Archived Getting Fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I come to you with a bit of a misunderstanding.

I've been working at a Target for a little under 2 years, mostly as Cart Attendant, but I've worked everywhere in the store, and I've always put my my end of the effort, always. I've gotten Great Team Hero and Top Performer multiple times. But, the back breaking cart attendant job has been getting old. I want a simpler lifestyle, so I found something else. But yesterday was Labor Day (and all of you know how that goes), and I had no way of getting to work because I take public transportation and it doesn't run at all on Labor Day. I found a new job, and I was planning on putting my two weeks in when I go in either tomorrow or ASAP. With this in mind, and the no call no show I pulled yesterday, things are looking bad. I had five different co workers text me and say I'm going to get the boot. While I'd be okay with getting fired, my question is.. Will I still be getting my vacation time? I've got over 40 hours of vacation saved up, never touched it.. but I don't want to lose it. I'm gonna fight for it, but if I don't get it, that's fine too. But I really want it.

Anyone know whether I'll be getting it if I get fired or not? All my bosses said that I won't get it because it's considered "Job abandonment" but I think they're lying.

TL;DR: I'm getting fired. Do I still get my vacation pay?

Last edited:
Edit your post/profile. Please remove your store # - we do not post such information on here!

You will get your vacation no matter what. As for no call no show, you should have informed your store in advanced that you would not be able to get public transportation on Labor Day if you were aware of the holiday bus schedule. Or at least called them that day saying you couldn't make it.

As for end of employment review, its your store's decision to apply a Corrective Action to the NCNS. You will probably get a verbal or documented warning if you have no other CAs or warnings. But if they do put you on CA and you quit, it will not look good on any future Target application but thats about it.

You will get your vacation no matter what. .

Oh my god. That's what I needed to know. THANK YOU. For all I care, they could fire me and never let me go back. At this point, it doesn't matter. I'll really miss a lot of the cashiers, instocks, and other cart attendant team members, but as far as my managers and execs go, they can shove it. That's really good to know. If I for whatever reason don't receive it, what do I want to do?

Be careful about burning your bridges! You could have found the best job in the world, but you never know when you're going to need the bullseye...

I really don't want to burn the bridges or anything, honestly. But if they're not willing to work with me, and they're in such a rush to fire me over a NCNS, I don't think it's really worth trying to hold on to that bridge. :(

You are obviously past your 90 days since you've been there for almost 2 years so....

1 NCNS can NOT get you fired. The only time you can be fired is for 3 NCNS in a row (job abandonment).

The most they can do is put you on Corrective Action, but you would have to NCNS again before you would go on either a final warning/termination. If you have a corrective action history though, you're kinda screwed.

If they do try and fire you, I would probably ask HR why you heard from team members via text message before a Team Lead/ETL even told you.

Obviously it would have been good to call before your shift (at least 2 hrs) saying you could not make it, so when you're in next I would definitely say sorry for not calling. Don't act surprised that they're mad, NCNS basically means that you didn't feel like calling in, and showed zero consideration for your team. Anyways, make things right, then get a hold of the self-term form and put your notice in. If you want to be able to possibly get rehired, be sure that you work your 2 weeks out.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are obviously past your 90 days since you've been there for almost 2 years so....

1 NCNS can NOT get you fired. The only time you can be fired is for 3 NCNS in a row (job abandonment).

The most they can do is put you on Corrective Action, but you would have to NCNS again before you would go on either a final warning/termination. If you have a corrective action history though, you're kinda screwed.

If they do try and fire you, I would probably ask HR why you heard from team members via text message before a Team Lead/ETL even told you.

Obviously it would have been good to call before your shift (at least 2 hrs) saying you could not make it, so when you're in next I would definitely say sorry for not calling. Don't act surprised that they're mad, NCNS basically means that you didn't feel like calling in, and showed zero consideration for your team. Anyways, make things right, then get a hold of the self-term form and put your notice in. If you want to be able to possibly get rehired, be sure that you work your 2 weeks out.

To make myself look better, I lied and said the phone wasn't working when I tried to call out. /lie

However, today I went in, and honestly, nobody really seems to know what is going on, at all. I went in, half my team was surprised to see me because they thought I already got fired, the other half didn't know I was quitting, and even my GSTL thought I got fired. Nobody was mad, I didn't get corrective action, or any warning at all. Honestly though, I don't think I'm gonna make it to the end of these two weeks. I just called out for a nonsense 4 hour shift today. I don't drive, so getting to work is kind of a pain in the ass, especially if it's only for 4 hours. I've always told them that I want at least 6 hours a day or don't bother scheduling me at all. They forget that sometimes I guess. (calling the overnight LOD about calling out is so much better because they don't even ask why you're calling out!)

At this point though, so long as I get my vacation pay, it doesn't even matter. That's the only thing I'm really worried about getting. I've got a new job lined up, and I don't really think using Cart Attendant as a reference really makes much of a difference on a résumé for a real job, other than saying you can do ball-breaking work for 8+ hours a day. Truthfully, I was kinda hoping to get fired today! :pardon:

Hi Jordan,best of luck with your new job,while being cart attendant might not seem much of a reference to you,if your new employers find out that you are not reliable it will not look so good,lately in out store a lot of people are getting fired and the sad thing is that the major reason is that they are not turning up for work,the company is getting too many free passes to do what they like,because tms are being immature and not behaving like adults and this covers up a multitude of other issues.

Hi Jordan,best of luck with your new job,while being cart attendant might not seem much of a reference to you,if your new employers find out that you are not reliable it will not look so good,lately in out store a lot of people are getting fired and the sad thing is that the major reason is that they are not turning up for work,the company is getting too many free passes to do what they like,because tms are being immature and not behaving like adults and this covers up a multitude of other issues.

Thanks, and I really appreciate the constructive criticism. However, I'm incredibly reliable. For the past two years, I busted my butt, showed up early every day, and worked to the point where I couldn't walk at night because of my ankle problems. I sold myself really well at my new job, and they'll be a more useful reference after I get to prove myself. I've been looking forward to this new job for a month. I was miserable at Target, and honestly.. everyone said "You know man, you gotta do what you gotta do". And I think this is exactly what I needed to do.

An NCNS and a call in within the past week will probably be remembered more, simply because we tend to remember the latter stuff first.

Thanks, and I really appreciate the constructive criticism. However, I'm incredibly reliable. For the past two years, I busted my butt, showed up early every day, and worked to the point where I couldn't walk at night because of my ankle problems. I sold myself really well at my new job, and they'll be a more useful reference after I get to prove myself. I've been looking forward to this new job for a month. I was miserable at Target, and honestly.. everyone said "You know man, you gotta do what you gotta do". And I think this is exactly what I needed to do.

Okay you might be reliable in general, but it doesn't excuse you NCNSing, and calling in because you don't want a 4 hour shift. That is irresponsible, so don't look for a lot of sympathy here if Target slaps you on the hand. Not that it matters since you're leaving I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back