Archived Getting Called In

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can come in if you want to. If not, no big deal. It's your off day. Use it how you want.

I loved how my old store would call me while I was hiking in the mountains. I will tell them, "I am out hiking...in the middle of nowhere." <them> "Do you want to come in..." or "Can you make it here in 30 minutes..."

Maybe if there was something about Targets scheduling a person could count on they would be more wiling to come in. Heck, I rarely even know from week to week if I will need extra hours.

I understand the frustration of 25 hours.
I'm in the same boat. ...I pick up shifts and try to get as many hours as possible. Some weeks I get near 40, but many weeks I'm less than 30. I've been at my store for 5+ years and I have to fight to get hours.....but I shouldn't have to.

I've talked w/ HR, front end LOD and still don't get the hours. In my mind, I think that they just let the computer schedule people so shifts are covered.....and not scheduled on seniority or availability.
In the past few weeks, I've talked w/ everyone that I can in my store. I think that the message is starting to get through. However, I haven't seen much improvement in my time.

So, I'm beginning to consider looking for other employment. I love what I do and I'm reliable and I do a good job......but I'm not seeing that I'm getting any reward or benefits from all the work that I do. I'm trying to be patient, but I don't know how much longer I can afford to work with so few hours.

If you don't have full open avail dont expect more than 30 hours :/

I loved how my old store would call me while I was hiking in the mountains. I will tell them, "I am out hiking...in the middle of nowhere." <them> "Do you want to come in..." or "Can you make it here in 30 minutes..."

I once got called to see if I could come in after I had left Target (in western PA) and had started my new job in NJ after my two weeks had ended.

I understand the frustration of 25 hours.
I'm in the same boat. ...I pick up shifts and try to get as many hours as possible. Some weeks I get near 40, but many weeks I'm less than 30. I've been at my store for 5+ years and I have to fight to get hours.....but I shouldn't have to.

I've talked w/ HR, front end LOD and still don't get the hours. In my mind, I think that they just let the computer schedule people so shifts are covered.....and not scheduled on seniority or availability.
In the past few weeks, I've talked w/ everyone that I can in my store. I think that the message is starting to get through. However, I haven't seen much improvement in my time.

So, I'm beginning to consider looking for other employment. I love what I do and I'm reliable and I do a good job......but I'm not seeing that I'm getting any reward or benefits from all the work that I do. I'm trying to be patient, but I don't know how much longer I can afford to work with so few hours.

I think that's what it comes down to for anyone with a couple years at spot. You realize that any extra effort you put in will NOT benefit you in any way, only possibly benefiting teamleads and executive team leads, and instead of being valued for your seniority and knowledge/experience, you actually become a target yourself because you have a few raises under your belt and possibly got to keep a shift differential if you are now a six am store. GO TEAM!

I once got called to see if I could come in after I had left Target (in western PA) and had started my new job in NJ after my two weeks had ended.

LOL! When our current ETL-LOG was brand spankin' new, they used to schedule people that were on the LOA roster, so there were a couple days where we had a couple call ins, and a couple ghost team members scheduled who obviously didn't show up, and boy those were fast, fun, and friendly days. Rapport was definately established...NOT!

All I can say about this is:

If you work backroom day, and somebody calls out, and you have enough hours to cover the call out, you damn well better come to work. Especially if its the weekend. Because if you don't...the person you stiffed by leaving them by themselves in the BR is going to be very, very pissed at you the next time you work together.
And good luck if they're ever going to take a shift for you or come in on THEIR day off and YOU'RE the one stuck by yourself.

Do I sound bitter? Nooo....not at all. :dash2:
Likewise, when the person who's covered your butt MULTIPLE times needs you to cover theirs, you'd better do it, even if it's a Sunday (because the person KNOWS your kids are at their dad's this weekend and you had no plans, other than to do yardwork!) Especially when it's not some BS reason, because if you don't, the next time you need someone to come work for YOU when "you don't feel good" (which is every other week), YOU'RE going to be the one stuck at work!

Do I sound bitter? Nooo....not at all. :dash2: ;)

If you don't have full open avail dont expect more than 30 hours :/

I have only one restriction...I can't work on Tuesdays after 5pm. If this doesn't qualify as open availability I don't know what would.

I have completely open availability, but the "hours game" still gets irritating at times. One week i will be scheduled 38 hours, and the next I will be scheduled 20. Being that I have still not had a single raise and am an hourly team member trained everywhere other than service desk, it gets quite irritating. Of course, if they want someone to stay late past close on a truck night, they never hesitate to ask me even though they know it takes nearly an hour to get to my store, and I work unload.

Talk to your tl, Gstl, or hr. Tell them you Want to be on the first one to call list. Our Gstls' have that list & saves my a$$$ in hl more than once.

I have completely open availability, but the "hours game" still gets irritating at times. One week i will be scheduled 38 hours, and the next I will be scheduled 20. Being that I have still not had a single raise and am an hourly team member trained everywhere other than service desk, it gets quite irritating. Of course, if they want someone to stay late past close on a truck night, they never hesitate to ask me even though they know it takes nearly an hour to get to my store, and I work unload.

In just a couple of weeks I will be completely trained in Food Avenue and in the photo lab (our store will stop processing film in just a couple of weeks.) Add to that salesfloor, fitting room, cart attendant, pricing team (I'm still learning this area, but I've worked it a couple of times.) Ad set-up and take-down....and any other area they will let me work......all this and they can't guarantee me hours?

So, I've started to do a job search. I hope that will allow me to leave Target soon.

Two words...

Caller ID...

If you don't want to work, then don't answer the phone in the first place and don't go anywhere near your store.

Over the years, I learned both of those lessons the hard way.

Let me just say that Target's scheduling software (MAX-FSTL) is horrible! It can't even accomplish it's first-order scheduling priority -- coverage as a function of guest distribution -- without human intervention. (Scheduling the most TMs when the most guests are in the store is the one thing it's supposed to do automatically, before edits. It can't even do that.) It doesn't even generate a schedule with a reasonably low variance to forecast. (It wildly over/under schedules hours in most workcenters.) It doesn't handle set schedules very well. (It relies on the user to realize/figure-out when there are conflicts or other problems with a set schedule.) Regarding how many hours a particular TM gets: If your HRTM makes minimal edits to the schedule after it populates each week, TMs with greater availability will, on average and *over time*, get more hours.

If Guest Attendant is reading this, I'd be interested to hear how Walmart's scheduling process works.

Let me just say that Target's scheduling software (MAX-FSTL) is horrible! It can't even accomplish it's first-order scheduling priority -- coverage as a function of guest distribution -- without human intervention. (Scheduling the most TMs when the most guests are in the store is the one thing it's supposed to do automatically, before edits. It can't even do that.) It doesn't even generate a schedule with a reasonably low variance to forecast. (It wildly over/under schedules hours in most workcenters.) It doesn't handle set schedules very well. (It relies on the user to realize/figure-out when there are conflicts or other problems with a set schedule.) Regarding how many hours a particular TM gets: If your HRTM makes minimal edits to the schedule after it populates each week, TMs with greater availability will, on average and *over time*, get more hours.

If Guest Attendant is reading this, I'd be interested to hear how Walmart's scheduling process works.

I think that Walmart uses the same MAX system that we do. Their hours get screwed up all the time.

What I don't understand is how can Target have the ability to change/add/fix our PDAs and our registers....so why can't we figure out how to do a scheduling program?

I mean, I know the limitations of the program. I know it has to generate the schedule linearly (i.e. if it hits a snag it will just stop and move on to the next workcenter -- anything more sophisticated would require more time and/or resources). I just question the reasoning behind the entire program. They're trying to squeeze every bit of cost they can out of the business to maintain reasonable margins. The labor input has been reduced to the point where a program like MAX becomes necessary, because there's almost no slack anymore. When a company gets to this point, it's so far removed from its original purpose that it may as well just become a financial instrument.
I think that Walmart uses the same MAX system that we do. Their hours get screwed up all the time.

What I don't understand is how can Target have the ability to change/add/fix our PDAs and our registers....so why can't we figure out how to do a scheduling program?

I am actually one of the first ones they call in because they know I'm very reliable and love to work and will always be there. They even called me at 9:45 PM for an overnight shift knowing I have no car. I said I would be there as soon as I can and I got there at 10:30 but they were cool with it. My availability is every day anytime and let me say when I was working Pfresh I was guaranteed 8 hour shifts 3 days a week to come at 4 AM but that quickly ended and I got 3 days 5 hour shifts so I left that BS behind. Doesn't make sense where they ask you to do something and guarantee you a certain amount of hours and than renege on that guarantee.

I just thought of one of those kind of retail stories you try to repress.

It was Saturday afternoon, my day off, I was sitting on the couch, drinking some beer and watching TV.

My phone rang and I was stupid enough to answer it.

The girl on the phone said they had one cashier call in and another was a no call no show, could I come in?

I said, okay, what time?

I don't remember what time it was but whatever it was, I was about 15 minutes late.

She then got up my *word I can't use here* about being late.

I flat out told her, you should just be glad that I'm here at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back