Archived Gift card cash-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

calinstocks

GSTL, Bay Area
Anyone have any tips for dealing with massive gift card cash-outs? I live in California and there is no longer any limit on the amount of gift cards that can be cashed out under $10, even though it used to be max 3, so recently I have had the SAME woman cashing out about $2,000 in GCs every few nights, and I'm losing my mind.

As wiredharpoon said, I would get with the ETL AP to see how they would like to handle this. $2,000 is an incredibly high amount, so not only is she likely engaging in fraudulent activity, she is being highly disruptive to the store's activities by commanding the sole attention of a TM for long periods of time and likely requiring trips to the safe to replenish the cash. I'm sure AP or your store's other leadership (STL, ETL GE) would like to put a stop to it.

I personally wish we would go to Jamba Juice's policy for gift card cash outs in CA- if it's one card and under $5, they'll do it in store. If it's over $5 but under $10, or there are multiple cards, you have to mail them in with your name and address. I'm sure all the fraudsters looking for an easy target have moved on from them...

Have you asked her why she's cashing all of them out or has she offered an explanation? Do you ever see her doing anything else at the store?

I've had guests come straight from the lanes to cash out the gift card they JUST got due to a promotion. I'm not sure if we're allowed to cash those out though. Anybody hear something about that?

I've had guests come straight from the lanes to cash out the gift card they JUST got due to a promotion. I'm not sure if we're allowed to cash those out though. Anybody hear something about that?

A GSA can confirm but I thought you are only supposed to cash out when you buy something. You are not allowed to exchange a gift card for cash.

I think it varies by state. In mine, we used to cash out if the value was less than $1 after the transaction, but that has been some time ago.

We NEVER cash out gift cards. I was under the impression that it's against company policy.

The purpose of a gift card is to keep sale in Target. Cashing them out for people to go spend money at Wal-Mart makes no sense.

We NEVER cash out gift cards. I was under the impression that it's against company policy.

The purpose of a gift card is to keep sale in Target. Cashing them out for people to go spend money at Wal-Mart makes no sense.

Most stores cash them out but they only cash them out when there is cents on them. I am not taking my 88 cents to Wal Mart. I bet it saves time of people trying to use gift cards with no money on them holding up the line LOL

Most stores cash them out but they only cash them out when there is cents on them. I am not taking my 88 cents to Wal Mart. I bet it saves time of people trying to use gift cards with no money on them holding up the line LOL

In some states, like mine, we're required to cash out gift cards, regardless of how many they have.

In some states, like mine, we're required to cash out gift cards, regardless of how many they have.
WTF?!
So I could just steal something and return it for a gift card then cash the gift card?

WTF?!
So I could just steal something and return it for a gift card then cash the gift card?

Yep. So if they have 20 cards, all under $10, we have to cash them out, even though the law says nothing to prohibit us from limiting how many gift cards someone cashes out.

Yep. So if they have 20 cards, all under $10, we have to cash them out, even though the law says nothing to prohibit us from limiting how many gift cards someone cashes out.
Forgive me, but isn't it $9.99 and under? If they have a card for exactly $10, we can still turn them down, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back