Archived Gasio vs. Target Corp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a letter from a lawyer asking me to call and answer some questions about how I am treated by Target. They say they pay $20 for the interview.

I'm guessing its regarding the Gasio v. Target lawsuit...

Not sure if I want to bother...

I'm not sure which is worse being locked in the store after your shift or locked out of the store while trying to come in to work.

I hate standing there in cold every morning like no one knows that people come in every morning at 6am and need the door opened.

I'm not sure which is worse being locked in the store after your shift or locked out of the store while trying to come in to work.

I hate standing there in cold every morning like no one knows that people come in every morning at 6am and need the door opened.
Bp says that tm's should not be let in until 5 minutes before the shift starts. I do not like waiting when it's dark & cold either.

I hated that morning cattle call at 5:55 to the doors. As a chronically punctual person it pained me to arrive 15 minutes early, sit in my car for ten, then stand outside with all the other 6 am'ers waiting to be let in-only to end uppunching in at 6-10 after 6. Why is the time clock so far from the entrance?! Why cant someone PLAN to open the door for 8 people every day at 5 to 6? Why does target seem so amateur and basic when theyve been in business for decades?!

Bp says that tm's should not be let in until 5 minutes before the shift starts. I do not like waiting when it's dark & cold either.

We used to have an early morning leadership team that was great about this. Everyone knew the 10-minute window was the rule, and they got out of their cars and walked to the door at 3:54 every morning. The Flow TL or ETL-Logistics would always stay at TSC until 4:35 to let the rest of the crew in, and they always went back up at 5, 6, and 7 to let the other teams inside.

These days, everyone waits outside forever wondering when they'll be let in, and it's almost always on days when our Backroom/Instocks TL is opening. She is never on time on her weekends, and the ad set team is late getting started nearly every other Sunday morning for the past few months. Between her constant tardiness, her crappy leadership skills, and her sheer lack of understanding of our logistics processes after over a year in her position, I honestly can't believe she still has a job. It's probably because her 4AM backroom team is almost entirely made up of veterans (like myself) that have been carrying her since she started. (Can you tell I won't miss the backroom at this point? Ha ha.)

Most people go ahead and just punch in 10-15 minutes late, but I go straight to the computer at TSC while I am booting up my PDA and submit a punch correction with a comment like: "Present at door at 3:55 AM, (Backroom TL's name) did not arrive until 4:16." I don't know why everyone else just lets it go. They sit out there bitching about it for 10-15 minutes and then do nothing to solve the problem. I'm sure not taking a hit on my attendance for somebody else's negligence, and if she can't get up for work on time then maybe she needs to find a different job. :mad:

If there is ever a lawsuit, my punch corrections alone are probably enough to document this issue at our store.

I hated that morning cattle call at 5:55 to the doors. As a chronically punctual person it pained me to arrive 15 minutes early, sit in my car for ten, then stand outside with all the other 6 am'ers waiting to be let in-only to end uppunching in at 6-10 after 6. Why is the time clock so far from the entrance?! Why cant someone PLAN to open the door for 8 people every day at 5 to 6? Why does target seem so amateur and basic when theyve been in business for decades?!

Your time clock isn't by the overnight TM door? I've worked support at lots of stores in my area and I've never seen one that wasn't right there in TSC by the lockers and HR office.

(Except the ones in the backroom like we used to have at my store, but those were not the primary time clock.)

We used to have an early morning leadership team that was great about this. Everyone knew the 10-minute window was the rule, and they got out of their cars and walked to the door at 3:54 every morning. The Flow TL or ETL-Logistics would always stay at TSC until 4:35 to let the rest of the crew in, and they always went back up at 5, 6, and 7 to let the other teams inside.

These days, everyone waits outside forever wondering when they'll be let in, and it's almost always on days when our Backroom/Instocks TL is opening. She is never on time on her weekends, and the ad set team is late getting started nearly every other Sunday morning for the past few months. Between her constant tardiness, her crappy leadership skills, and her sheer lack of understanding of our logistics processes after over a year in her position, I honestly can't believe she still has a job. It's probably because her 4AM backroom team is almost entirely made up of veterans (like myself) that have been carrying her since she started. (Can you tell I won't miss the backroom at this point? Ha ha.)

Most people go ahead and just punch in 10-15 minutes late, but I go straight to the computer at TSC while I am booting up my PDA and submit a punch correction with a comment like: "Present at door at 3:55 AM, (Backroom TL's name) did not arrive until 4:16." I don't know why everyone else just lets it go. They sit out there bitching about it for 10-15 minutes and then do nothing to solve the problem. I'm sure not taking a hit on my attendance for somebody else's negligence, and if she can't get up for work on time then maybe she needs to find a different job. :mad:

If there is ever a lawsuit, my punch corrections alone are probably enough to document this issue at our store.
Let the others know to do punch corrections. Spot will notice that big time.

Also, similarly, i worked for a retailer (national) which would have the closing staff punch out at 9:30, THEN straighten and tidy for up to an hour before unlocking the door and releasing us. i found it infuriating. I once tested their resolve by telling the mod that i was being picked up by a friend for a movie and when he asked whether my area was done i tood him that i was prety sure i was scheduled until 930 and as such made personal plans, but that if he wanted me to punch back in i couod maybe givve him another 10 minutes.. He un locked the door right away and acted like he was doing me a favor just this once but wtf?! How HOW is that ok? This was about 17 years ago...i wo der if its still like that there? Also, you were required to call any manager or key holder by mr. Or mrs.lastname...that always felt weird to me. Aw hell it was tjmaxx. So much for being vague. Id love to hear if anyone else ever worked there, whether it was the same.

Let the others know to do punch corrections. Spot will notice that big time.

I have been doing that since the very first time it happened to us, it falls on deaf ears. Most of them say nothing, and the ones who argue say that they don't think it's right to get paid for time that they didn't work. While I can see their point, I have warned them that the only thing they are doing is letting the TL get away with it. She will turn around in a few months and nail them all on attendance right before their performance reviews, and then they will wise up.

My ETL-Log is not as big of an issue, but it still happens enough to irritate me. I guess I will be coming in at 6 soon instead of 4, and she will be my direct supervisor. I will continue to do punch corrections if they don't let me in before 6:05.

Your time clock isn't by the overnight TM door? I've worked support at lots of stores in my area and I've never seen one that wasn't right there in TSC by the lockers and HR office.

(Except the ones in the backroom like we used to have at my store, but those were not the primary time clock.)

It was in the tsc which was on the other side of all food alley then checklanes and then pharmacy...not near the entry by any means.

It was in the tsc which was on the other side of all food alley then checklanes and then pharmacy...not near the entry by any means.

Oh, that's especially crappy. I didn't realize any stores were like that; although every store seems to have some quirk like that, so I'm not totally surprised.

Inever guessed why the clock wasnt at gs on a register like other places ive worked. Lol i also didnt realize all trgets werent set up the same- but of course they are! Ive been in tons theyre all unique...

At our store the overnight door is locked from the outside and you have to be buzzed in (although any team member at TSC can do the buzzing) and is unlocked but alarmed while the store is open from the inside. As soon as the store is closed until it opens again the alarm for leaving is disabled. It is in a low crime area. It would suck to have to wait. During normal closed hours when they are expecting someone to come in, up to and including up to 5 minutes before store opening there is almost always someone at TSC to buzz you in.

Last edited:
Reading all of this, I would cry if my store went back to keeping the doors locked until open.

At our store the overnight door is locked from the outside and you have to be buzzed in (although any team member at TSC can do the buzzing) and is unlocked but alarmed while the store is open. As soon as the store is closed until it opens again the alarm for leaving is disabled. It is in a low crime area. It would suck to have to wait.

Ours is set up pretty much the same, everyone knows where the buzzer is and as long as the alarm is down (after 6 AM) there are no issues. Occasionally if it's just a few minutes after 6 people get let in by TMs so they won't be late, and if they don't check the alarm panel or know what "Perimeter Armed" means, it goes off. Then the LOD gets pissed off and gives everyone a stern reminder to call on the walkie and check before letting someone in.

For late 4AMers or random TMs coming in before 6, the Flow TL will often run over to the fitting room and take the perimeter alarm down so a TM can buzz in another TM, usually when the unload is running behind. I wouldn't personally do that if I had an alarm code, though. ("Hey, so and so needs to get in, can you take the alarm down?"... then that TM proceeds to carry stolen merchandise out to his car.)

And we aren't supposed to use our overnight door after 8 AM, but of course all of the ETLs do it because they can.

No way Target would make you work off the clock. The liability is too much!
In any State (like California) that has mandated breaks there may also liability for (indirectly) forcing TMs to work through their 15s, by demanding so much from them that they skip their breaks to get their work done.

Someday some smart TM is going to find a way to document that it's happening, and that will be the next lawsuit.

I've always taken all my breaks, but recently I've been tempted to work through them because there is NO way I can get done otherwise.

I keep waiting for a former SrTL to get smart and start a lawsuit. If they are the only LOD in the building, they have to clock out for lunch, but can't leave the building, have to answer calls, etc, etc. If the store isn't paying them, then it has no legal grounds to ask them to stay on the property or do one iota of work. Eventually someone will figure this out and file suit. And Spot will immediately lose.

I don't know about other stores - our store, an LOD has to cover our lunch. No questions. I as a SR., will typically take my lunch at 5PM before the last ETL or other SR. leaves so they can cover for me.

Very unfair if an LOD has to take their "lunch" and still work. Not cool.

No way Target would make you work off the clock. The liability is too much!
In any State (like California) that has mandated breaks there may also liability for (indirectly) forcing TMs to work through their 15s, by demanding so much from them that they skip their breaks to get their work done.

Someday some smart TM is going to find a way to document that it's happening, and that will be the next lawsuit.

I've always taken all my breaks, but recently I've been tempted to work through them because there is NO way I can get done otherwise.

I keep waiting for a former SrTL to get smart and start a lawsuit. If they are the only LOD in the building, they have to clock out for lunch, but can't leave the building, have to answer calls, etc, etc. If the store isn't paying them, then it has no legal grounds to ask them to stay on the property or do one iota of work. Eventually someone will figure this out and file suit. And Spot will immediately lose.

I don't know about other stores - our store, an LOD has to cover our lunch. No questions. I as a SR., will typically take my lunch at 5PM before the last ETL or other SR. leaves so they can cover for me.

Very unfair if an LOD has to take their "lunch" and still work. Not cool.

At my store, that would mean that the LOD would have to go at like 4:30, to be back when the others left at 5pm (and that's if anyone stays that late...4pm is more like it). And since we are a 5 hour state, that means the LOD would either go into compliance or have to take another lunch, completely defeating the purpose of having them go early.

Some stores don't have a separate entrance for TMs. At my store, you have to use a door at the side of the main entrance block, which only opens from the inside and is always deadbolted at night unless the overnight teams are on break or lunch and a TL/ETL is nearby. Both of the doors near our TSC are emergency exits.

I imagine if you do an interview with the lawyer you'll get subpoenaed to court at some point.

Anyway. Not paying your team for any work they do is bullshit. When i originally started in AP my ETL told me to take my 15s and 30, but if he needed me he expected me to get on cameras and do a punch correction later.

APBP found out and tore him a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back