Getting called to come in on day off

Today is my day off, and I receive a call, most likely to come in. But this is my only day off from two jobs. Do I have to call them back? What would you do? And do you feel bad? Most times I would come in but I cant this one time, I am tired.

Thanks for the help

Call back and let them know either way. You don't have to go in.. And always be nice and say "sorry have other things scheduled." They always call a bunch of people hoping one can come in but calling back lets them know to keep trying cause you respond at least.

My calls always say "call us back if you want to pick up some hours" so I assume that means they don't want a call back unless you are taking it, but ASANTS, for sure.

But, yeah, don't feel bad if you can't come in. I rarely do these days.

Do you have to go in...NO. Do you have to tell them why you can't pick up a shift. NO.

However, calling back is the professional thing to do and just confirms to your store that you are reaching back to them to let them know of your status. Your store will view you as possible resource to pickup shifts because you called back. It really does help when hours get slim.

Because I lived 10 minutes from my store, I usually carried a spare set of clothes in my car and would drop in to check on any need for me to come in. About 50% of the time, they said clock ASAP or come back at 500 to help close.

Last edited:
Don't ever call back unless you want more hours. They will never remember if you didn't call back but will always remember the times you said no.

honestly i don’t even call or text back. i know it’s kinda rude. i agree with @a1flow. and when i say no they just have that tone of voice that is suppose to make you feel guilty.

Today is my day off, and I receive a call, most likely to come in. But this is my only day off from two jobs. Do I have to call them back? What would you do? And do you feel bad? Most times I would come in but I cant this one time, I am tired.

Thanks for the help
Sometimes I end up missing the call or don’t call back but if I answer, I tell them I have something else going on. Usually they only call people who aren’t scheduled 5 days during the week.

You don't have to call back, but they'll appreciate the callback. And don't feel bad about not going in, a lot of team members (myself included) don't go in when called.
Call back and politely decline. They likely have a list of people they called and crossing off your name will help them narrow down the list of likely people who want more time.

Or don't. Don't feel bad about it...

Sometimes I end up missing the call or don’t call back but if I answer, I tell them I have something else going on. Usually they only call people who aren’t scheduled 5 days during the week.
This time of year I don't think that's really the case. I'll work 6 days this week. I was scheduled 5, called in for a 6th, I already had overtime even without coming in the 6th day.

If sometimes you want the extra hours and sometimes you don't you might as well call back. I make plans around my schedule and am scheduled up to the max hours I want. There is no reason to call me because my answer will always be no and there is no reason for me to call back. On the other hand if I am at work and you need me to stay longer that may be a yes or no depending on my other work and personal commitments. If you are a seasonal, it looks good if you can be flexible.

Sorry for digging up an old thread (semi-old), but I was called today. I had to call back because I missed the call, and they wanted me to come in tonight to work, but I already had plans so I said I couldn't do it. The person completely understood and then asked if I could come in on Wednesday for a shift. This shows, at least to me, that calling back doesn't hurt a bit, and actually could help as they may have other days/times you could fill in for that works better for you.

Back