Fulfillment ruins everything

I saw a longtime veteran of Fulfillment abandoning her empty three-tier cart in the middle of a walkway in the back. Surely she knows, from years of experience, that you’re not supposed to do that.

Not everyone . I’ve seen some people who respects the fact that I just zoned the aisle and takes stuff carefully . Sometimes just a product out of the box from line and pushes the rest to floor .
The fact that you have to say “sometimes” is problematic, and shows how bad the situation is.

The fact that you have to say “sometimes” is problematic, and shows how bad the situation is.
Others just take what they want and leave the box opened on the uboat . So for me if someone is pushing the rest of stuff that they took , it’s a positive thing especially them being on a deadline to pick .

Your fulfillment team needs some training refreshers. Some of my store's fulfillment TMs aren't so great, but it seems like most of the ones working during my shift are okay. Just wish they wouldn't leave their cart blocking the door to my back room. Seems like some of them think they're the only person in the store.

I saw a longtime veteran of Fulfillment abandoning her empty three-tier cart in the middle of a walkway in the back. Surely she knows, from years of experience, that you’re not supposed to do that.
That would NEVER happen at my store. We have labeled 4 carts as "fulfillment only" and put them into our OPU hold area and yet they are in the backroom with pull clips on them in the morning. We label them with our names when we go on break or lunch so no other team will commandeer them and we can get right back into a batch upon returning.... and it still happens. Also, our backroom is so small and so full of other vehicles, there's not really much of a walkway. lol

At our store the packing stations for OPUs were apparently laid out with no thought of form or function.
We recently had an OPU holding area remodel and it was laid out by the remodel ETL who had never picked or stowed a batch. We have been slowly and steadily moving things to be functional, ergonomic and useful to the speed necessary for fulfillment.

I hope inbound or gm would take that empty cart & use it for priorities. My store folks would take it for sure.

I don’t think that’s what her intentions were. She should have left it in CB1 or in an aisle on the salesfloor, outside of that back area. It’s idiotic to leave it in a cramped walkway in the long hall. If they need it for pulls, they can get it from Guest or CB1 when they need it for pulls. It shouldn’t be just sitting back there.

That would NEVER happen at my store. We have labeled 4 carts as "fulfillment only" and put them into our OPU hold area and yet they are in the backroom with pull clips on them in the morning. We label them with our names when we go on break or lunch so no other team will commandeer them and we can get right back into a batch upon returning.... and it still happens. Also, our backroom is so small and so full of other vehicles, there's not really much of a walkway. lol
The fact that it’s small is why they shouldn’t be leaving it there if there’s no immediate use for it.

Your fulfillment team needs some training refreshers. Some of my store's fulfillment TMs aren't so great, but it seems like most of the ones working during my shift are okay. Just wish they wouldn't leave their cart blocking the door to my back room. Seems like some of them think they're the only person in the store.
I have never figured out why they do that in the backrooms. The cart will be completely blocking the walkway in the back, and they won’t even be anywhere near it. Makes no sense, and it’s a hazard.

Others just take what they want and leave the box opened on the uboat . So for me if someone is pushing the rest of stuff that they took , it’s a positive thing especially them being on a deadline to pick .
This is literally our direction. (Take the item, leave the rest to be pushed) Pushing pulls and/or freight isn't part of fulfillment's job. Their job is to pick the items for the guest in the fastest time possible without any INF. Having to search for items that are in the store but not on the floor in the correct spot does not achieve that goal. Fulfillment is finding items that have already been sold.... items that are literally bringing in today's sales dollars. The cooperation of the rest of the teams is essential. They are also the only team that is held accountable for the work of everyone else. Not found because it's backstocked wrong? INF... fulfillment metric. Not found because it came in today and is on a uboat that may or may not be the one it belongs on? INF... fulfillment metric. Vendor didn't stock the shelf yet? INF... fulfillment metric. Aisle is filled with vehicles and all have to be moved out and then back in? Time against fulfillment metric. Waiting to use the wave or get into a movable aisle? Time against fulfillment metric. Nobody did reshop and the carts have to be gone through because it was ordered? INF .... fulfillment metric. Capacity and/or count wrong affecting OH? INF fulfillment metric. Every INF leads to a guest not getting their order completely filled. Damn fullfillment ruins everything.

Last edited:
This is literally our direction. (Take the item, leave the rest to be pushed) Pushing pulls and/or freight isn't part of fulfillment's job. Their job is to pick the items for the guest in the fastest time possible without any INF. Having to search for items that are in the store but not on the floor in the correct spot does not achieve that goal. Fulfillment is finding items that have already been sold.... items that are literally bringing in today's sales dollars. The cooperation of the rest of the teams is essential. They are also the only team that is held accountable for the work of everyone else. Not found because it's backstocked wrong? INF... fulfillment metric. Not found because it came in today and is on a uboat that may or may not be the one it belongs on? INF... fulfillment metric. Vendor didn't stock the shelf yet? INF... fulfillment metric. Aisle is filled with vehicles and all have to be moved out and then back in? Time against fulfillment metric. Waiting to use the wave or get into a movable aisle? Time against fulfillment metric. Nobody did reshop and the carts have to be gone through because it was ordered? INF .... fulfillment metric. Capacity and/or count wrong affecting OH? INF fulfillment metric. Every INF leads to a guest not getting their order completely filled. Damn fullfillment ruins everything.
I went to get my OPU last night and only 1 of 5 items was there.

My store doesn't week out poor performing employees because they are more concerned about have a department fully staffed not whether the TMs are good.

Can’t they cheat on INF tho?

Yes, but it pisses off the guest as they have to either "return" the item or wait for a TM to shop for it. If the guest did a DU they probably have to come in as most items aren't eligible for DU returns. At my store, it's about 90-97% of the orders that are a DU

How? If an item isn't found it isn't found. It's easy to find who picked an order and if they are consistently wrong there should be little doubt that there will be an investigation and consequences. As I said, fulfillment is literally today's sales dollars and every part of it is traceable to the tm picking the order.

Back