Archived Ghosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it happened recently in my department. She said she was gonna give notice but just stopped showing up. Another team member left with just a note on the register saying he quit.

07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpg

Years ago, HR stopped sending out acknowledgments, and some didn't even send rejection letters after interviews.

In short, they established ghosting as protocol.
A “Thank You for your interest, but,... “ email has been sent out to rejections for as long as I’ve been in HR, and that’s over half a decade. As soon as an applicant had been turned down it will aotopopulate and send a form email to the email address that the applicant used on their application.

The worst ghosting at past jobs has been quite unfortunately in the literal sense, if you believe in an afterlife anyway. 18 wheelers need their own roads.

A “Thank You for your interest, but,... “ email has been sent out to rejections for as long as I’ve been in HR, and that’s over half a decade. As soon as an applicant had been turned down it will aotopopulate and send a form email to the email address that the applicant used on their application.
I wasn't referring to Target specifically.

I got that email then a week later they called me in.

AKA self-terming.
I had a kid quit during register training his first day.
HRTM said one quit after orientation.
Forever ago, when my store was preparing to open, they hired three cart attendants during our mass hire. I was one of them. Of the other two, one never showed up for orientation, and the other quit after seeing the cart attendant safety video. (Do any of you remember the safety video with the dude who put his eye out with a cart rope? Apparently Target doesn't, because they started issuing cart ropes again.) They had to get two salesfloor team members and connive them into doubling as cart attendants for our opening.

I've heard of almost-TMs not showing up for their first shift or quitting after orientation. When the recession was still in full swing, there were a couple TMs still within their 90 days who pulled a NCNS; as someone who has actual bills to pay, it always surprises me when someone does something like that, but I guess if you're still living at home....
At another non-retail job, it happened occasionally that employees would quit after orientation, telling me that the job wasn't what they thought it would be. (I did the interviewing and training in an industry with a lot of turnover - in-home elder care - and wasn't at all dishonest in how I presented the job. Plus there was a lot of variability for work assignments and we respected employees' preferences. Can't please everyone.)

I half ghosted a job once. I had given a month's notice, but between a complete change in procedure right at the same time that caused more stress and unrealistic expectations than Target, and an illness that was causing me horrible pain (you know the pain scale, 10 is the worst pain you've ever felt? My previous worst pain dropped to a 7) plus inability to use my arm, I just lost it. I was getting in trouble for not doing things that the doctor put on my FMLA paperwork (intermittent, for that illness, the days I hurt too much and doctor/PT appointments), hell I got in trouble because I had to switch to a left handed mouse configuration and my replacement I was training couldn't manage it and I was told by the manager to unplug her mouse from her computer and plug it into my computer and I tried to say it wouldn't work and the manager didn't want to hear it. There was one guy in the office getting shit from the manager and was sympathetic, about a week and a half before my leave date we were closing together, I had gotten in trouble again for not doing something that my FMLA paperwork said I couldn't do, I covered my desk with sticky notes explaining what piles and stacks were what, gave my keys to the guy and told him I wasn't sure I was coming in the next day. I didn't. And I changed my phone number a couple days before to change area codes and I never told anyone at work the new number since I was leaving in a couple weeks, so they couldn't call and bitch at me.

That was shortly before Target. It took me 3 years to get a job close to my field of experience despite several applications and a few interviews, and I am certain this job the hiring manager didn't bother to contact past employers. I'm pretty sure that job was talking shit about me to all potential employers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back