Service Advocate
-guest advocates who are scheduled at the guest service desk, order pickup, and drive up.

note that everyone is still a guest advocate and will still be expected to be able to work fluidly across the entire front end, it's just for scheduling purposes that guest advocate is split into two jobs.

Service and Engagement TL
-SETLs. schedule a non-minor TM when SETL isn't in the building.

We are crosstraining fast. If you are assigned to open, then you work SCO, run the breaks, get change, etc.

I personally love the new model. The former gsas are now actively working.

Slowly they are adjusting to doing more that gossiping about the rest of us.

I'm all about variety. I like cashiering, sco, gs, open/close.....but I used to be put on one spot for months. Deadly boring.

This is great. Plus, I can't stand backstabbing systems. This new model is much more egalitarian and based on true merit.

My store is swinging in motion with mod. According to the SETLs, they’re planning on having everyone in the Front Ends department to be crosstrained for Guest Services and to open and close Front Ends. So far, three people have been trained on how to open and close (I was supposed to be next on the list but I’ll be crosstrained after I return from my very soon medical LOA).

Almost all of the former GSAs are leaving. Some are looking for new jobs, others are trying to transfer over to another work center. Only one former GSA got promoted to be a SETL.

I’ll see how everything is going once I recover and come back

Are you guys having everyone including SETLs fill out the Stay Sharp Status forms every shift? How do you manage to get them filled out if, like me, you need the person to cover a break as soon as they clock in? Also, what do you do with all the forms they give you at the end of their shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back