Archived Getting Vacation Hours - ANNIE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey question, why do I only have 0.01 of Vacation time?
Does it go based off average hours? Even when I pick up hours it never goes up. I only get 17 hours a week.
If so that sucks cuz I've been back for 2 years and only got 0.01 hours :(

I mentioned it to one of the HR girls and she said there's nothing she can do. I think she said that cuz she was busy. I'm going to try the team lead if Annie doesn't pop in here and inform me :D

No idea if this is still the case but this is from one of my old posts back in 2011:

Straight from the TM "When am I eligible for beneifts?" form:

At 6 months* if you average 20-31.49 hours per week: Vacation - you begin to accrue and can start using vacation

* You will be eligible for benefits the first day of the pay period following the first of the month following six months of service from your anniversary date if you average 20 or more hours per week.

So there is a chance you might not be eligible to accrue yet. Once you start you would accrue 0.01923 hours of vacation for each hour worked, until 5 years worked then the rate doubles.

If you go to the www.targetpayandbenefits.com website you can view your current benefits, and also print the summary plan description for vacation.

To view/print a copy of the vacation SPD go to the "My benefits & Retirement" tab, then select under "savings and retirement" -> "overview" -> Plan information available online - > Summary Plan Descriptions - Vacation

Last edited:
No idea if this is still the case but this is from one of my old posts back in 2011:

Straight from the TM "When am I eligible for beneifts?" form:

At 6 months* if you average 20-31.49 hours per week: Vacation - you begin to accrue and can start using vacation

* You will be eligible for benefits the first day of the pay period following the first of the month following six months of service from your anniversary date if you average 20 or more hours per week.

So there is a chance you might not be eligible to accrue yet. Once you start you would accrue 0.01923 hours of vacation for each hour worked, until 5 years worked then the rate doubles.

Ugh. My Avg hours are 19.. -___- When I worked at Target in 2007-2009, I had like 42 hours working LESS hours than I do now.
I was hoping I'd be able to cash them in. My husband fell ill and hasn't been able to work and my measly 200 check won't cut it. Oh well.

Wait... when I was working holidays, I got like 30 hours a week for over a month. Why didn't I get any from that period of time.
:(

See my edit above, also from the www.targetpayandbenefits.com website on the main page if you select "My Discounts, Perks and time off" from the main screen at the bottom there is a link "View printable details of my discounts perks and time off" there is a line at the bottom of that which spells out your current level of vacation benefits.

Average hours aren't on a week to week basis, but rather over multi-month or annual averages. I'm not sure exactly when they are calculated.

They do it from the last 12 months starting at the end of the month I believe.
So your average right now would be calculated from last January.

sorry - I have had computer issues.

your best bet for your particular location and circumstances are calling TMSC at 1-800-394-1885.

My guess is that your average hours are too low to accrue to use.

You are still earning vacation hours - but you are not able to use them until they show up on your check.

Once a year, in January, Target checks your average hours for benefits. That number is used for the entire next year. So if your average is below 20 (I think) you will not see vacation hours on your check until your average is higher and January comes around to change your benefit status.

The 0.01 amount would be that you did have vacation hours at one time and used almost all of them.

Please let me know if you find out otherwise. Let me know if I can help. Thanks

your best bet for your particular location and circumstances are calling TMSC at 1-800-394-1885.

You are still earning vacation hours - but you are not able to use them until they show up on your check.

Once a year, in January, Target checks your average hours for benefits. That number is used for the entire next year. So if your average is below 20 (I think) you will not see vacation hours on your check until your average is higher and January comes around to change your benefit status.

The 0.01 amount would be that you did have vacation hours at one time and used almost all of them.

That's what's odd. I've never used vacation hours at all since I got rehired back in 2010.
Every time I've gone to look for Vacation hours, it's always been 0.01.

I've used Vacation before when I worked at another store before i took a 10 month break from Spot

I found this
Average Hours Calculation Date
18.61 01/02/2013

Does that mean I won't be getting any vacation hours at all?

That's what's odd. I've never used vacation hours at all since I got rehired back in 2010.
Every time I've gone to look for Vacation hours, it's always been 0.01.

I've used Vacation before when I worked at another store before i took a 10 month break from Spot

I found this
Average Hours Calculation Date
18.61 01/02/2013

Does that mean I won't be getting any vacation hours at all?

this is what is says on eHR:

Vacation
Eligible team members begin to accrue (earn) and take vacation based on eligibility requirements outlined in their Benefits Summary. Summaries are available from your HR Representative/ETL-HR.

Eligible team members will accrue vacation hours on each paycheck. Non-Exempt/Hourly team members accrue vacation based on hours paid and length of service, up to their annual accrual limit. Exempt team members accrue vacation based on a constant rate determined by length of service, up to their annual accrual limit.

Vacation accrual increases due to service anniversaries (i.e. 5, 10, and 25 years of service) will take effect the first day of the pay period following the anniversary date.

The maximum amount of vacation hours an eligible team member may accrue is two times their annual accrual limit.

Example: If a team member accrues two weeks of vacation per year (80 hours), the maximum they could accrue would be 160 hours (four weeks).

Vacation balances are carried into the next calendar year. Eligible team members will accrue vacation hours until they have reached their vacation maximum accrual limit. Vacation accrual limits and other plan information is available in the Vacation Policy.

the key word in all that is 'eligible'

the question you will need to ask TMSC is -

why do I not see any vacation hours that I can use on my paycheck?

The answer will be that your average hours worked is below 20. Once your average hours are above that, AND it is that amount for the January benefits eligibility, you will see the vacation hours start on your check.

They are available Mon - Fri central time.

I hope that helps - let me know

Last edited:
So let me get this straight. I just checked my average hours which were updated on the 1st and it's just a tick under 30 hours. Even though I've been working 35+ hour weeks for the last few months, does that mean I won't get my average updated until NEXT YEAR and thus not be eligible for 32+ average perks? I'm confused.

Ck your paychecks back in June for average hours, it will tell your average hours back then.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight. I just checked my average hours which were updated on the 1st and it's just a tick under 30 hours. Even though I've been working 35+ hour weeks for the last few months, does that mean I won't get my average updated until NEXT YEAR and thus not be eligible for 32+ average perks? I'm confused.

Your average will update every month, but when it comes to calculating eligibility for benefits (except for new hires?), only one of those calculations each year counts.

I was always under the impression that the benefits eligibility calculation came at the end of January rather than the beginning (that is, the start of Target's fiscal year as opposed to the start of the calendar year). So, if you were a bit shy on the 1/1 calculation but worked enough in January, you could get up to the 32 average in time for the annual calculation. Sadly, though, you almost certainly can't work enough in one month to bring yourself up from 29.x to 32.x. To bump your average that much, you'd have to have averaged no more than about 10hrs/week last January, and been full-time this January.

Last edited:
Not to mention, I went on vacation this month, lol. I used vacation hours and still worked a bit each week I was gone, but still. Whaa. That stinks. I don't go in for benefits, but I know there's some added perks for full time employees pay-wise as far as I know, and I was looking forward to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back