Archived Getting Another TM Interview? - Helping Family Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmetics

Team Member
Okay, here's the situation:
My older brother, 19, applied a little while after I got hired and recieved a job interview. Problem is he never heard anything back afterwards. I asked him what he may think he did wrong, he said he wasn't too sure but it might've been on the timing of his questions and how he answered. Once he told me that I just knew that's exactly what it was. It was his first job interview and didn't think too much of it being a big problem that he didn't answer that quickly because in high school it isn't, right? WRONG. From thr get-go I noticed what questions the HR was asking me. They were all hypothetical questions. Questions such as: How would you do this if you were already doing this? Or how would you do that if you were in this position? And I'm going to be honest with everyone, I bullshited my answers so hard. Just like my brother, I too am terrible at answering on the spot. So I lied. Well, kind of. If I lied they were half true, half crap. I basically told them what they wanted to hear. Apparently my brother didn't think to do that. And it may not be entirely a right thing to do, but I can answer the questions however I want and no one will run a background check because those are things that are exactly documented.
/end rant

ANYWAY, sorry for going off topic...
That's basically what screwed him over, though. At least from what we believe. But I know for a fact my brother is psychically capable of being able to do my job - I'm a Hardlines Team Member. In fact, I used to be the laziest in the family, him being the most active. But now the tables are turning and it worries me. He's giving up on finding a job and now just goes to school (high schooler) and then comes home and gets on the computer and plays nothing but video games. My mom encourages him that he apply again, but he already has after not hearing for a while. He even said that he called and that they would call him back - nothing. He was very upset about it and I feel so bad because I work there and I know he can do it and I know it would really benefit him. It would benefit him in three areas. His social skills, health (he's been gaining weight from doing nothing all day), and it would be great experience for a first job!
Is there anything I can do for him being an existing Team Member? I feel like it isn't my place to say anything. Since I've only been working at Target since April of this year. As I've said before, I'm kind of intimidated by the higher ups and don't want to affect my position. Should I just tell him to keep trying and try seeing someone in TSC? Or should I tell him it's no use, that it's already too late and to give up?
Do you think it's possible for him to still get a job there? I'm kind of worried for him and just want to put him in the right direction.

NOTE: As far as position openings go, I'm not sure if there are any, BUT for the past two months I've seen so many people coming in for interviews and quite a bit of new team members. As well as people getting laid off or just leaving.

Anyway, all answers are very much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

He is 19 and still in high school???

You need to back off and leave him alone about this job thing. If he is 19 and still in high school, that means he is probably at-risk of not finishing school. He needs to be dedicating 100% of his energy (even if that isn't much) to school right now.... not stocking shelves and asking people if he can help them find something.

If you think it is hard for him to get this job, just wait and see how hard it's going to be for him as a high school drop out. High school is a one chance thing. You either finish it or you don't. He can get a job at target anytime.

I have seen more TMs than I can count get a job at Target (often times their first job) say "Oh look at me! I have money. I don't need school anymore" and drop out. Mostly college, but sadly I have seen people drop out of high school thinking they have a job and don't need school anymore.

In your brothers case, it sounds like he is depressive and possibly going through other issues. The stress of a job is not what he needs to be taking on right now.... It could easily be the straw that breaks the camels back and leads him to just quit everything - work and school.

He is 19 and still in high school???

You need to back off and leave him alone about this job thing. If he is 19 and still in high school, that means he is probably at-risk of not finishing school. He needs to be dedicating 100% of his energy (even if that isn't much) to school right now.... not stocking shelves and asking people if he can help them find something.

If you think it is hard for him to get this job, just wait and see how hard it's going to be for him as a high school drop out. High school is a one chance thing. You either finish it or you don't. He can get a job at target anytime.

I have seen more TMs than I can count get a job at Target (often times their first job) say "Oh look at me! I have money. I don't need school anymore" and drop out. Mostly college, but sadly I have seen people drop out of high school thinking they have a job and don't need school anymore.

In your brothers case, it sounds like he is depressive and possibly going through other issues. The stress of a job is not what he needs to be taking on right now.... It could easily be the straw that breaks the camels back and leads him to just quit everything - work and school.

Okay, I definitely should've mentioned this beforehand but he will not be a high school drop out. The kid is smart. He failed first grade and he just turned 19 on the 7th of September. He's doing fine. I do have to agree with the stress part, though. He easily gets stressed out. With school alone so I can see where getting a job may not be such a great idea. Other than that he is doing pretty great in school taking AP classes and what not. I've already graduated. My 18th birthday was this past August on the 13th. My parents thought it would be a good idea if we started school together, but he liked to play a lot as a kid so he ended up falling behind and failed the first grade. I've never failed a grade so I'm ahead.

In my interview, the TL just told me to let her know when I was ready to answer and to take my time thinking of what to say. Some of those questions can be hard to answer so I would be really surprised if that's why he didn't get a call back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back