Archived Getting a business degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a BA in business, business management, accounting, or human resources, are you eligible to apply for a TL or ETL job? Do you have to have an MA in business or a related area to be eligible for a "management" position?

Wow, it seems strange that these jobs don't specifically require a business degree! These days, even low-paid, entry level administrative assistant jobs usually call for some kind of business or accounting degree.

How does one do this internship thing? It sounds interesting.

Wow, it seems strange that these jobs don't specifically require a business degree! These days, even low-paid, entry level administrative assistant jobs usually call for some kind of business or accounting degree.

It's a 10 week internship a lot of students will do between their junior and senior year. When I'm far enough along in my degree, I'm hoping to do an ETL-GE internship. Here's a link to the corporate page about it: https://corporate.target.com/careers/college-students#video-Chris.

Anybody here who has done the internship that could give insight?

How is it strange? It's retail, not computer programming. The job doesn't actually require a degree... it is simply used to screen out undesirables.

As somebody who has a business degree I can tell you that Target will never use any of it. All you do is follow whatever the brand tells you to do. You will never be required to thing for yourself when it comes to running the store. Even the coachings are pre scripted at this point.

Go for intern.

I was an intern over the summer (now a GSTL) and will move into an ETL position once I graduate in May.
However, there is a TL "on-the-bench" at my store, who really wants to move up into ETL once he is done with school next year. He wants to go for the intern position, but I guess there is an extra process and paperwork for him to do so. My advice: don't do it.
You can intern as a junior and then become an "advanced" intern as a senior. I was in a store with an advanced intern, and she was given much more responsibility and projects since she was a 2nd year intern. If you are looking for work between the summers, some stores (like mine) will take you on as an extended intern or move you into a TL position (like me).
Apply now and if your school has a job fair and Target recruits there... GO. If you get interviewed, be fully prepared to explain why you left Target and why you want to go back. One of my other friends applied for an ETL at the job fair at my school few weeks ago. He was a former Tm and was declined after the first interview... The interviewer asked many questions about why he left, etc. If you left because of performance issues, again, be fully prepared to explain.
If you have any further questions, let me know.
Edit:
And remember this, the internship is intended for those without previous managerial experience. While I did have some supervisory and retail experience (worked with another retailer since I was 17!), most of the interns did not.
And as an accounting major, you may want the accounting experience in the future in case you don't like the retail world. So stick with your current job, go for internship, and go from there.
And hey, that internship looks good on a resume anyways... Especially with the community service opportunities they give you. I've actually had a couple companies reach out to me via LinkedIn about opportunities more in-line with my a major!

It's a 10 week internship a lot of students will do between their junior and senior year. When I'm far enough along in my degree, I'm hoping to do an ETL-GE internship. Here's a link to the corporate page about it: https://corporate.target.com/careers/college-students#video-Chris.

Theres a few people on here who have done it, many have given me insight into the internship because I am doing it this summer. Looking forward to the experience and will post frequently about it.

Can you do an internship if you've already graduated?

I don't think so. I believe it's only available to college students, specifically those graduating in a year or less(?).
When my friend told his STL that he was interested in becoming an ETL. The STL told him
that it was too late for the internship, since he was graduating in a few weeks. The STL
told him to apply directly or go for TL and promote. He ended up just directly applying and he got the job.

If you're interested in becoming an ETL, I would ask one questions about their job.
You could also ask an ETL if you can shadow him/her. Also look at the ETL core roles on workbench. Then if you think
it's a good fit for you, then apply directly.

Can you do an internship if you've already graduated?

I don't think so. I believe it's only available to college students, specifically those graduating in a year or less(?).
When my friend told his STL that he was interested in becoming an ETL. The STL told him
that it was too late for the internship, since he was graduating in a few weeks. The STL
told him to apply directly or go for TL and promote. He ended up just directly applying and he got the job.

If you're interested in becoming an ETL, I would ask one questions about their job.
You could also ask an ETL if you can shadow him/her. Also look at the ETL core roles on workbench. Then if you think
it's a good fit for you, then apply directly.

Internship is only available for current students above junior-level status in school. You DO NOT have to be graduating within a year, but those graduating within a year will have better time. When I completed the internship over the summer, my store had an "advanced intern" (2nd year intern).

I'm currently an extended-intern in Guest Experience. My summer internship was in Logistics.

Here is an overview based on my experience as someone who came in from outside of Target. As some of the posters know, before coming to Target, I worked for Kmart for 5 years... So the previous retail experience helped somewhat during my internship and helped move me along at a faster clip.

I would also like to point out that you may not be able to pick your "workcenter." I have heard that while internships in HR/AP are available, they are usually given to internal applicants or those with previous Target experience.

First weeks are spent training. You will do a TON of computer based training and shadowing your mentor. You will get to learn about Target Best Practices, the team, and the store. Get to know your team early. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. Hell, walk around with a small notepad if you need too. You will train on the registers, PDA's, Crown, Wave, and basically everything else.

Next weeks are spent actually doing your workcenter processes. For example, as a logstics intern, I helped unload trucks, helped backstock, pull, etc.
Your mentor will start having you speak up at huddles. You will start deep-diving metrics and learning about reports.

Hope you're getting the hang of the processes you just learned.... Guess what? Starting week 4-5 you will start leading the processes! You will meet and discuss goals with your TL's and begin delegating and following up. You will probably start taking a more active role in ETL meetings, huddles, etc. Your trainer will start taking off the training wheels.

Now that you have become an "expert" in your workcenter, week 6-8 marks the start of LOD training and shifts; if you have not already. You will probably start working with other ETL's and begin learning about total store operations. You will walk a mock DTL visit. You will develop wins/opps/focus for the day. If you don't feel good delegating and following up... You will have a bad time!

Your final weeks will mean you will be leading the workcenter with little mentor direction. Of course, they will still there, but you will probably be put on separate shifts to test your knowledge. If you have a large workcenter, you may be put in charge of just one area.

Week 10... Graduation! Complete your operational review and look back and feel proud! Hopefully, you'll get an offer!!

Other information:
-You will status with your STL at least once every two weeks. This is a great time to ask questions... Really focus on your opportunities!

-You will probably go on a few volunteer events. Get to know other TM's, TL's, and ETL's! This is huge and is noticed by your mentor, STL, and [maybe] your DTL.

-Depending on number of other interns in your area, you may on internship events within the district. We had one every other week... Including a trip to the DC!

-Extended internship is available (internship during school year) but ask early if interested... As a current extended intern I caution you... Make sure it is something you REALLY want before accepting it and have objectives discussed beforehand. Before my STL got moved I had an excellent experience... She was flexible with my schedule and really awesome about everything. But be cautioned... The extended internship isn't as structured as the summer one. My extended internship has really made me think twice about accepting the ETL role....

As somebody who has a business degree I can tell you that Target will never use any of it. All you do is follow whatever the brand tells you to do. You will never be required to thing for yourself when it comes to running the store. Even the coachings are pre scripted at this point.
Are you an ETL? I believe there is a lot of following what brand says, but I also feel like the leaders that truly stand out and lead well are the ones that aren't just doing what they're being told (IE the ones moving up constantly..) My STL, even though she takes a million vacations, is one of those... and is moving up again soon :(...

But again on the subject of the actual degree.. Many business degrees are this way. As an accounting major, all the Big 4 firms (and midsized firms) tell us upon graduating (even with the Masters...) will know almost nothing when it comes to actual accounting and it's learned on the job... So I feel a lot of things are like that in the 'business world' its more about finding a mentor and learning the ropes from them while the education from schooling is simply a base.

Last edited:

I'm currently an extended-intern in Guest Experience. My summer internship was in Logistics.

Here is an overview based on my experience as someone who came in from outside of Target. As some of the posters know, before coming to Target, I worked for Kmart for 5 years... So the previous retail experience helped somewhat during my internship and helped move me along at a faster clip.

I would also like to point out that you may not be able to pick your "workcenter." I have heard that while internships in HR/AP are available, they are usually given to internal applicants or those with previous Target experience.

First weeks are spent training. You will do a TON of computer based training and shadowing your mentor. You will get to learn about Target Best Practices, the team, and the store. Get to know your team early. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. Hell, walk around with a small notepad if you need too. You will train on the registers, PDA's, Crown, Wave, and basically everything else.

Next weeks are spent actually doing your workcenter processes. For example, as a logstics intern, I helped unload trucks, helped backstock, pull, etc.
Your mentor will start having you speak up at huddles. You will start deep-diving metrics and learning about reports.

Hope you're getting the hang of the processes you just learned.... Guess what? Starting week 4-5 you will start leading the processes! You will meet and discuss goals with your TL's and begin delegating and following up. You will probably start taking a more active role in ETL meetings, huddles, etc. Your trainer will start taking off the training wheels.

Now that you have become an "expert" in your workcenter, week 6-8 marks the start of LOD training and shifts; if you have not already. You will probably start working with other ETL's and begin learning about total store operations. You will walk a mock DTL visit. You will develop wins/opps/focus for the day. If you don't feel good delegating and following up... You will have a bad time!

Your final weeks will mean you will be leading the workcenter with little mentor direction. Of course, they will still there, but you will probably be put on separate shifts to test your knowledge. If you have a large workcenter, you may be put in charge of just one area.

Week 10... Graduation! Complete your operational review and look back and feel proud! Hopefully, you'll get an offer!!

Other information:
-You will status with your STL at least once every two weeks. This is a great time to ask questions... Really focus on your opportunities!

-You will probably go on a few volunteer events. Get to know other TM's, TL's, and ETL's! This is huge and is noticed by your mentor, STL, and [maybe] your DTL.

-Depending on number of other interns in your area, you may on internship events within the district. We had one every other week... Including a trip to the DC!

-Extended internship is available (internship during school year) but ask early if interested... As a current extended intern I caution you... Make sure it is something you REALLY want before accepting it and have objectives discussed beforehand. Before my STL got moved I had an excellent experience... She was flexible with my schedule and really awesome about everything. But be cautioned... The extended internship isn't as structured as the summer one. My extended internship has really made me think twice about accepting the ETL role....

What is the kickoff like? My guess is meeting everyone and kind of getting an outline of the program, but really have no information of it. Would like to hear your insight since it is in a few months!

Other information:

What is the kickoff like? My guess is meeting everyone and kind of getting an outline of the program, but really have no information of it. Would like to hear your insight since it is in a few months!

The meet and greet is going to be pretty standard. You and other interns from your district and group are going to get to get her several times over the course of the 10 weeks, and the first time it's all about networking (you'll be meeting with a ton of DTLs, and BPs, and their respective bosses) introductions and learning Target lingo, standards and expectations.

You'll probably play some games, win some Target dog/gear. My advice to you is remember you're always on stage, and constantly being evaluated by everyone so speak up, take the initiative and stand out in your DTL and GTLs minds and get extended an offer after the 10 weeks is up.

Other information:

The meet and greet is going to be pretty standard. You and other interns from your district and group are going to get to get her several times over the course of the 10 weeks, and the first time it's all about networking (you'll be meeting with a ton of DTLs, and BPs, and their respective bosses) introductions and learning Target lingo, standards and expectations.

You'll probably play some games, win some Target dog/gear. My advice to you is remember you're always on stage, and constantly being evaluated by everyone so speak up, take the initiative and stand out in your DTL and GTLs minds and get extended an offer after the 10 weeks is up.

Kick-off is pretty standard...

You will receive your name badge. Wear it. Yes, this sounds stupid, but some people didn't get the hint at mine and were constantly asked "oh, so are you?"

You should be spilt off by district at some point. As you should have received your store assignment by now... Memorize your store location AND store number when you receive it. Most Target people refer to each other by store number, so when you are trying to figure who your STL is at the kick-off, its much easier if you number the store number.

You will do a cheesy introduction (name, location, some fun fact about yourself, etc.). You will also learn about Target's history, some of the lingo, etc. You may want to pay attention as you can win a Target dog! You will play a couple of the cheesy "ice-breaker" style games.

Eventually you will have lunch. If you haven't already, try to find and sit by your STL and get to know them!

You will also go over some basic HR policies and procedures.

Finally, you will be able to ask questions from former interns (aka current ETLs). STL's and DTL's are NOT present, but remember the ETL's that are in the room may be from your district so for the love of god, please don't ask anything stupid.They are "sworn" to secrecy, but why risk asking a dumb question and getting judged later... I remember an RX interned asked about prescription errors and something really dumb and unprofessional. Also, the recruiter is present and may be judging you..

As previously stated, you are on-stage at all times and are being sized up at all times. Try to find others from your district and find a group to talk too immediately. Also, ETL/STL/DTL/BPs' do NOT wear anything identifying them as such (but you can make a pretty good guess based on how 'dressy' they are) so ALWAYS ASSUME THE PERSON YOU ARE TALKING TO IS A DTL OR HIGHER. Also, don't assume someone is another intern.

As tempting as it is, DO NOT play on your phone. Yes, you will see others on theirs, but they are probably an ETL/STL/etc. will a reason too. Don't risk it.

Finally, if it hasn't been previously discussed get your first day information from your STL before you leave!

After kick-off, you will have orientation day. Typical "first day" orientation... Review of employee handbook, training videos, etc. This will be held by an ETL-HR within your district and will most likely be held with other interns from your district.

It doesn't take a degree to be a "manager" at Target since essentially every business move is dictated by Corporate. Your job is to stock shelves and answer guests questions. It takes tough skin, adaptability, and resilience. You have to be able to accomplish great things with very little resources, even more true for ETL-Logistics. An ETL position is desirable because it offers a good paying salary for an entry level position. For those that are not married, do not have children, and have zero work experience, an ETL position at Target is ideal. But when you break down your salary into money earned per hour, it may not be worth it. For example, an ETL-Logistics for a AA store or above should get a minimum of $60,000. The minimum hours required are 50, but that can easily be extended to 60. So if you work 60 hrs a week at 60,000, your hourly pay is approx. $19 an hour before taxes. At 80,000, which may be extending it a bit for recent grads, your hourly rate at 50 hours is $30 before taxes. But imagine if you worked a less stressful job, same pay, but the most you work on average is 40 hours a week. Your hourly pay is $38 before taxes. Although it's only $8 more dollars an hour, you'll work 9-5, have weekends off, holidays off, and spend more time doing the things you love with the people you love, not stocking shelves and babysitting at Target. Working just 5o hours is a blessing, so if you work the 60 then your pay jumps down to $26 an hour. Just a thought.

If you are looking for benefits, the benefits Target offers are costly. Health insurance is high and still requires a lot of extra out-of-pocket for the patient. An urgency visit for my 2-year old cost me $125 with Target's insurance. So I paid $450 a month on premiums, had a $5000 deductible, and still owed money for the visit. My current plan with my new employer is less out of my monthly paycheck, zero deductible, and only $20 for urgency centers. With the current downfall in sales, Target recently cut insurance for some employees.

I would recommend finding an internship with a government agency, IT firm, lawyer firm, or anything not retail. If retail is your passion, go for it, because Target may be the best retail company to work for. I was an ETL-Log for over a year and felt like I was wasting my career and degree. I had no intentions on pursuing a retail career so I used that time to find a job I really loved, and why not, the pay was good enough, I just had to work long hours.

This is my experience with Target and does not reflect how all stores are. Not all stores are the same and some people experience Target in a better light. In the district I worked, 60 hours was the minimum with alternating weekends off. We were an $80 million dollar store in a district that just lost all of its leadership at the district level.

In summary, make retail a last resort.

In summary, make retail a last resort.

THIS.

I like retail, but have no desire to make a career out of it. The hours are too long, your performance is, for the most part, dictated by factors out of your control, and that constant concern that the DTL will walk in and find the slightest wrong is just too much stress.

Yes, the internship was fun... You get to go on distribution center tours, work on fun service projects, gain experience, but it's retail. I totally recommend the internship because you do get a but of leadership experience, the pay is fantastic, and it's an internship that can get gotten easily if you are denied by other, more competitive ones, but do NOT drink the Kool-Aid and do NOT fall for the lies they feed their interns.

I'm currently an extended intern, and may be moving to an ETL position soon (if I'm not performanced out prior, but that's a story for another posting)... But I'm currently seeking other employment and hoping I can find something else. Soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back