Future of Retail

As I am so interested in cool and futuristic things happening in the retail environment, I thought I would make this thread showcasing some things happening or could happen to Target.

Elo Touch Displays
Currently Elo Touch Displays are in use on most if not all of the stores register screens. Some stores have interactive displays on the connected home island in Tech. These displays actually are a whole android operating system, unlike the registers (I believe) and when you first turn them on they ask you which POG its being placed on and that's it. They scroll through the items on the pog, and when you click them display the price, information, rating, and videos about the item.

8781 8782

These displays are also being used for the Service Hub's which will replace the price scanners and red phones. These are basically a glorified Target App, but will allow you to purchase online items (at the scanner in some stores, or by scanning a qr code in others) see on floor and on hand counts, and request items to be brought to guest services.

8783 8785 8786

They have also been seen used on an experimental new self checkout experience. Zebra Devices were seen opening the cash drawer remotely.

Electronic Ink Shelf Labels
These electronic ink shelf labels were tested a long time ago in one target store but was deemed to be too expensive. Since then new advances in this technology have appeared, like multiple colors, and different sizes. These shelf labels are able to update remotely, and even by the minute pricing. Best Buys have started to roll out these shelf labels in many stores.

LCD Grocery Doors
Two stores have gotten these new LCD grocery doors, able to display the products and periodically display full-door ads on some of the products behind it.

8788 8789

Smart Keys
Best Buys have been rolling out Smart Keys to unlock doors and cases with a NFC card. Instead of metal keys that snap in half when you breathe near it.

The way our plastic label strip holders take a beating, I can't see Spot turning to Electronic Ink Shelf Labels soon, if ever.
Honestly I feel like people would be more careful in the presence of a store with these. Best Buy even has huge tablet ones too.

Not retail, but the new solar powered McDonald's in Florida uses Elo displays.

Back