Archived Front end

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why it isn't part of the GSA/GSTL training, but I think whoever is going to be running the front should be required to spend at least a few shifts as a sales floor tm. When they are being asked by the LOD why they aren't finished pushing CAFS, doing reshop, zoning, etc..and the front has called for backup or help with carts all day long they will get a different viewpoint. I am a GSA now, but I am very glad to have spent some time in softlines and I realize the need to keep backup requests to the absolute minimum. However, sales floor people should also realize there's something about a mob of ticked off guests staring at you wanting you to magically make it better.

Forgot to add that I also make full use of everyone up front before I call for backup, sending guests with smaller orders to check out at guest service, cafe, even starbucks if they have the time.

Last edited:
So is the rule you're suppose to call backup if more than one guest is waiting? We usually get called up if there like 2 or 3 waiting...but it also depends who the GSA is.

I never disrespected the cashiers, don't take it personal. Here's my whole issue, at my store. Your store may be different, etc.

Without giving away too much detail about my store, we are an A or B, and we get a lot of foot traffic. At my store we are scheduled in hardlines with 1 mid and 2 closers. Those three people have to push anything that's on the line (CAFs, research, challenge, etc), complete all reshop, and zone the store. Now, we also have to do any PTM work, PCV twice a day, set any sales planners we have, help out other teams, push the market truck, etc. Other teams do not answer call boxes or respond to back up.

We are always on the go trying to get something completed. You know that 5 minute downtime you may have waiting on the huddle to start? Most people are thinking - 'Oh, I get a 5 minute break'
I'm thinking - 'I could have got this or this done by now'
When it's time to go home, if we are not done then we don't get to leave. There's been some nights that we have been there until 3a.m., there are some nights we leave at 11:15, it varies of course but rest assured we are there until it's finished.
What I'm trying to get across is this - there is too much for us to do with the time we are given, we are held accountable for our workload and the condition of the store.

Now let's look at the front end. Our GSTL's/GSA's stand in front of RTW over 50% of their shift, a good portain at GS talking, and then some doing their work. No, I am not exaggerating. If there's no guests at GS then you will often see the TM standing there day dreaming. When there's no guests at food ave. or starbucks you can often find the TM's standing there talking. The cashiers may zone their checklane if there's no guest or they may stand there staring into space. If there is no guests at GS but back up is needed, the GSTL will call the salesfloor for backup instead of sending them to GS. If a carry out is needed and the CA isn't available, the salesfloor is called to do it. If there's a 1.50 price challenge on a 20.00 item, they call the salesfloor to check it instead of just adjusting it. They go home on time every single day. The GSTL complained recently because they had 7 endcaps to change within 1 week, I was dumbfounded.

So let's compare - a smaller staffed work center with more work to be completed, that's held accountable for the workload vs. a work center where there's a significant amount of downtime and doesn't help out anyone else in the store. I would have a much different attitude if they helped out, or offered to help. They don't even cover their own breaks half the time when more than 1 of them is there, they call the floor to help. Again this is at MY store, YOUR store may be completely different.

Sounds like your GSTLs need to spend some time in a higher volume store.

At my store (A+ volume), we are busy at the lanes and Guest Service for the majority of the day. If Guest Service doesn't have guests to deal with, they have lots of re-shop to sort and defectives to process (we get a lot of those guests). At the lanes, if we don't have guests, we're usually zoning, refilling our bag reserves because we go through bags quickly, clearing up the mess of carts in front of the exit because the cart attendant is emptying the bottle room yet again, etc. Once in a great while, our GSTL/GSAs will send those of us who are sales floor-trained to help with re-shop or CAFs (because you don't want someone pushing product to the floor if they don't know what they're doing).

With the way we've been staffed the last couple months, even the ETLs have to help out on the floor.

I don't know why it isn't part of the GSA/GSTL training, but I think whoever is going to be running the front should be required to spend at least a few shifts as a sales floor tm. When they are being asked by the LOD why they aren't finished pushing CAFS, doing reshop, zoning, etc..and the front has called for backup or help with carts all day long they will get a different viewpoint. I am a GSA now, but I am very glad to have spent some time in softlines and I realize the need to keep backup requests to the absolute minimum. However, sales floor people should also realize there's something about a mob of ticked off guests staring at you wanting you to magically make it better.

Forgot to add that I also make full use of everyone up front before I call for backup, sending guests with smaller orders to check out at guest service, cafe, even starbucks if they have the time.

This. Front end brand is important, but so is sales floor brand. With the way payroll is nowadays, that balance is more and more difficult to achieve.

I would utilize guest service to ring up small orders sometimes... My store was really big so it wasnt practical to send people to FA/Sbux, plus those areas would get mad because they are usually steady busy.

I did use the cart attendant sometimes, particularly in early mornings (provided the CA in question was Cashier trained -- we had an autistic fellow who wasn't). However I try not to use the cart attendant since they are so vital to the Store Brand / Guest Experience impression... Putting them on a lane for a while will put them behind on carts, then trash cans, then restroom checks, and it all kind of snowballs. They're a 1 person team most the time.

So this morning I get an alert on my myDevice that says 'a guest is attempting to purchase over $5,000 in prepaid GF or Target GF.' I was like... really? I don't know what happened though. I wasn't anywhere near the front, just recieved the alert.

So this morning I get an alert on my myDevice that says 'a guest is attempting to purchase over $5,000 in prepaid GF or Target GF.' I was like... really? I don't know what happened though. I wasn't anywhere near the front, just recieved the alert.
It's against federal law for them to purchase more than $5000 a day in giftcards. I've never seen that alert but I had a guest in my store buy like $10000 for 2013 Christmas gifts to everyone he employed and not even a week later my ETL-AP forwarded me an email from someone at a federal office.

my store follows the 1+1 religiously. personally i think two people waiting behind the person you are helping is perfectly fine as long as there isn't anyone with a weeks worth of groceries on the line. the store i USED to live near before moving had two cashiers within 2 hours of closing with lines wrapped around.

Its just stuid anyway really let people wait in line then maybe they will have their coupons out, wallet out, cartwheel up to date..hate the way they act like they don't wit in lines anywhere it would be nice if that was possible you even have to wait at an ER..lol

Its just stuid anyway really let people wait in line then maybe they will have their coupons out, wallet out, cartwheel up to date..hate the way they act like they don't wit in lines anywhere it would be nice if that was possible you even have to wait at an ER..lol
I feel the same way. There's going to be a line, if you want to shop here that much then deal with it, or complain to corporate that they need to staff more cashiers (yeah sure they don't listen to plebs like TMs or guests). Eventually it's going to get to the point that people will see that the store is being run on a skeleton crew and they will go elsewhere...like walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back